Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Need help with rear shocks install? Thanks sincerely

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Need help with rear shocks install? Thanks sincerely

Hi all,

I just posted about compression rod bushings, now I have a separate question of another repair I have to make, my rear shocks.

My question is mostly centered on the install process and parts needed, and thanks up front for your time and help with my situation, I really do appreciate the input from the veterans to us newbies, especially as the help is accurate and free. I wish I could reciprocate in helpful ways.

My dad and I are going to do the install of the rear shocks, I've seen a basic walk through online a month ago, but I'm wondering if anyone can link me to a really good youtube video or online tutorial that covers the basics, and anything to watch out for?

Do I need to buy anything other than the shocks themselves? Dealership says replace ALL bushing at same time, but I don't know all the bushings involved, so need some guidance here please? I do want to replace all the bushings, especially since my rear shocks creak with that popping sound at slow speed since I bought it. Will be great to end that.

Do I need to replace the housing at the top of the rear shocks? The thing that the shock screws into? (going from memory here: I think the housing I read about screws into the metal of the car by the rear hatch, and if it's overtorqued then the shock can compress and jam that housing right through the sheet metal of the car and pretty much ruin it? THAT is one thing I'm very concerned about.)

Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay if I decide to have a garage do this? I'd MUCH rather do the DIY scene with my dad as we both enjoy working together and he loves the car as much as I do. I'm still debating if I'm going to let him drive it though....

Any advice on which bushings? Best prices?

Shocks wise, if anyone is curious, I really want Koni Yellows set on full soft to ease the ride as a daily driver a bit, but I'm probably going to save the money and buy Tokicio Bues or whatever HP's are? $70 a piece for Tokico Blues are inviting, but I really would love a little softer ride both in rear and up front when it's time to do the fronts. I hear the best combo for a sporty touring ride is G35 shocks in rear and Koni Yellows up front, but haven't seen what G35 shocks cost yet. Any advice on shocks is welcome of course.

Oh...my car is an 04.5 350z coupe, I'm a daily driver kinda guy, no tracking, and don't plan on lowering my car with springs or whatnot, although a half inch drop could look nice.

Thanks again, truly appreciate the help!

Saved
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear shocks are incredibly easy. 2 12mm bolts up top from inside the fenderwell, and 1 17mm nut/bolt that goes through the bottom. literally the easiest suspenion work you could do. once you look at it, it will make sense. changing the spring just requires another 17mm bolt removed from the front of the spring bucket.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
savedbygrace

Thanks man. What about the bushing advice I was given? How many am I looking at? Are some better than others?

With car at 98k, should I replace the bracket/assembly that the rear shocks mount into?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
L-Fab
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Thanks man. What about the bushing advice I was given? How many am I looking at? Are some better than others?

With car at 98k, should I replace the bracket/assembly that the rear shocks mount into?
You may not need to replace the rear bushings.
Check them out, and go from there.
You should not see any cracks on the rubber portion of the bushing.
If they have cracks, creases, or the center bores are off-center, it may be time to replace them.

You do not need to replace any brackets.
Its a straight swap install.

BTW, where are you located?
If you are in SOCAL, you could always just stop by our shop.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM
L-Fab
Banned

oh yeah and I got a set of used 2007 G35 coupe shocks for sale, if interested
Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
L-Fab
Banned

Id suggest downloading the Factory Service Manual [FSM] so you can start doing your own installs and maintenance...

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...anual-fsm.html
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks L-Fab, some great input each time from you.

I'll nab the manual and do as much DIY as I can, although my bones and their mileage keep me from doing some things.

Looks like Dad and I will be doing the rear shock install from everything I keep learning, I'll take a look at the control arms in the manual, see if it's something we can do without killing myself by not tightening a bolt enough. Hard to enjoy my Z when wrecked inside it. heh

Thanks again, and I sent you a PM regarding he G35 shocks.

Saved