Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Different F & R coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
nismomike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different F & R coilovers?

Guys, hoping you all could provide insight. A buddy of mine got rear ended in Connecticut, and he is salvaging what he can. He had HKS Hipermax III sports in his car. The fronts were fine, the rears not so much. He would give me his fronts for 300 cash plus dinner. My question is-- can I run the HKS III coils up front and have a different set of oem coilovers in the rear? I am currently f*cking around with MDU coilovers and I am wondering if there was anything hugely detrimental about this? The HKS spring rate in the front is 11 kg, and the MDU I have is 10k rear. Would this work out okay. I know the rear suspension isnt as technical and overloaded as the fronts are? Hope you could help me out! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Probably work well
Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What would prevent you from putting one brand on the front and another on the rear? Kind of like “Can I run Goodyear tires on the front and Continental on the rear?”
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I know the rear suspension isnt as technical and overloaded as the fronts are?"

It's not a FWD car where the rear is pretty much along for the ride. The Z is RWD and still has 47% of the car's weight in back. If your going to get the power down well and manage all the other weight transfer issues that happen, the rear still needs to be managed well. Does that rule out the idea of HKS III sport fronts and MDU rears, it depends on how well the MDU rear are up to the job out back. Which I have to wonder if your willing to kick the front MDU units to the curb and try this. You must feel you have something to gain that is lacking in the MDU fronts. Which I'd think is also lacking in the rear.

I've run different rear dampers myself, but I had shock dyno's too. And both were based on the same Koni cores.

Are we certain that the rear HKS dampers can't be salvaged? I could see how the car could be so messed up that you can even get to them if you tried. And then, are the bodies and piston rods 100% straight? Are the lower mounts toast?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go mismatching dampers. Either order replacements for the rears, or skip on the HKS. Proper coilovers are engineered to control front to rear oscillation, weight transfer, ride height, and other factors. HKS' engineers matched their rear dampers to their fronts. If you want suspension that functions and performs properly, it's not going to be cheap.

HKS USA is no longer selling replacement parts direct to consumers as far as I know, because they're going to be shutting down entirely soon. If you want to try to salvage the rears or just order new ones, feel free to let me know. I'll see what we can do for you.

Post pics of the rears, and make sure the shaft's aren't bent.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 08-09-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ thanks Vivid I ment to mentioni HKS pending exit from North America.

Since the III has full height adjustablity, it would mean that ruined rear lower mounts are a seperate part. As long as the threads are fine, you can simply spin off the lower mounts. Though as noted, getting parts might be a issue.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
nismomike

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
"I know the rear suspension isnt as technical and overloaded as the fronts are?"

It's not a FWD car where the rear is pretty much along for the ride. The Z is RWD and still has 47% of the car's weight in back. If your going to get the power down well and manage all the other weight transfer issues that happen, the rear still needs to be managed well. Does that rule out the idea of HKS III sport fronts and MDU rears, it depends on how well the MDU rear are up to the job out back. Which I have to wonder if your willing to kick the front MDU units to the curb and try this. You must feel you have something to gain that is lacking in the MDU fronts. Which I'd think is also lacking in the rear.

I've run different rear dampers myself, but I had shock dyno's too. And both were based on the same Koni cores.

Are we certain that the rear HKS dampers can't be salvaged? I could see how the car could be so messed up that you can even get to them if you tried. And then, are the bodies and piston rods 100% straight? Are the lower mounts toast?

I have attached the pic of the fronts that my friend sent to me this morning. He was not able to remove the rears from the car as the back frame/body is too damaged to get access to it. The front of the vehicle was untouched. There is no leaking, no damage whatsoever on the coil body, and the lower mounts are 100 perfectn fine with the original bolts freely sliding through.
Attached Thumbnails Different F & R coilovers?-kgrhqz-hwe4p0it-qobop-q-p9hq-0_12.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are your goals?

i mean for a daily driver, you should be fine with mismatching so long as the spring rates and dampers are relatively the same.

obviously both sets were engineered differently and provide different characteristics, but they serve as only one general component.

now, if you do a lot of spirited driving and or go to track days, then no, you shouldnt mismatch as you would obviously alter the balance.

would mismatching be dangerous for the everyday use? i doubt it, unless both sets are so far different from each other in terms of rates and dampening.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
nismomike

Originally Posted by Duckeee
what are your goals?

i mean for a daily driver, you should be fine with mismatching so long as the spring rates and dampers are relatively the same.

obviously both sets were engineered differently and provide different characteristics, but they serve as only one general component.

now, if you do a lot of spirited driving and or go to track days, then no, you shouldnt mismatch as you would obviously alter the balance.

would mismatching be dangerous for the everyday use? i doubt it, unless both sets are so far different from each other in terms of rates and dampening.
I don't really have a set list of goals other than making my car suitable to my tastes. I hardly drive it that often, and when I do, its just for a nice cruise, an maybe just take some nice valley turns and roads near my house.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

The fronts look great, do you have pics of the rears?

Honestly, you COULD get away with doing the HKS in front and whatever else in the rear. The car will drive, and you might even feel like it handles pretty well. It doesn't mean it's done properly, but for just putting around the street it will work.

I'm just a little **** about suspension setup on a sports car. I don't mean for that to sound rude, just stating that if you're intending to increase performance with the coilovers... Don't mismatch dampers.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree with ^ Anthony..? if that's your name.

Sounds like OP does not have performance as the main objective here. If it's mainly for appearance and ride comfort (more or less), just make sure the rear coilover has relatively the same height adjustment as the original hipermax sport rears.

$300 is a steal imo. I have hipermax non sports and got them new for $1400. i love how they feel.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
nismomike

Originally Posted by Duckeee
I totally agree with ^ Anthony..? if that's your name.

Sounds like OP does not have performance as the main objective here. If it's mainly for appearance and ride comfort (more or less), just make sure the rear coilover has relatively the same height adjustment as the original hipermax sport rears.

$300 is a steal imo. I have hipermax non sports and got them new for $1400. i love how they feel.
Anthony @vivid, thanks for the insight. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the rears as my friend has not taken pics. I am not sure if he tried to remove them from the vehicle. I will touch back with him and find out. I ended up purchasing them because just from looking at them, they looked great, and looked new IMO. For 300 dollars, I just dont think I could pass them up.

I will be TOTALLY sure to line up ride heights and damper settings to be equivocal amongst the 2 sets in the front and rear. I know a really good performance shop back home in VA that will ensure that the car is where it needs to be. I will post pics and give my thoughts when I get them installed, sometime next week when I have a couple days off from work. Will keep in touch with you all then.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM
jduet

What is he getting for dinner?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
nismomike

Originally Posted by jduet
What is he getting for dinner?
Outback steakhouse
Old 08-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by nismomike
Outback steakhouse
pffft. I only take dates to Outback if I think I might get some action
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
nismomike

Originally Posted by VividRacing

haha. Delicious.

The food, I mean.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
jduet

Originally Posted by VividRacing
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

These sold for $350 on eBay...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
lgear080

given circumstances of lates we would suggest your pal
complete ebay auction or face interwebz assault. jussayin...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 AM
nismomike

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
These sold for $350 on eBay...
Really? I have the coils in my possession though...

Quick Reply: Different F & R coilovers?