Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Front rotor question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Front rotor question.

I want to do some short road trips before the summer is gone. My 2004 Z has the standard style brakes and I was looking over the front pads. I see that the passenger side, inner pad is getting a little thin so I would like to replace them. (They are the original pads and my car has about 20,000miles on it, but I do drive like a little hellion). The rotors have what seems like a fair amount of wear, with a bit of a step on the top and bottom areas where the pads don’t contact. I got out one of my dad’s old micrometers and measured several places on the front rotors. Using the handy forum search function I see that the minimum thickness allowed is 22mm, both of mine are at 22.860. The rotors are smooth, un-gouged and seem true without any run out.

Would it be ok to leave the rotors as is and just slip in a new set of stock pads? The nice old retired gent down the block who usually does all of this kind of maintenance for me is away for a week. So I thought I'd check here to see if this idea was kosher before I bought pads for him to install.

Since I only drive this car a few thousand miles a year, I’m guessing there is enough rotor left for a few more years.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Since I only drive this car a few thousand miles a year, I’m guessing there is enough rotor left for a few more years.
I agree. A good set of ceramic pads and your set