Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM
ChinoZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Help

Ive got about 1200 cash and am ordering coilovers here durin5 the week. Any suggestions into what kind is the best bang for my buck? i would like to have some cash left over for wheel spacers since ill be on stock rims until fureur notice.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Best bang for the buck will be a set of drop springs, and Tokico D spec shocks. That will be a hell of a lot better than any coilover in the price range. You will also have around $500 left to buy your spacers and what ever else you want.

I would also swap the LCA bushings and compression arm bushings out when you do your drop. The will fail fast after the drop and require your car to get aligned again. Just do it right the first time.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Czarrr

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Best bang for the buck will be a set of drop springs, and Tokico D spec shocks. That will be a hell of a lot better than any coilover in the price range. You will also have around $500 left to buy your spacers and what ever else you want.

I would also swap the LCA bushings and compression arm bushings out when you do your drop. The will fail fast after the drop and require your car to get aligned again. Just do it right the first time.
This!
Springs and Tokico D specs!

I heard good things about BC coils.
I personally stand by my Stance GR+ coils. Even though I haven't been able to compare them to other set ups. Very satisfied with them for 1200 shipped.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Sick an Twsd

Originally Posted by Czarrr
This!
Springs and Tokico D specs!

I heard good things about BC coils.
I personally stand by my Stance GR+ coils. Even though I haven't been able to compare them to other set ups. Very satisfied with them for 1200 shipped.
Other than the standard alignment did you upgrade/replace anything else?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM
ChinoZ33

i was trying to stay away fromlowering springs because i do wana be slammed! lol i was curious as to what coilovers would be best especially for a daily driven. But I Do appreciate your input and will definately take it to mind!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 AM
B2autodesigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

+1 on BC BR being the best bang for the buck coilovers. Also look into getting at least a rear camber kit. They give you alot of features for the price. Ajustable ride control and upper pillow *****. Plus install is easy. Don't have to take apart the factory strut. Just swap them out.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

So far I've been pleasantly surprised with my BC BR series coilovers. NOTE: I am not 'slammed' nor do I drive the car on the track or autocross. Street driving / daily commuting only. Comfortable ride, no odd noises, nice price (I paid a little less than $1000), relatively easy install. I also like that the lower mount on the strut threads relative to the strut body, allowing you to adjust the overall strut assembly length without affecting strut travel. I thought that was a nice feature for a budget coilover.

Of course, I'm just spouting off praises for the product I bought. If I had $2k to spend on coilovers I certainly would not have bought BC, and probably would have gone for something higher quality like KW or Bilstein. But for the money I put out and the duty I put them through, I feel like I made a good choice.

Adjustable camber arm + toe arm kit should set you back around $150 extra, and a set of ~25mm spacers brand new should set you back $120 (but can be had for much less in the private for-sale classifieds).
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak

^ Please folks listen to the man.

Click on his username and look at some of his recents posts.

He used to own Bc Racing coilovers, he got rid of them for a reason.

He knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't understand....I thought baby jesus hand crafted BC Coil-overs from unicorn horns?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
^ Please folks listen to the man.

Click on his username and look at some of his recents posts.

He used to own Bc Racing coilovers, he got rid of them for a reason.

He knows what he's talking about.
Right, but didn't he also track his car and therefore put the system under a lot more stress than someone who just daily drives it on the streets?

I'm not trying to argue that BC coilovers are any good for aggressive track use, but that they are a decent solution for a strictly street-driven car.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I don't understand....I thought baby jesus hand crafted BC Coil-overs from unicorn horns?
If Jesus is a hispanic guy relocated to Taiwan and by "unicorn horns" you mean "reformed Chinese scrap steel", then yes you are correct.

But I still think they're ok for street use. Just saying.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
06g35meister

Bc racing + camber kits and spacers can be had for under $1200. Next step up would be stance coilovers which are near $1200 alone... prepare to eliminate tires quickly!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Right, but didn't he also track his car and therefore put the system under a lot more stress than someone who just daily drives it on the streets?

