Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Downside to putting G35 shocks on my Z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Downside to putting G35 shocks on my Z?

Hi guys, sorry if the question sounds more newbie than a baby in the neo natal unit. I am indeed new in terms of learning about the suspension of the Z.

Long story short, needing new shocks, was leaning toward Tokico D-Specs for the adjustability as I'd love soft settings to go easier than oem for daily driving, and then tighten it up a bit if ever needed. I do not track, and probably won't, but yes I'd love to someday but just too much money and time involved. However, D-Specs are only sold as a kit of four shocks I'm learning, and I really only need the rears for right now. Plus they're a little over $500.

So....got Blessed with a deal for some G35 shocks, a set of four, and am leaning heavily toward just putting them on since the Z has 98k on it. Z runs great, but I can feel the rear shock is blown as can my dad when he is a passenger and I accelerate over a hard bump.

Keeping stock springs, is there any downside to putting on some G35 shocks that have 40k of easy driving on them? I'm hoping to get two to three years of use out of them and figure I should be fine but wanted to check with everyone's expertise in here.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, truly much appreciated.

Saved
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which G35 oem shock

1. 2003-2007 G35 coupe non sport (any coupe delivered on 17 or 18 inch wheels)
2. 2005-2007 G35 coupe with sport (any coupe delivered on oem 19 inch wheels)
3. 2003-2006 G35 sedan non sport
4. 2003-2006 G35 sedan with sport

Only setup I would install in your situation would be 2. coupe with sport. You can ID them this way. Black color and shock part numbers will be on stickers vs stamped into the steel case of the shock body.

The wild card, G35 coupe shock body and piston rod lengths. The 350Z oem shocks might be shorter on both counts. Also, you can purchase Monroe 350Z shocks for pretty cheap at www.rockauto.com A few owners here have them and like them on oem springs.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

03-07 g35 shocks are all the same..will work fine just be prepared to raise your car an 1/2" doing so
Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by JaE35z
03-07 g35 shocks are all the same..will work fine just be prepared to raise your car an 1/2" doing so
No they are not. I have them in 4 distinct groupings for a reason, valving will be different in every group. Coupe with sport is close to revised oem 2004.5+ shock valving.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
However, D-Specs are only sold as a kit of four shocks I'm learning, and I really only need the rears for right now. Plus they're a little over $500.

I have seen D-specs sold in front and rear sets. If you want just rears for now, you can get them.

D-specs are going to be superior to any oem G35 shock just to say it.

Also, what year is your Z?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Z is 2004.5 base coupe, stock shocks and springs.

Seller selling me the G35 shocks from a 2007 coupe assures me they won't raise my car a .5" unless I put in the G35 springs. If I use my stock springs the Z will stay as is. Is there anything in this scenario I'm missing? Not a car expert in the slightest.

TOKICO SHOCKS: Any chance you can link me to being able to buy Tokico D-Specs in pairs? If the G35 shocks deal falls through I would love D-specs as the fallback plan, or for when the G35's fail. Thanks for your info as well.

Any input guys on how much softer my ride will become by swapping out all stock shocks for G35 couple shocks? I'm not going to regret this am I? I'm a daily driver that likes a sporty ride, but I don't take the car to 9/10th or anything like that, although I can handle a car fairly well using amateur standards, but not at the edge, so I don't mind losing some taut responsiveness if it isn't a big loss that makes the Z feel unsporty.

Thanks again,

Saved
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM
savedbygrace

If it matters at all, my 350z has been upped to 18" wheels even though it's a base model.

Saw the list of G35 couple shock specs and saw some shocks were mated to 19" wheels on the G35, others to 18s.

So..if it matters...I'm 18's.

Saved
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are you doin this?

Just buy shocks made for your car, like any other intelligent person out there. Don't be a tard.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
savedbygrace

To save money and soften my ride.

Back to the regularly scheduled program of people trying to help people.

Saved
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
No they are not. I have them in 4 distinct groupings for a reason, valving will be different in every group. Coupe with sport is close to revised oem 2004.5+ shock valving.
obvously sports suspension is different and closer to the z stocks but other than that they are all the same on g35 coupes from 03-07 in non-sport applications. There was no revision
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Z is 2004.5 base coupe, stock shocks and springs.

Seller selling me the G35 shocks from a 2007 coupe assures me they won't raise my car a .5" unless I put in the G35 springs. If I use my stock springs the Z will stay as is. Is there anything in this scenario I'm missing? Not a car expert in the slightest.

TOKICO SHOCKS: Any chance you can link me to being able to buy Tokico D-Specs in pairs? If the G35 shocks deal falls through I would love D-specs as the fallback plan, or for when the G35's fail. Thanks for your info as well.

Any input guys on how much softer my ride will become by swapping out all stock shocks for G35 couple shocks? I'm not going to regret this am I? I'm a daily driver that likes a sporty ride, but I don't take the car to 9/10th or anything like that, although I can handle a car fairly well using amateur standards, but not at the edge, so I don't mind losing some taut responsiveness if it isn't a big loss that makes the Z feel unsporty.

Thanks again,

Saved
You say your car is a 2004.5, but how do you know this? It's makes a critical differance, because no everyone that thinks they have a 2004.5 Z, has one. I'm asking because based on your complaint about ride quality, your Z might not have the revised suspension.

Can you please verify at least one or two things on your oem rear shocks?

1. Look at the shocks and see if they have a sticker framed in yellow that shows the shock part numbers
2. Look at the rubber dust covers over the rear shocks. Are they smooth on the outside or do they have a cross hatch pattern molded on the outside?

Buying rear D-specs will cost about $308, vs $549 if you buy the front and rear set. So you will pay a bit more in the end.

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts...mpaign=product
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by JaE35z
obvously sports suspension is different and closer to the z stocks but other than that they are all the same on g35 coupes from 03-07 in non-sport applications. There was no revision
Well now you've clarified.

BTW, rear shock length has ZERO influence on ride height. Bump travel and droop only.

Ride height differances between version's of the FM platform are do to spring free length differances

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...w-updates.html
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do it right the first time.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
savedbygrace

Thanks to all contributing.

I'll check my car later today for the official read on whether I have 04.5. I went by manufacture date when I first got the car, I think mine is made after July if memory serves.

I'll post back later today.

And agreed...I'm a "do it right the first time" guy as well for all my life, sometimes though you have to take the opportunity to do what is good enough and invest in "doing it right the first time" in other higher priorities.

Love the Z, but it's not the highest priority above all things in life.

Thanks for that link by the way, I'll be considering all input looking to act wisely here in this decision.

Saved
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
savedbygrace

quick update, forgot to check my shocks, will do it tomorrow though and post back.

Thanks again for the help,

Saved
Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM
savedbygrace

Just a follow up that I've been working on some other projects and forgot to check my shocks again.

I'm going to go with the G35 shocks though and enjoy the ride being grateful for a great deal on replacement shocks. I can always go more sporty later if:

a) my driving skills progress to the point where it matters

and b) I get into auto x or organized events where I want to be competitive.

For daily driving and enjoying some curves, I'm sure I'll love the car in it's differences over stock, and enjoy the option that I can always swap out the shocks later, although I doubt I will.

Thanks everyone,

Saved
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

100k on the car, you should have been worn out for 40k miles now and one finally conpletely blew. Just get a full set of shocks , you need it. Also those G35 shocks are only good for maybe another 20k , do not bother unless they are being given to you.