Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Please help educate me on pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I have no clue what Nathan is referring to. Brake fade is often a result of driver inputs as much as Z1's mentioned areas or oe design.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Mike Anthony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Hawk HPS are not ceramic pads

rotor and pad choice is important - there are several pads that will last a long time, don't emit any crazy dust, and are quiet. Get it wrong, and you end up with a series of compromises - all depends on your goals/motivation

Brembo rotors are excellent - if you need some, let us know (plug time)

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=3161

with the correct pad choice, you should easily get 80-100k out of them (rotors) again assuming you're driving the car on the street with a reasonable tire

I do anything but baby my brakes - I drive the car the way it should be driven. Granted, I have a brake kit, but I am on their original rotors and pads since installing them early spring of 2007 - and still have over 50 life left on both. It's all about choosing the right pieces. Unfortunately being in the northeast, rust is an issue that souther guys dont have to contend with, and so are wide temperature fluctuations. I unfortunately don't have any interest in working on my car at this point, I'd rather drive it, so for me, the buy cheap/replace often route just doesn't work. For others it does and that's cool

New pads means new fluid. If you don't have stainless lines, they are a nice upgrade for longevity sake, and will give a bit more consistent pedal feel vs factory rubber lines
Alright I have a couple questions on the rotors. Would you recommend slotted or cross drilled? I'm not sure the perks of either of them except that they help keep the pads and rotors cooler.

Stillen offered me DBA 4000's for $330 a pair with free shipping. I've been told by a few that Stillens DBAs are very good. I cannot decide.

EDIT: I just found DBAs or your website aswell, and they're cheaper! So would you recommend DBAs or Brembos?

Last edited by Mike Anthony; 09-20-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

both DBA and Brembo are excellent - very good quality iron, that will deal with a wide array of pads

for a street car, with a street oriented pad, either slotted or drilled will work very well, it mainly comes down to the aesthetic choice you like
Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Mike Anthony

What if I wanted to take it to the track? Either one of them better then?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Autocross/Road motorsport section has a trackpad database. If you intend to track stay away from slotted or drilled rotors, get blanks. Drilled/slotted have just about zero effect on performance (don't believe the marketing propaganda) and are much more likely to crack/develop micro fractures especially around the drill holes.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Anthony
What if I wanted to take it to the track? Either one of them better then?
then it comes back to your pad selection, because the HPS are not trackable pads by any means - auto-x, no problem, road racing, nope
Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Mike Anthony

Not even to do a couple laps with? Damn... I guess I bought the wrong pads. fml
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

if all you're doing is a couple of laps, whatever that means, then none of this stuff matters at all

when you mod the car, you gotta first define what your goals are and your budget to achieve those goals
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
rawlz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
Autocross/Road motorsport section has a trackpad database. If you intend to track stay away from slotted or drilled rotors, get blanks. Drilled/slotted have just about zero effect on performance (don't believe the marketing propaganda) and are much more likely to crack/develop micro fractures especially around the drill holes.
what is your source for saying that has zero effect on performance? As metals heat up, their rate of outgassing increases. these gases can create a film over your rotors which would not be good. This is the purpose of the slots, they create a place for the gas to go and keep from it building up on the rotors.

Drilling holes are for cooling as you increase surface area and allow for a higher rate of convection. I personally believe that it is more effective to install brake ducting than to use drilled rotors, but thats a preference.

If they are quality products, they should be designed to handle the wear on the rotors without developing cracks.