Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question about akebonos on 350z

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 PM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Question about akebonos on 350z

Hi all. I'd like to ask the owners of akebonos bbk if there kits leave a ring of rust around the inner side of the rotors. I am in the market for a set and want to make sure that the unsightly ring of rust isn't going to be on my bbk.

I ask because I have an Acura TL (non Brembo) and I upgraded my rotors and pads. After about 1 week my beautiful stop tech rotors developed this ugly unsightly ring of rust around the inner part of rotor. Shop told me its because the pad doesn't touch that part of the rotor. It annoys me every time I look at it. Luckily the rears don't have that problem.

Anyway if someone can tell me if this happens to the akebonos I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Wil
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...act-issue.html
Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Hi all. I'd like to ask the owners of akebonos bbk if there kits leave a ring of rust around the inner side of the rotors. I am in the market for a set and want to make sure that the unsightly ring of rust isn't going to be on my bbk.

I ask because I have an Acura TL (non Brembo) and I upgraded my rotors and pads. After about 1 week my beautiful stop tech rotors developed this ugly unsightly ring of rust around the inner part of rotor. Shop told me its because the pad doesn't touch that part of the rotor. It annoys me every time I look at it. Luckily the rears don't have that problem.

Anyway if someone can tell me if this happens to the akebonos I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Wil
I don't think you will have the same issue, since the adaptor should place your pads/new calipers in the stock position..it's *should* be just like it is for 370/G37 stock..no rust ring. The post below refers to a 2 peice aftermarket rotor...you should be getting a stock blank I assume. You can always paint any exposed areas as I described in that thread shown. I would paint the Acura rotors like this.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint your rotors before initial install. pads will wear only the area they contact, the rest will stay whatever color you painted them! (hopefully black or silver)
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It won't if everything is done right. I have had mine with StopTechs for about a year.

Last edited by beezee; 04-23-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Man...if CZP offered more options for powdercoat colors, I would have picked up a set of these Akebono's instead of OEM Brembos.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought zinc-coated rotors to alleviate the same problem. That was the biggest waste of money and perfectly great Stoptech rotors. Besides, I personally prefer the black hats instead of the silver hue the zinc coating has. I suppose they look clean, but once the pads contact the rotors, you're left with two shades of silver.

It would've been cheaper to paint them with high-temp paint and call it a day. That's what I did with my 300ZX when I got the 350Z front rotors. Here's an older picture of the car:

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM
sry110

^ But I think he was talking about the face of the rotors, between the center hat and the inner contour of the brake pad (i.e. where the pad does not contact the rotor face).

Consequently I do agree with you, that I prefer the black painted centers as opposed to the zinc-plated type.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Man...if CZP offered more options for powdercoat colors, I would have picked up a set of these Akebono's instead of OEM Brembos.
They did offer other colors at least at the time that I bought mine from them
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by beezee
They did offer other colors at least at the time that I bought mine from them
Yeah I should have clarified: At the time I was in the market for brakes they offered red, black and grey but I think that was it. I was really looking for something more "flashy" so I ended up with the OEMbo's.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you remove metal from the surface of a disk, as all brake pads do, it will expose the surface to the elements. Thats just common sense.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
ronn1

I bought zinc-coated rotors to alleviate the same problem. That was the biggest waste of money and perfectly great Stoptech rotors. Besides, I personally prefer the black hats instead of the silver hue the zinc coating has. I suppose they look clean, but once the pads contact the rotors, you're left with two shades of silver

Those are Centric/Powerslots. Aftermarket and will have unswept area. If he gets the FACTORY rotors, he won't have an unswept area.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
^ But I think he was talking about the face of the rotors, between the center hat and the inner contour of the brake pad (i.e. where the pad does not contact the rotor face).

Consequently I do agree with you, that I prefer the black painted centers as opposed to the zinc-plated type.
Sorry for the confusion but we're talking about the same thing--the unswept area between the hats and pads. The 300ZX pic is a bad example, but the black paint on the hat actually extends on the rotor surface, much like the darker hue of silver on the 350Z rotors.

Originally Posted by ronn1

Those are Centric/Powerslots. Aftermarket and will have unswept area. If he gets the FACTORY rotors, he won't have an unswept area.
He will get that unswept area regardless of the rotor because the 370Z steering knuckles are different from the 350Z, hence the adapter. The adapters don't put the calipers and pads in the OEM position.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Czarrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpireDude
paint your rotors before initial install. pads will wear only the area they contact, the rest will stay whatever color you painted them! (hopefully black or silver)
This is what I should have done.

I have the ugly rust ring around my front rotors.
It's very annoying and unappealing.
My brakes were from Z1motorsports.

There are two other local guys who have these brakes.
Two of us have the ugly ring.
The third had his rotors 'zinc' coated to prevent the rust from happening on the untouched surface.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I have the ring. I am going to paint the area soon.

Adams 1 piece 14s:

DBA 2 piece 14s:

Passenger side

Driver side:
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
ntwillie1

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys.

The ring shown in the picture by e30cabrio is exactly what has happened to my TL and its the last thing i want happening to my z. I can paint them before installing but I really don't want to have to go through that every year or so which is what i've heard people have to do. My garage is very small and I don't have much room to work in.

Beezee, your setup looks awesome bro.

I figured by going with Akebonos which are used on 370z's from the factory that I wouldn't have this issue but now I don't know.

*** Before I forget, one more question on these BBKs. I've heard they are a lot heavier than factory setup. I have non-brembos. From a performance perspective is the car going to feel that much slower by doubling the weight of the brakes? Anyone with these have experience? Thanks again.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 04-23-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys.

The ring shown in the picture by e30cabrio is exactly what has happened to my TL and its the last thing i want happening to my z. I can paint them before installing but I really don't want to have to go through that every year or so which is what i've heard people have to do. My garage is very small and I don't have much room to work in.

Beezee, your setup looks awesome bro.

I figured by going with Akebonos which are used on 370z's from the factory that I wouldn't have this issue but now I don't know.

*** Before I forget, one more question on these BBKs. I've heard they are a lot heavier than factory setup. I have non-brembos. From a performance perspective is the car going to feel that much slower by doubling the weight of the brakes? Anyone with these have experience? Thanks again.
The rotors shown here are not factory rotors. Factory rotors should be just like 370/G37 Sports.

They will be 10lbs heavier than stock non brembos..this and will be a negative in acceleration and handling. Looks and heat capacity is a plus though. I got 13" Stoptechs which are 4 lbs LIGHTER than stock (front).
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM
ntwillie1

Thanks Ron. The reason for my concern is that i'm not getting factory rotors, i'd be getting the centric/power slot slotted and drilled. It really is more about looks for me as I never track the car or anything but I don't really want to do anything to it to make it slower. To be honest the car just sits in the garage like 98% of the year.

I priced out a set of stoptechs from one of the vendors and they wanted $3100 for 13"s and $3500 for 14's. I know they are lighter but thats twice the price. Oh wait, my bad, that was for Wilwoods. But I would imagine they are in the same realm price wise.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Painted the rusted rotors.

Sanded with this:

Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
ntwillie1

Looks good dude. So did you sand and paint the whole rotor and then just let the brake pads take the paint off the piece it makes contact with?

Quick Reply: Question about akebonos on 350z