Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How can I correct "loose steering"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM
PeterSellers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregom
That's not a stupid question at all...

Anyway PeterSellers good luck, I hope they find your problem. I'm running out of ideas... Although it would help if I could actually drive and experience it myself. Trying to understand descriptions in text from someone who (no offense) thinks differently and has different perspectives is difficult.

The ONLY other thing I could think of that would cause looseness (not such as I believe you described it, but i'll mention this anyway) is the steering column "collar". This is a plastic piece that connections the upper and lower column shafts. This piece had cracked on my Z after a collision with a curb and since then my steering had about 3/4 inch of play in it. Where you can move the steering wheel back and forth but it had no weight and didn't move the wheels. I don't believe this is what your describing, but thought it was worth mentioning at this point.

You can see the (white) collar by lifting up the rubber grommet at the bottom of the column from within the cabin. Although this area is definitely something for the experts or the mechanically inclined with a full Factory Service Manual as a guide.
Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. I'll take a look at the column collar this weekend.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM
PeterSellers

I took it into an alignment shop this morning, and they found nothing wrong with the car's alignment.

I think this weekend I'm going to take a look under my friend's car to see if there's anything different under there. He bought it used, so I guess it's possible the previous owner made a few modifications that he's not aware of.

I also think I'm just going to buy some sway bars. I've been meaning to do that anyway, plus I've heard that they help tighten up the steering.

Last edited by PeterSellers; 04-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder how thorough they were in their inspection. Did they check other steering related parts other than just the alignment?

Yeah man this is a weird one... hope the sway bars fix it but I doubt it will personally. I hope i'm wrong though.

Sometimes on these weird *** problems you can't figure out... you go to a small garage and try to get a few of the mechanics together to talk about the problem, and then say "i'll give $100 cash to the guy who figures this problem out". This of course would be on top of the repair costs, but when that kind of offer comes up people use their brains and start thinking to find the problem. It's amazing what a few hunskies will get out of a mechanic just to find a solution but not actually do the repair.

Anyway, let us know what the final fix is... I really hope you find it soon because i'm starting to feel your pain from afar.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
PeterSellers

I'm not sure what they all checked exactly. But the guy said that the steering was "tight" (his words) and that he noticed that the wheels turned exactly when the steering wheel turned, in other words there was no play at all.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM
PeterSellers

Also, this is the part that the dealer just replaced not too long ago:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/49001-g...4_715_815_821&

This resulted in almost no change to the steering feel that I could tell.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
gregom

Yeah your whole steering rack.... was that an under warranty replacement? The feeling your describing that is bothering you didn't change after the new rack was installed? They probably replaced the tie rod ends and bushings as well I would think, but perhaps not. Maybe you should call them and ask for more details. At this point I don't know what the problem is... maybe its all in your head? lol.

I'm not sure man, maybe have the power steering pump checked or replaced. I don't really know much about the hydraulics involved in this but if the pump is weak and not pushing the fluid through the system fast enough I could see it affecting the feeling while steering.

So far the rack, (tie rod ends, i'm assuming), and tires have been replaced and your steering still feels weird? The only thing left is the pump and the steering column.

Did you ever try putting a little more air in your tires? What PSI are you at? Usually adding some more air in the front tires will make the steering feel lighter, getting quicker response from the steering when cornering, but slightly less grip. Taking air out and running a little low will make the steering heavier, with slower and less accurate response when cornering, but with more grip.

I really want to drive your car now to figure out what the hell is bothering you... lol. This problem is really perplexing to say the least.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I can check it out next week, i'll be out in the North County on tuesday for a week.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
PeterSellers

Yeah your whole steering rack.... was that an under warranty replacement? The feeling your describing that is bothering you didn't change after the new rack was installed? They probably replaced the tie rod ends and bushings as well I would think, but perhaps not. Maybe you should call them and ask for more details. At this point I don't know what the problem is... maybe its all in your head? lol.

I'm not sure man, maybe have the power steering pump checked or replaced. I don't really know much about the hydraulics involved in this but if the pump is weak and not pushing the fluid through the system fast enough I could see it affecting the feeling while steering.

So far the rack, (tie rod ends, i'm assuming), and tires have been replaced and your steering still feels weird? The only thing left is the pump and the steering column.

