Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Wilwood vs Stoptech BBK

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wilwood vs Stoptech BBK

I know this is a familiar topic, but this is more specific to a later Model (06+).
I'm looking for a 13" FRONT set up only. I noticed that Wilwwood has a 13" 6POT kit that applies to ALL Zs 03-08, while the Stoptech has a SEPARATE kit ( 13" 4POT) for later model 06+ cars. That kit has made changes that account for the bigger brakes in these cars. Here is a response to me from Eric at Stoptech:

Nissan made a significant change to the caliper piston sizes in the changeover to the 06+ models making the early kits not compatible with late non-Brembo cars. Installing an early kit on a late non-Brembo car would cause a significant reduction in front and rear brake torque output compared to stock which can lead to issues with not being able to lock up the tires without applying extreme pedal pressure and lack of ABS and stability control functionality.

I also asked Eric about using FRONTS only:

That would be the correct kit for the 08 non-brembo and there would be no bias issue as all of our kits are designed to work with the stock master cylinder and rear brakes.

Also found this for FRONT ONLY applications:

StopTech has to date received three patents in brake technology and has one patent currently pending. StopTech is the first aftermarket brake company to offer balanced front brake upgrades, engineered to dramatically improve overall braking performance while remaining compatible with the stock OE rear brakes. This has significantly advanced the state of art in aftermarket brake upgrades.

That now begs the question...
Does the *one fits all* Wilwood Kit work as well as Stoptech for a FRONTS only set up?

I have been eyeballing both these kits..Wilwood is a little cheaper but the above observation leads to believe Stoptech has done their homework here.
All opinions welcome....please stay on TOPIC..this isn't an all out *Wilwood vs Stoptech* shoot out thread.

Last edited by ronn1; 03-13-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not look at the 14" 6pot Wilwood kit or does it not apply to all years?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Why not look at the 14" 6pot Wilwood kit or does it not apply to all years?
Same situation as 13" for both kits. Wilwood is same for ALL yrs and Stoptech has TWO versions..pre and post 06 because of brake differences.
Again, I'm asking if Wilwood just good for 06+ with it's *blanket* approach?
Stoptech seems to imply that ya can't have it both ways here.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

For most stuff there is fact and theory, i believe that Wilwood and Stoptech just have a different theory. What one is better, i would have to research a lot for my answer. Of course my answer would also be on what i believe of the 2 theorys
Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by terrasmak
For most stuff there is fact and theory, i believe that Wilwood and Stoptech just have a different theory. What one is better, i would have to research a lot for my answer. Of course my answer would also be on what i believe of the 2 theorys
Enjoy:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm

If the brakes are too front biased, the front tires tend to saturate prematurely and the stopping distances become longer, both with and without ABS. ABS does not fix improper bias. StopTech controls the bias of their kits by retaining the stock master cylinder and juggling caliper piston and rotor sizes to come up with optimum brake torque balance.

An Audi S4 kit was used to generate the numbers for the chart above. StopTech makes 3 different kits for the S4, all of which are better balanced than even the factory brakes. According to the chart, an Audi S4 kit using F50 calipers and 355mm diameter rotors would be front biased, due to the larger piston sizes used in that caliper. The same calipers with smaller 332mm rotors produces the counterintuitive result of shorter stopping distances than the kit with bigger rotors! A Porsche "Big Red" conversion that uses adapter brackets to attach Porsche 993TT front and rear calipers and rotors to the Audi S4 is rear biased and, not only has a longer stopping distance, but might even be unstable if ABS is disabled.

By careful selection of caliper piston sizes and exhaustive track testing (as you'll see below)

White papers:
http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...alance-matters

http://www.centricparts.com/files/Ce...20Upgrades.pdf

When upgrading your front brakes, it is possible to size the caliper pistons and rotor effective radius to maintain the original brake system's pressure-torque relationship. Yea, it takes more engineering know-how and you can't sell the same part to everyone anymore, but you are not altering the base brake balance from what the OEM intended. This design philosophy stands behind every brake upgrade kit StopTech manufactures. Now, if you sized the front brakes correctly, why would you need to change the rear brakes? Good question. If there are no thermal concerns with the rear brakes (and on a front-engine street car there rarely are) then by installing a rear big-brake kit all you are doing is (a) spending money and (b) adding unsprung weight. This is not usually viewed as favorable, unless you like driving a heavy, expensive car

Last edited by ronn1; 03-13-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

^^^ I just just about to post the same info!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Ruthless18x

Good info. Seems like you are pretty sold on the StopTech, pull the trigger.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
SoCal07HR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you have all the info you need. So what was the question?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by SoCal07HR
Looks like you have all the info you need. So what was the question?
Just wanted to know if anyone could provide info that would support the Wilwood set up... either Front and/or Front and Rear....compared to 06+ Stoptech. Guess not. What I liked about Stoptech was that they designed the Front kits to work with STOCK rears and still give optimal performance.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
ronn1

Good info. Seems like you are pretty sold on the StopTech, pull the trigger.
Just did. Got Stoptech 13" Fronts slotted for $1480 SHIPPED. Now THAT's what I call a deal Took me forever to find it though.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 AM
SoCal07HR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronn1
Just did. Got Stoptech 13" Fronts slotted for $1480 SHIPPED. Now THAT's what I call a deal Took me forever to find it though.
Titan Motorsports?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by SoCal07HR
Titan Motorsports?
Nope..here>>>

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/Sear...83.657.4600.71
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
ronn1

Stoptech response regarding same kit for ALL 350Z:

If Wilwood is using the same kit for all models, the only possible conclusion is that they are favoring one vehicle over another making one platform optimized in which case the other platform is far from optimized, or they are compromising both platforms equally. As we do not know the specifics of their piston sizes, we would not be able to make a direct interpretation
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Ruthless18x

Did you ever call Wilwood or was everything just one sided?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nissan seems to think that Brembo's can be fitted to all Z's.... Nothing wrong with Wilwood thinking the same.

P.S. in the long run OEM Brembo's or Wilwoods are probably cheaper to maintain than the Stoptechs.

Last edited by Voboy; 03-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
ronn1

Did you ever call Wilwood or was everything just one sided?
Never did..but anyone here can give it a try. Fact of the matter is...they have ONE KIT for two different brake systems and Stoptech accounts for both. Like the quote I just posted..can't have it both ways.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ronn1
Never did..but anyone here can give it a try. Fact of the matter is...they have ONE KIT for two different brake systems and Stoptech accounts for both. Like the quote I just posted..can't have it both ways.
This is a excellent point.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Voboy
Nissan seems to think that Brembo's can be fitted to all Z's.... Nothing wrong with Wilwood thinking the same.
This is true...but I'm talking about a FRONT application only. That what I was looking for. The factory never intended to fit the SAME Brembo fronts with two different rear set ups. So you have identical fronts and rears (calipers and rotors) on all years. I suppose one *could* argue that swapping the FRONT and REARS with Wilwood would skirt that issue. Wilwood does sell fronts only and they don't differentiate pre and post 06 as Stoptech does.

P.S. in the long run OEM Brembo's or Wilwoods are probably cheaper to maintain than the Stoptechs
What do you base that claim on?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at replacement rotor prices. 250$ ea for stop tech rings
Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Voboy
Look at replacement rotor prices. 250$ ea for stop tech rings
You won't go through a set of rotors as you would with an OEM rotor. I have over 35k-40k miles on my StopTech and only change the pads once.

Quick Reply: Wilwood vs Stoptech BBK