Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tanabe sustec s-oc owners??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe sustec s-oc owners??

Does this setup look correct? The helper spring on the bottom and very tight? I don't see the point of a helper spring if its that wound up.....
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe sustec s-oc owners??-imag0128.jpg   Tanabe sustec s-oc owners??-imag0129.jpg  

Last edited by (ZzzzzZ); 05-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will agree, the few people here and on G35 driver that have the Tanabe coilover, do like them. Here's a owner review you may or may not have seen.

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...er-review.html

Drop on the Tanabe Pro S-oc according to their web site is
Front: -1.75"
Rear:-1.5"

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/s0c.asp?id=6#

If that's just not low enough their are other coilover setups much better then the D2.

Are you after the look of the drop more then your trying to make the car stiffer and more agressive?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

^^Thanks. Saw a few g35 driver threads, including some where you gave feedback, but didnt come across the link you posted. I guess I am looking for both comfort and being able to drop the car, which most people will say I cannot attain. So thats why I am leaning toward the tanabe's, maybe I will sacrifice being able to slam the car for comfort. But I also heard that I can order them with shorter springs so that may be the route I will take.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

btw anyone know how easy these are to adjust ride height? Just read your thread that you posted and the guy said it was a pita to change the ride height on these coils.....
Old 05-24-2012, 03:24 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

bump

Can anyone who has owned or ridden in a 350z with tanabe pro-soc coils talk about the ride quality? My car is pretty bouncy and wondering why that is or if anyone else has experienced this. First hand experience only thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM
350Shadow

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope im not too ridiculously late to the game. Mine are bouncy too but I assume thats how they are since my old gr+'s were the same way. I was thinking about buying custom shorter pro210 springs from tanabe for the rear so it can go a liiiiiitle lower I just need to find out what the diameter and height of the included springs are so I can go from there.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM
slvrman

whats up guys, i have a question, i recently bought these the tanabe sustec pro s-0c (non adjustable shock), i was wondering how reliability is for the long run?(3-5 years). the shocks adjust to how low you go so the lower you go the stiffer the shock gets, i was wondering if going too low will put too much stress on the shock and cause the shock to go in the long run? please pm me with all information you have!! thanks everyone
Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM
stuartc323

No man they are designed for that, if your worried about the shock that much, find your desired height, adjust it 1/4 inch to .5 inch higher than ur desired height and adjust your spring preload so you dont bottom out on the bumpstops of the shock, thats how u stop from damaging your shiit.

Also i have two friends with these on Zs and they love them, had them for 2-4 years between both of them, they were also my choice till i built my suspension from scratch

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-09-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM
slvrman

i recently installed the sustec pro s0c, and i would hear a bolt on metal sound occasionally and a ping noise , i took my strut bar and my strut mount bolts were loose, all 6 i was able to tighten them with my hand, does me using my stock strut mounts on the new suspension have anything to do with this? i know the person personally who installed them hes a friend and a mechanic. please anything than can help me or point me in the rigt direction please PM me.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
zfamous

Originally Posted by slvrman
whats up guys, i have a question, i recently bought these the tanabe sustec pro s-0c (non adjustable shock), i was wondering how reliability is for the long run?(3-5 years). the shocks adjust to how low you go so the lower you go the stiffer the shock gets, i was wondering if going too low will put too much stress on the shock and cause the shock to go in the long run? please pm me with all information you have!! thanks everyone
The shocks are KYB so you don't need to worry about the stress as they are known for making quality products.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
yoots

I just recently had experience with the Tanabe Sustec S-0Cs (rode in a G35 sedan), feels really different from many other Gs/Zs with coilovers that I have driven/rode in, very smooth ride which firms up as soon as the weight shifts to that end/side of the car. Almost as if there is very little high speed compression damping, but a good amount of low speed compression damping. I realize that they are not damping adjustable (much less three way adjustable lol), but I was very impressed how well they were suited for the vehicle.

Also to answer the OP's question, helper springs are not meant sustain the weight of the car, (they are usually rated at 1.5kg/mm), and therefore as soon as you lower the car onto the ground, the helper springs compress completely as you can see in that photo. The helper springs keep the spring from moving around when the suspension is unloaded, minimizing noise and slightly preloading the main spring. If the car in your photo is off the ground, it looks like you have the coilovers set pretty much max height, at that point - as there is no more outward stroke left in the damper and therefore no room for the helper springs to extend, they are simply acting as a spacer.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
bewsted

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
bump

Can anyone who has owned or ridden in a 350z with tanabe pro-soc coils talk about the ride quality? My car is pretty bouncy and wondering why that is or if anyone else has experienced this. First hand experience only thanks!
I had the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC installed on my 350Z, I think they are ok, personally not stiff enough for me. I took a corner aggressively and I noticed the car lean, I really don't recall the car leaning with stock shocks/struts. I did notice a slightly smoother ride where I did not feel the bumpy roads as much as stock ones, but I'd rather give up the smooth ride for a suspension that doesn't lean. I hate cars that lean when taking corners. Also, the rear springs settle in after about 2-3 months, so be prepared to see your rear end a bit higher at the beginning. All-in-all, I tried them and likely wouldn't buy them again, but if you're in a pinch on cash, they aren't bad. If I had to do it over again, I would probably get Stance coil overs, so I can read the instructions (my installer saw the Japanese installation instructions and just threw it in the garbage). I thought English instructions would have been included since it's selling in the US.