Did you ever try putting a little more air in your tires? What PSI are you at? Usually adding some more air in the front tires will make the steering feel lighter, getting quicker response from the steering when cornering, but slightly less grip. Taking air out and running a little low will make the steering heavier, with slower and less accurate response when cornering, but with more grip.

I really want to drive your car now to figure out what the hell is bothering you... lol. This problem is really perplexing to say the least.
Yeah looks like they replaced 49001, which seems to be the entire rack assembly. I did try pumping up my tires with more air (before I had them replaced)...no change.

I'm going to jack the car up again this week and take the front wheels off and try to move the suspension by hand to see if any of the bushings are torn. I noticed a small crack in one of the compression arm bushings so I'm wondering now if the looseness is coming from that.

I've thought about the pump too, but generally when a pump is going bad it provides less pressure and makes it harder to turn the wheel, not easier like mine. Maybe it could be that a hose is kinked or blocked partially or something which might be increasing pressure to a part of the system...who knows.

Last edited by PeterSellers; 04-15-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I can check it out next week, i'll be out in the North County on tuesday for a week.
Where at in North County? I can meet up with you after work during the week most likely.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
PeterSellers

The other thing I noticed is that my alignment sheet says that my left front caster is 8.3 degrees but the right front is 8.2 degrees (both are within spec). However since the caster isn't adjustable at all, I'm wondering if the small change in one could be because of a worn/torn bushing.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by PeterSellers
The other thing I noticed is that my alignment sheet says that my left front caster is 8.3 degrees but the right front is 8.2 degrees (both are within spec). However since the caster isn't adjustable at all, I'm wondering if the small change in one could be because of a worn/torn bushing.
Its good, the bushing problem usually shows a .5 or more difference. I'll be in Fallbrook, but a lot of time spend in Oceanside and all the way to Chula Vista.

Your rack was replaced, wonder if they replaced it with a 03 to 05 rack, there were slight changes in 06+ to make the steering quicker. The dealer could have throw an older rack in it, direct bolt in.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM
PeterSellers

Its good, the bushing problem usually shows a .5 or more difference. I'll be in Fallbrook, but a lot of time spend in Oceanside and all the way to Chula Vista.

Your rack was replaced, wonder if they replaced it with a 03 to 05 rack, there were slight changes in 06+ to make the steering quicker. The dealer could have throw an older rack in it, direct bolt in.
If they did replace it with an older rack I can't tell, since it feels exactly the same as the rack I had in there before. I'm pretty sure it's the same type of rack as before. I guess it's possible they lied and didnt replace anything though

I live in the city, but I can drive to meet you pretty much wherever if you have time during the evenings or later at night. Let me know if you have some free time next week, that would be awesome if you could get a chance to feel the steering yourself.

Last edited by PeterSellers; 04-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
gregom

Well bushings seem the most likely answer... and the cheapest to replace.

I doubt they would of said they replaced the rack and didn't. If you can prove it then your in a big win position.

You still didn't say if it was under warranty or not. And did they say why they replaced it? Just curious...
Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I think that the OP may be imagining it - no offense. Terrasmak did say he'll check it out, so hopefully that'll help.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
PeterSellers

Well bushings seem the most likely answer... and the cheapest to replace.

I doubt they would of said they replaced the rack and didn't. If you can prove it then your in a big win position.

You still didn't say if it was under warranty or not. And did they say why they replaced it? Just curious...
Yeah they replaced it under warranty. They replaced it because of the reason I mentioned in the first post, but the tech also noticed that the rack was clunking at full lock (something I hadn't noticed myself).
Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 AM
gregom

Let us know what you and terrasmak find out...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
PeterSellers

Well I never heard back from terrasmak, but it wouldnt have mattered anyways as I had to fly up north for a family emergency. I think the tentative plans for me are to get the compression arm bushings and some sway bars / endlinks to see if that helps any. I'll post an update once those get put on.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Sorry , i never made it out past Carlsbad, kinda a wild vacation. I had a lot going on, so much for relaxing on the beach most of the time i was there. Well Cal Speedway for Redline at the end of May, i can check it out or Paladin Advanced Automotive will check it out, we will be down there crewing the THmotorsports STi.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 AM
SlipZ

A blown compression arm bushing will cause that. Is your car lowered?
+1, does your steering wheel shakes when you hit a bump?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 PM
gregom

I think blown lower ball joint could possibly cause steering shake too when running over a bump, especially while cornering as opposed to driving in a straight line.

Sucks you haven't found the prob man... let us know what you eventually find out.