Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

DD Suspension Advise / Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
RetchedOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DD Suspension Advise / Thoughts

Now that the vortech is in, I'm on a mission to improve the overall handling of my Z. I DD my car, but want to attend a track event or two this summer. I'm not talking every weekend, but a few times would be fun.

Overall i want to be able to take corners better, keep the power on the road (not up in smoke), "straighten" out the road, and improve the stance of the Z (Lose some gap).

My first thought was I could throw some stance coilovers on, adjust the rebound, add some hotchkis sways and be good.... Then I read JasonZ-YA's Suspension 101 for the third time, and got some more ideas.

I'm not as concerned with the lowering of the car as i am the handling, although I do want to lose some of the off-road looking gap the Z comes with. I'm not sold on the need for adjustability of cols, or even if they're needed, as it seems some good hotchkis sways will do quite a bit.

I want to do this correct, even if it means buy some parts now, wait a few and buy some more, or wait for used parts to show up.

I'm thinking that the following should give me the results I am after -

Stance Pro coils (non-oem style)
Hotchkis sways
SPL Rear Camber links
SPL Eccentric Lockout kit
SPL Rear Toe Links

future -
SPL Solid Diff bushings (Then fly JasonZ-YA up to seattle for the install)
Add A-Arms up front

It seems the above list will allow me to lower the car slightly, stiffen up the suspension, and controll body roll in the corners, and HOLD the alignment as there will be no crappy washers to give out and throw my alignment off.

The parts dont have to be all SPL, I just like the quality and continued praise on their quaility on the postings I've read.

I'm not sold on Stance coils, as people seem to run these that want to "slam" their car... That's not what i'm after.
I looked at the KW v1's (or eiback re-brands), but their not adjustable...
I also looked at the Nismo S-Tune suspension, but it seems pricey for what you do/dont get.

Wheels are stock 18's with Hancook
I will go aftermarket, and a bit wider both front and rear when the time comes.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
I've been reading various searched posts for almost 2 weeks now... Seems everyeon has an opinion, and what they like.

Last edited by RetchedOne; 02-21-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RetchedOne
Thoughts/Suggestions?
I've been reading various searched posts for almost 2 weeks now... Seems everyeon has an opinion, and what they like.
That is what it comes down to. You can search and read for months and still not be able to decide. It helps tons to read though. In the end it comes down to "try it out, if it works, good otherwise call it a fail and try something else if you still have something left on the budget. Suspension decision is very tough. Someone can swear on a setup that the other guy would not take as a gift
Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
carlili4190

Originally Posted by RetchedOne
I looked at the KW v1's (or eiback re-brands), but their not adjustable...
Have you looked at the V2's? They are adjustable. So are the V3's
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
RetchedOne

Originally Posted by carlili4190
Have you looked at the V2's? They are adjustable. So are the V3's
I have looked at the KW v2's
Not sure if i need them based on my needs, or there is something else that might be a better fit.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

KW v2 and v3 VS Stance is a major price difference. I personally feel that you will get what you pay for in this department. I bought Stance Gr+ Pro, and I feel I got what I paid for, which wasn't much.

I am underwhelmed by the adjust-ability and handling these coils give you. The damping adjustments do not have a great discernible range between one end of the spectrum and the other. I got in someone elses thread that said his Stance were bouncy, and I can say mine are they exact opposite and they are brutally hard.

If it is DD I vote to upgrade shocks and get lowering springs. Maybe consider low end Tein System?
Edit: Unless you're big ballin then by all means KW V3 FTW!

Last edited by ocdz; 02-21-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

D Specs and a set of lowering spring will probably work best for you needs.