Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How can I correct "loose steering"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM
SSNOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is your loose feeling play in the wheel or a lack of steering response?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
PeterSellers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I checked the play by turning the steering wheel from outside the car. It seems like the tire moves like it should when I turn the wheel, in other words there isn't much or any play when I turn the steering wheel before the tires start to move. I guess what I'm feeling then is more a lack of sensitivity...I feel like I need to turn the steering wheel too much (in my opinion, compared to my friends 07) in order to get the proper response.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM
gregom

Try putting a couple more PSI of air in your tires, specifically the fronts. That may take away a little sluggishness or lazy feeling from the steering. Tire compound and air pressure can make big differences in how the steering feels and reacts.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 AM
SSNOS

^ those two factors affect responsiveness alot. The right tires make up about 90% of a good setup. Following that I would look into toe, camber, spring rates and dampening. They all work together to dial in/out steering response.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
PeterSellers

Yep, I'm starting to think it's the shitty tires I have on there (goodyear RS-As). I did the move the steering wheel from outside the car test and saw that the tire does indeed move as soon as i turn the wheel, so there doesn't seem to be any excess play.

I'm looking at replacing my POS tires with some Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's, hopefully that will fix the issue.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterSellers
I'm looking at replacing my POS tires with some Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's, hopefully that will fix the issue.
Great tire, but they really don't have a size for the Z
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Great tire, but they really don't have a size for the Z
Really? I had no problem finding the right size on Tire Rack, and the nearby tire shop had no issue ordering them for me either. They should be coming in on Friday, hopefully that fixes the problem.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Really? I had no problem finding the right size on Tire Rack, and the nearby tire shop had no issue ordering them for me either. They should be coming in on Friday, hopefully that fixes the problem.
My bad, just looked, i was thinking about Star Specs.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
PeterSellers

Got the RE-11's put on...amazing tire as far as grip is concerned but steering response/looseness still feels the same as before.

I guess I'll check to see if the compression arm bushings are worn this weekend when I do an oil change, if not I'll probably take it to a good alignment shop to see if they can figure out the issue.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
gregom

Good luck... sucks the tires weren't the answer.

I've never heard of it but maybe the steering rack or pump is going bad? May be worth looking into if you find all your bushings are ok.

I'm still a bit confused by your descriptions of the problem though. Is the steering heavier and slow to respond when moved quickly? Or is it loose, and light... excessive play and movement before anything happens?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
PeterSellers

I don't detect much if any play. In other words, when I turn the wheel, the tires do seem to react immediately. The problem is that they don't turn as much as they should be so I have to turn the wheel more to get the same effect compared to my friend's Z. It also seems easier to turn my steering wheel, which contributes to the feeling of looseness. This is really apparent when going through some 30mph-ish switchbacks...the steering feels really loose then. I hope that's a little clearer...

Last edited by PeterSellers; 04-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
gregom

Have you let your friend drive your car? What size tires is he running on his car? If he has wider tires up front than you do that would make the steering heavier.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Rauly04

I'm no expert but I figure i would give my 2cents. This wouldn't have to do anything with travel of the wheels vs. the steering wheel but it would make a huge difference in your steering wheel feel and how it comes back when you let go after turning. I'm referring to the adjustment bolt that looks like a huge nut on the power steering rack. Tighten it a little to remove some slack and that might just do it.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by Rauly04
I'm no expert but I figure i would give my 2cents. This wouldn't have to do anything with travel of the wheels vs. the steering wheel but it would make a huge difference in your steering wheel feel and how it comes back when you let go after turning. I'm referring to the adjustment bolt that looks like a huge nut on the power steering rack. Tighten it a little to remove some slack and that might just do it.
Where is this bolt located...is it easy to get to? I wasn't aware we could adjust the rack
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 AM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by gregom
Have you let your friend drive your car? What size tires is he running on his car? If he has wider tires up front than you do that would make the steering heavier.
Yep, he's driven it and he agrees the steering is looser. He's got the same size tires as me.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm really thinking its a difference between alignment specs of the two cars you have driven, a bad bushing on one of ther two cars and can even come down to tire pressure of the two cars.

I own 2 350Z's, and i drive plenty of other Z's when i work on them. I've driven around 15 different cars this year, none of them feel the same. No 2 cars are a like, but there is crazy difference between the different Z's.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Patrick250

I don't detect much if any play. In other words, when I turn the wheel, the tires do seem to react immediately. The problem is that they don't turn as much as they should be so I have to turn the wheel more to get the same effect compared to my friend's Z. It also seems easier to turn my steering wheel, which contributes to the feeling of looseness. This is really apparent when going through some 30mph-ish switchbacks...the steering feels really loose then. I hope that's a little clearer...
This maybe a dumb question but does your steering wheel have the same number of turns lock to lock as your friends? You mentioned that the rack was replaced. Maybe it's not OEM? Was the rack ever replaced before this?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by Patrick250
This maybe a dumb question but does your steering wheel have the same number of turns lock to lock as your friends? You mentioned that the rack was replaced. Maybe it's not OEM? Was the rack ever replaced before this?
I don't know if the rack was ever replaced before this. I would imagine that it's OEM since the dealer replaced it. I just checked with my friend's car, the wheels have the same number of turns lock to lock and the tires look like they are at about the same angle between the two cars when the steering wheel is turned all the way to one side.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I'm really thinking its a difference between alignment specs of the two cars you have driven, a bad bushing on one of ther two cars and can even come down to tire pressure of the two cars.

I own 2 350Z's, and i drive plenty of other Z's when i work on them. I've driven around 15 different cars this year, none of them feel the same. No 2 cars are a like, but there is crazy difference between the different Z's.
Well since I just replaced the tires and nothing changed, I doubt it has anything to do with the tires at all. I looked under the car over the weekend while doing an oil change and didn't see anything out of the ordinary as far as bushings go. The compression arm bushing looked like it might have had a small crack in it but I couldn't tell if that was from wear or not.

I'm taking it to a specialty alignment shop tomorrow morning, hopefully they can fix whatever it is that's causing the looseness.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by Patrick250

That's not a stupid question at all...

Anyway PeterSellers good luck, I hope they find your problem. I'm running out of ideas... Although it would help if I could actually drive and experience it myself. Trying to understand descriptions in text from someone who (no offense) thinks differently and has different perspectives is difficult.

The ONLY other thing I could think of that would cause looseness (not such as I believe you described it, but i'll mention this anyway) is the steering column "collar". This is a plastic piece that connections the upper and lower column shafts. This piece had cracked on my Z after a collision with a curb and since then my steering had about 3/4 inch of play in it. Where you can move the steering wheel back and forth but it had no weight and didn't move the wheels. I don't believe this is what your describing, but thought it was worth mentioning at this point.

You can see the (white) collar by lifting up the rubber grommet at the bottom of the column from within the cabin. Although this area is definitely something for the experts or the mechanically inclined with a full Factory Service Manual as a guide.

Last edited by gregom; 04-12-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: How can I correct "loose steering"?