Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rotora BBK break in steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM
f-350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotora BBK break in steps

Soon will be replacing my complete brembo brakes to a brand new Rotora 6pot/4pot 14" BBK (floating rotors). What steps shall I follow to break them in in a proper way? Dunno if there's an instructions included in the kit's boxes, or if it has been posted somewhere here before.

Need your experience with that guys

Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Standard bed in process, or just drive
Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 PM
nismo1234

are you gonna sell ur brembos?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Generally brakes are not broken in, pads are bed in. Select your pads, go to the manufactures web site for more help.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 AM
f-350z

Originally Posted by nismo1234
are you gonna sell ur brembos?
Yes I'm gonna sell my brembos

Originally Posted by davidv
Generally brakes are not broken in, pads are bed in. Select your pads, go to the manufactures web site for more help.
I think rotors also need to be broken in, right?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 AM
flecko28

I'm lazy so I copy-pasted, but essentially:

All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder

Failure to follow these procedures may result in brake judder, excessive noise, or other difficulties in bedding-in the new brake pads. The pads need a fresh surface to lay down an even transfer film. Residue from the previous pad compound on the surface or an irregular surface on a used rotor will cause the pads to grip-slip-grip-slip as they pass over the rotor surface under pressure. The resulting vibration will cause noise and telegraph vibrations through the suspension and steering wheel. This vibration is known as brake judder or brake shimmy. This is typically caused by an uneven transfer film on the rotor surface or an uneven surface on the rotor not allowing that transfer film to develop evenly. This is often misdiagnosed as a warped rotor.
So unless otherwise specified by Rotora, drive normally with no hard braking or no riding the brakes. I dont want to say "do it for this long" because I don't want to give incorrect information - so I would suggest calling Rotora and asking them what the recommend.