Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo S tune shock question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nismo S tune shock question

First..don't ask me to search. I fully understand the search function and use it all the time. I used it for the question I'm about to ask and came up with very little. So here it goes...can anyone hear tell me what the *comfort* level is with the s tune..vs stock (revised 04.5)? I have a stock 08 and would like a modest drop with tighter handling. Yes...I'm looking at D Specs with RSR or Tien S Techs as well. Just want to know more about Nismo S Tune comfort level since it's non adjutable and you're married to it once they're on.

TIA..
Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
350zfan1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronn1
First..don't ask me to search. I fully understand the search function and use it all the time. I used it for the question I'm about to ask and came up with very little. So here it goes...can anyone hear tell me what the *comfort* level is with the s tune..vs stock (revised 04.5)? I have a stock 08 and would like a modest drop with tighter handling. Yes...I'm looking at D Specs with RSR or Tien S Techs as well. Just want to know more about Nismo S Tune comfort level since it's non adjutable and you're married to it once they're on.

TIA..
^^^^^^^^^^

Have the nismo S tune shocks paired with the eibach pro kit. Decent 1in drop with noticeable handling improvement with very easy ride and still way more responsive than my original track suspension.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:39 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by 350zfan1
^^^^^^^^^^

Have the nismo S tune shocks paired with the eibach pro kit. Decent 1in drop with noticeable handling improvement with very easy ride and still way more responsive than my original track suspension.
Thanks for the response...then that brings up the question...Did you have an opportunity to use those shocks with the original springs intended for them?
..you can't buy the shocks separately.
BTW, I really prefer a small drop on this car..it's already pretty low stock.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had tein s spec and D spec
loved them
Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM
ronn1

Default Bilstein makes Nismo S tune shocks?

Found this:

Nismo makes their own springs, dampers are manufactured by Bilstein. THe Nismo S Tune suspension is prett entry level but if all you do is daily driving, itll work out great. If you are looking for something in the next step up with some adjustability, I would look into the Tanabe S0C. A great coilover without too much compromise in drivability.

Last edited by Waiz; 08-28-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: competing forum link..
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Last time I heard, they were made by Tokico. Who knows for sure?. NISMO themselves.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by beezee
Last time I heard, they were made by Tokico. Who knows for sure?. NISMO themselves.
You're prolly right. S tunes are TWIN and Bilstein only makes monotube (as I recall). I know Bilstein made shocks for the Frontier trucks..maybe that's the confusion.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Incorrect. Like the regular oem shocks, Tokico also makes the Nismo S-tune shocks. In some markets, buyers can purchase a Bilstien sport suspension, which has nothing to do with Nismo.

Bilstine does make some twin tube shocks for certain applications, generally where they are marketing a value price vs a more expensive momo tube version for the same application.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ The Bilstein sport suspension would have been a dealer sold kit. Not a factory installed option. And I have only seen it in Japan and europe.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
^ The Bilstein sport suspension would have been a dealer sold kit. Not a factory installed option. And I have only seen it in Japan and europe.
I think the confusion came from the fact that Bilstein did make S tune shocks for the Frontier trucks.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK I wrote a detailed critique of the Nismo S tune shock but, as you requested, will not tell you to search.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by davidv
OK I wrote a detailed critique of the Nismo S tune shock but, as you requested, will not tell you to search.
Searching is sometimes a real BEEATCH. I finally found some more info (I think your review) on nismo s tune suspension by searching under (I think) *spring rates tune*...leaving out *nismo*.. *review*. Go figure. Using *NISMO* can be too inclusive and you wind up with a sh$$t load of crap to wade through. Search is a usefull tool and I ALWAYS try to utilize it in order to prevent cluttering and duplicate threads. Having said this, it can be a very frustrating and tedious process...as it was in this particular case.
One good thing that came out of my starting this thread....I found someone who wanted to sell his fairly new Nismo set up at a great price (it wasn't in the classified section). Something that never would have taken place had I not started this thread.

Last edited by ronn1; 08-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were built by Unisia Jecs.

Last edited by Waiz; 08-29-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: rehash removed..
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Neimad
They were built by Unisia Jecs.
Intersesting..found this:
NISSAN, UNISIA JECS DEVELOP SHOCK ABSORBER
Tuesday 26 October 1993 | 00:00 CET
Nissan and Unisia JECS have jointly developed a full-flex shock absorber, automatically iterating damping in two stages. The part will be included in the new Skyline. Under the piston surface valve, the piston compression and retraction speed can be mechanically altered with an iterative sub-valve system. The shock absorber can dampen low and high pitch vibrations. The front shock absorbers are pushed down to 175 to 145 kg, for higher manoeuvrability.

And this:

DAMPING FORCE VARIABLE SHOCK ABSORBER Document Type and Number:Japanese Patent JP05332387
PURPOSE: To improve comfortableness to ride, running stability and a degree of freedom of setting damping force by interposing an adjuster, which opens/closes an extension/ compression common bypass to close one of both extension/compression bypasses and to open the other in accordance with a displacement direction of a flow path, in the halfway of the extension/compression side bypass flow paths, in a damping force variable shock absorber for an automobile suspension device.

CONSTITUTION: For instance, when an adjuster 12 is placed in the first position, a compression side variable throttle R, extension side first variable throttle S, extension side second variable throttle T and an extension/compression common variable throttle U are all opened, to place extension side first flow path D to third flow path F, extension/compression common bypass flow path G, compression side first flow path H to third flow path G all in a circulatable condition. The adjuster 12 in an extension stroke opens the extension/compression common bypass G to open the extension side third flow path F, second flow path E, first flow path D together with increasing a piston speed, to be transferred to a soft range. In a compression stroke, the extension/compression common bypass G is opened, and the compression side second flow path S, first flow path D are opened with the speed and transferred to the soft range. The extension/compression common variable throttle U is closed in the second position.

Last edited by Waiz; 08-29-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: rehash removed..
Old 08-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Too much info than we need. Good find anyway
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by beezee
Too much info than we need. Good find anyway
You never know where a thread's gonna take you. I think this is pretty good info...we now know these aren't your run of the mill *Tokico* stock replacements.