Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

concerned about rear coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM
TurTLe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concerned about rear coilovers

I just saw somethings in photos and remembered it was a concern on my car as well but since nothing, no issues came of it i wasn't too bothered but i figured i will ask.

i have BC coilovers. They are not the true coilover design, they are with spring and shock separate. Now with the spring preload at near max ( didnt want to go all the way, think it will be more prone to breaking) when lifted, there isn't much tension.

What i mean by that is, with the stock spring or any of the lowering springs, you can see the spring compress when being installed and there is no way for it to just jump out of the bucket. But with the BC coilovers, i think the springs are too short. Its barely making contact when lifted. With the car on the ground, there is no issue and the spring is solidly in the bucket. When lifted, i feel if i punch the spring i could get it to jump around in the spring bucket. This is with the lower rubber spring mounted. I'm sure the install is correct.

My main concern is this, when going over bumps, if my car was to get airborn i fear that upon coming back down the spring might not settle in the right way and the top adjustment collar could jump out of mount and then you can figure out my issue. i dont plan on taking sick jumps or anything but just a concern in the back of my head because when lifted i can see it happening.

also question number two, BC make taller springs as a option, i think its 15 or 25mm taller. I know the spring is mainly for preload and the shock is for ride height in the rear. But with a taller spring would that raise the ride height some? I have concerns for winter and want the rears to be a lot higher then the highest current setting now
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BC makes a short and long version of the rear spring, which would affect ride height. The part number stamped on the spring would tell you which version you have.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 AM
white boy

I would buy 1 piece coils, they may be more money but pays off in the long run IMO
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Your shock body length is adjustable, shorten the shock to keep the spring fully seated. Simple and easy.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 AM
rotchcrocket04

[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by terrasmak
Your shock body length is adjustable, shorten the shock to keep the spring fully seated. Simple and easy.

Also, you have adjustment on the spring seat and the shock body itself. (If I remember correctly) the spring should always be at the same compression (when lifted off the ground) slightly loose but not able to be freely turned. And the adjustment on the shock body should be used to control ride height. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... it's be awhile since I messed with all this stuff.

EDIT: Blah blah blah... pay no attention to this ^ I was wrong, see below.

Last edited by rotchcrocket04; 04-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04

Also, you have adjustment on the spring seat and the shock body itself. (If I remember correctly) the spring should always be at the same compression (when lifted off the ground) slightly loose but not able to be freely turned. And the adjustment on the shock body should be used to control ride height. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... it's be awhile since I messed with all this stuff.
rear has the spring separate from the strut.

Strut body length is adjustable independent of the spring perch adjustment.

Both need to be adjusted properly to avoid the op's issue.

I think the term is sag or droopage. You set it so the spring is in compression with the strut fully extended.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04

Yes you are wrong, on the rear of a Z with an OEM setup , preload adjusts the ride height and you adjust the damper body for proper piston travel and to hold tension on the spring at full droop.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
rotchcrocket04

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Yes you are wrong, on the rear of a Z with an OEM setup , preload adjusts the ride height and you adjust the damper body for proper piston travel and to hold tension on the spring at full droop.
That's what is was!! Thanks for the update - I can't keep all this shlt straight. Lol