I'm not trying to argue that BC coilovers are any good for aggressive track use, but that they are a decent solution for a strictly street-driven car.
Not a stress issue and damping issue.

It's in how they are valved and what the insides can and CANNOT do with that valving.

You end up trying to find a sweet spot on the adjustable damping, only to find that their really isn't one. It trys to be a jack of all trades, when it masters none of them, on or off the track.

Problem is, people settle and they NEVER EVER ask enough tuff questions. Have you ever seen a coilover review that someone actually told you how it really was? And it doesn't help when you have vendors that are more then happy to sell you what you want to hear vs what your need to hear. Have you ever seen a coilover review that someone actually told you how it really was?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
nismo4life11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wanna be slammed but still want a stock like ride check out my review on the ISC N1 coilovers. I really don’t get everyone’s fascination with lowering springs and shocks on this site. Even in a track situation they aren’t valved to match and they don’t have the shock travel matched to the springs so you are loosing shock travel which is going to make it easier to bottom out the shock. Plus you don’t have ride height adjustability even if you get a good damper with damper control, at which point you are stuck with what ever height you are at wither you like it or not. I've had JIC and Tein coils, tons of different spring and shock combos and the ISC's. IMO for the money the ISC's are the best deal.

P.S. I have nothing to hide so ask away about any of my issues or about any of the brands I had. I'm not a vendor trying to push my products, I'm just a guy that is sick of forum misinformation and brand wh***s pushing crap at people. I'll will gladly tell you like it is and what issues I had.

Last edited by nismo4life11; 02-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

For about 1200 bucks you can get some KW Variant 1's

And for about 1600 bucks you cant get the V2's...i have heard some good reviews and for those prices thats a pretty good deal imo. Maybe someone can chime in? I am debating getting the V3's (bellow 2k) or the V2's by the end of this year after i get my dif and some other minor things. Im on Megans now cause i got them for DIRT cheap, but they are pretty much just good for slamming my car and DD'ing it, i wouldnt trust they would outperform a quality setup on the track...

But like i said for what its worth and how much i paid i love my megans, all i wanted to do was slam the Z and give me a decent ride and they did just that.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

What makes ISC any different from the other generic crap from Taiwan/China?

Originally Posted by nismo4life11
You wanna be slammed but still want a stock like ride check out my review on the ISC N1 coilovers. I really don’t get everyone’s fascination with lowering springs and shocks on this site. Even in a track situation they aren’t valved to match and they don’t have the shock travel matched to the springs so you are loosing shock travel which is going to make it easier to bottom out the shock. Plus you don’t have ride height adjustability even if you get a good damper with damper control, at which point you are stuck with what ever height you are at wither you like it or not. I've had JIC and Tein coils, tons of different spring and shock combos and the ISC's. IMO for the money the ISC's are the best deal.

P.S. I have nothing to hide so ask away about any of my issues or about any of the brands I had. I'm not a vendor trying to push my products, I'm just a guy that is sick of forum misinformation and brand wh***s pushing crap at people. I'll will gladly tell you like it is and what issues I had.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
nismo4life11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes any of these companies different than any other? Quality control and customer service is the only real big difference between any of these suspension companies. ISC is right in Mass and rebuilds (wither they use new parts or actually rebuild them I dont really care) is right in Mass for $65 a side. Also ISC is going to be revealing shock dyno results on there site soon according to their facebook page, pretty sure none of the other "taiwan/china" companies have gone through and done that.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't seem like OP wants anything performance related and just wants to slam is car like a fanboy.

Might as well just go with Stance
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
ChinoZ33

Thanks for all the feedbqck ive narrowed my décision to a couple!
CanAnyone share opinions on the megan racing coilovers?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChinoZ33
Thanks for all the feedbqck ive narrowed my décision to a couple!
CanAnyone share opinions on the megan racing coilovers?
Garbage

Quick Reply: Coilover Help