Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilstein PSS 10 vs KW Variant 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
wicked7o7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS 10 vs KW Variant 2

tried searching for differences between the two as well as opinions on both and could not find what i was looking for. im set to buy either one of these and want to know which is the best way to go seeing that they are pretty much the same price if im not wrong.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

You can't go wrong with either. They are both outstanding coilovers.
They both have lots of R&D, excellent quality, great ride comfort whilst still being firm, and i believe they both offer rebuilds.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 PM
wicked7o7

i read on e46fanatics.com that the kw v2 has alot of problems such as dampers failing; leaking dampers, rattling dampers, cracked shock bodies, and bad included end-links (minor issue.

anyone here have any problems with theirs?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

i haven't heard any issues about them on here. ??????
Maybe there is a design flaw with BMW suspension?
If it worries you, you could also go with the HKS Hipermax III. I've got them on my car and i love them, there fantastic, and there about the same price range.

Another really good one is the ohlins. A bit more expensive but definitely worth it aswell.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
carlili4190

I was debating between the two as well. I ended up going with the Bilstein PSS10's and I absolutely love them. I would recommend them.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

My brother runs KW's on his STi and they have been great for 3 years of autocrossing.

They turned his heavy car into quite the dancer. The ride is a bit stiff, but the trade off is worth it IMHO.

I have ran Bilstein shocks on my Magnum RT for 40k miles and they improved both ride and handling. (although I don't know that either of these examples will translate directly to your aplication.)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked7o7
tried searching for differences between the two as well as opinions on both and could not find what i was looking for. im set to buy either one of these and want to know which is the best way to go seeing that they are pretty much the same price if im not wrong.

Get the Pss10 if you want a improved, abit softer ride quality. In that mission they are beyond reproach, flat out excellent. But as a product that is added onto a legitimate sports car, your neutering the sport out of the car. If you own them, keep damping settings on the low side to avoid sending mid and high speed damping into undesired territory.

I have owned the product and run them on a shock dyno (a poster child IMO of why seeing a dyno before you buy should be required like EPA numbers on new car window stickers).

Yes they have adjustable damping. But, those adjustors make the WRONG things happen when you attempt to turn things up. Yeah it will "feel" stiffer. But what happens is the wrong damping elements get increased while thing things that need to become stiffer to truely influence handing in a positive way remain unchanged. You get duped into thinking your car handle's better when you factually just went in the opposite direction.

Get the Kw Variant 2 of you want a simular ride quality, but you would like adjustable damping that does what its supposed to do. Having said that, I've also run the Kw Variant 2 on a shock dyno. For the street, half stiff would be your practical limit. You could use stiffer settings, but looking at how high rebound control levels get, they should be reserved for the track and only if you have proven that your times dropped.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 07-13-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Gsedan35 for the informative opinon. I've always value your infos, when it's about the Z/G.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about truechoice phase 2? similar price too, but I believe leaning more towards tracking the car.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by apex locator
how about truechoice phase 2? similar price too, but I believe leaning more towards tracking the car.
Hands down the Truechoice phase 2 and the key is "leaning more towards tracking the car".

Linear springs at all 4 corners, and when I laid the shock dyno's down over the Kw variant 2 dyno's you see more aggresive low speed rebound control range in the front. In the rear it is more pronounced. Though the Kw will have a better ride quality because it's lower settings don't have as much low speed rebound control.

Truechoice Phase 2 coilovers are of course off the shelf koni yellows with Truechoices coilover kit hardward. Spring rates should be 525/425
Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i realize they are koni yellows, but I thought they were customed valved for their application by truechoice. If they are indeed OTS, why not just buy koni yellows and springs and piece together your own suspension?...save a few...

Although truechoice will convert the rear to a true coilover if requested, at no extra cost.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Hands down the Truechoice phase 2 and the key is "leaning more towards tracking the car".

Linear springs at all 4 corners, and when I laid the shock dyno's down over the Kw variant 2 dyno's you see more aggresive low speed rebound control range in the front. In the rear it is more pronounced. Though the Kw will have a better ride quality because it's lower settings don't have as much low speed rebound control.

Truechoice Phase 2 coilovers are of course off the shelf koni yellows with Truechoices coilover kit hardward. Spring rates should be 525/425

great info as always
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Kuhan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Bilstein Pss10. I picked these over KW V2 for a few reasons. One reason is the adjustable rear damper on the Pss10 is in the bottom of the strut, which I can adjust within 5 seconds vs KW V2 rear damper is on top of the strut, which you have to adjust through the rear strut bar (have to get extenders and/or widen the holes in the strut bar to access it). Another reason is I got a good deal on Pss10 coilovers.