Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

mounting problem after lowering spring, quick help :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Ak48z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting problem after lowering spring, quick help :)

First time putting springs on a vehicle, I am doing the fronts right now and after I got everything out, and put back together with the new springs. I go to install it... and the top three bolts don't like up with the holes anymore.

The spring is sitting where I assume it is supposed to, there is a notch on the lower section and the spring starts there (on the lower end of notch). The top dust cover has a groove in it, and the spring end there. I mean it didn't seem like rocket science, but now it seems like I need to rotate the dust cover to line up with the holes, correct?

or does the whole spring need to rotate, and keep the correct upper mount, but the lower will move over some.

Is this normal?

Also I did HAVE to use spring compressors for my GF210 springs, weird how some people do and don't have to.

Last edited by Ak48z; 04-28-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak48z
First time putting springs on a vehicle, I am doing the fronts right now and after I got everything out, and put back together with the new springs. I go to install it... and the top three bolts don't like up with the holes anymore.

The spring is sitting where I assume it is supposed to, there is a notch on the lower section and the spring starts there (on the lower end of notch). The top dust cover has a groove in it, and the spring end there. I mean it didn't seem like rocket science, but now it seems like I need to rotate the dust cover to line up with the holes, correct?

or does the whole spring need to rotate, and keep the correct upper mount, but the lower will move over some.

Is this normal?

Also I did HAVE to use spring compressors for my GF210 springs, weird how some people do and don't have to.

Your shock is definitely rotated clockwise. Here's a pick for reference

I don't know..is there any possibility it's the shock for the other side?

Last edited by ronn1; 04-28-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Ak48z

The shock is definitely on the right side, you can tell by where the brake cable attaches, I thought of that myself and it just wouldn't work if I swapped them.

I did however rotate the springs a tad and got it to all line up... hopefully everything is good lol, havn't driven on it yet. Everything bolted back up after I rotated it a tad. There is actually a notch in the bottom mount on the strut for the spring and I lined it up with that, not directly next to the slant.

Time will tell, hopefully it doesn't fall apart on me.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 993 Likes on 754 Posts

You put the top hat on wrong relative to the body
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Ak48z

10-4 when you have the strut outside of the car, how are you supposed to align it properly?

If I would have just moved the top hat, the end of the spring would not align with grooves in the top hat.

I moved the whole top hat/spring over 1/2" to 3/4" ..... think I should take it all apart again? lol, just from looks it seems to be fine but I am no mechanic by any means.

Basically instead of the grooves on the top hat being off 1/2" I chose to make the bottom mount off 1/2".

Last edited by Ak48z; 04-28-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Refer to this post in the Spring install DIY. I used that technigue

Originally Posted by MR_X
You have to remember that most lowering springs are shorter than the OEM. What I usually do is, I will put every thing together. Press down on the upper mount so you can get the nut on there. screw the nut in a little, just enough to hold the upper mount but with enough play that you can rotate it so when you mount it in the car you can line up everything. Once every thing is mounted on the car, right before you put the strut bar on, you go ahead and tighten the nut on the upped mount via the shock tower.