Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Strange brake issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Strange brake issue...

Hey just wanted to see if I could get some help analyzing a problem...symptom is an audible periodic squeak based on how fast I'm moving is how fast the squeak repeats.

Now, I just did the brembo upgrade kit from Z1 not too long ago. Slotted rotors, stainless lines, Axxis pads, and new fluid. Did a full, proper flush.

I have good pedal feel and plenty of bite, no strange vibrations, and no fluid loss out of any calipers or the master cylinder. Again, pedal is firm and feels normal. However, after driving for a few minutes and listening, after pressing the pedal and releasing it, I hear that squeak.

My assumption is that the pistons in the calipers aren't retracting back properly, because when I press the brakes the sound goes away.

What are your thoughts?

Car is an '03 Track with about 56k on the clock. I'm thinking about looking into rebuilding the calipers because it seems like maybe the seals might be going bad. Anyone have any comments or similar experiences?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Opposed pistion calipers tend to be a lot louder than normal calipers is the first thing. As you mention your seals could be bad, your pistons could be pitted too. Last thing, its probably your rotors. Slotted rotors are not much of an upgrade
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM
DB350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe warped rotors?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 AM
RENFRO

I was wondering about the rotors as well, but like I said there is zero vibration at any given time...which is somewhat typical with a warped rotor. Even up around 100mph with a hard stop there's no vibration.

Now, I could maybe assume there's a bit of a catch considering the pads haven't worn down much yet. If it's somewhat typical for that sound I can deal with it, but I just found it odd.

As far as I'm concerned, the car is still stopping just fine and hasn't given me any close calls at all...just wanted some other outside opinions
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 AM
RENFRO

Hey guys just an update, talked to Z1 just now and they're thinking it's a frozen caliper. That was my initial suspicion...they thought maybe a bent dust shield but the sound was going away when the brakes were pressed so that ruled it out. Just wanted to share the update for anyone that may run into the same problem...

Is there a good write up for a Brembo rebuild?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Hey guys just an update, talked to Z1 just now and they're thinking it's a frozen caliper. That was my initial suspicion...they thought maybe a bent dust shield but the sound was going away when the brakes were pressed so that ruled it out. Just wanted to share the update for anyone that may run into the same problem...

Is there a good write up for a Brembo rebuild?
Try changing the pads (AXXIS) first. I've heard AXXIS can be noisy. Stoptech Street peformance.
CRS Brake Quiet is another option too.
Read this thread..

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=197945

Last edited by ronn1; 03-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
IDrm350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem and it was the pads.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by ronn1
Try changing the pads (AXXIS) first. I've heard AXXIS can be noisy. Stoptech Street peformance.
CRS Brake Quiet is another option too.
Read this thread..

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=197945
Hey man, the problem isn't the pad noise when I'm on the brakes, but when I'm off the pedal...which shouldn't be happening regardless of the pad used. When I'm on the pedal they do squeal when coming to a stop but I couldn't care less, they're a good pad imo with plenty of bite.

Am I making sense? Just want to make sure I'm explaining myself well...it's not a constant squeal, but a "ticking" squeal while rolling down the road NOT pressing the brakes. No good.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM
RENFRO

Hey guys just an update on this in case it's happened (happening) to anyone else. Had a buddy spot that my rear wheels looked to be "wobbling" while rolling down the road. It was VERY minimal, but noticeable (I was running 20mm Z1 spacers front and rear w/an extra 5mm on the rear). Every since I installed them I'd noticed a soft pedal feel for the first inch or so which hadn't been there before (just to re-cap)

Just yesterday I got my new RPF1's installed and removed all the spacers. No more soft pedal. Back to extremely firm. This was even after I did a Z1 upgrade kit to the Brembo's (Rotors/pads/ss lines/fluid) and it didn't fix it.

So, basically the spacers weren't perfectly flat and cranking the lugs down caused the rotor mass to spin unevenly and push the pads back away from the rotor until I pressed the pedal...makes sense considering only things holding the rotor in place are the pads and the wheel clamped on with lugs..

I figured with the pedal feel back to normal, that strange squeak I had would also be gone...false.

Once the brakes are nice and warm...that annoying squeak is back. I was never able to find a solution...this is with a full brake job and removal of spacers and addition of new wheels. Only effect was the return of the firm pedal.

I give up. Maybe someday I will upgrade to a full BBK.

I did however find this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48702

Seems like some BMW fellas have been having the same issue for a long time with no real solid solution...just a bunch of them getting raped by their dealers with constant pad/rotor/sensor replacements.

I hope this may shine some light for someone else.