Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tires wore out in 1k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Kileak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tires wore out in 1k miles?

I had my SPC rear camber kit installed by the alignment guy and on paper everything seems perfectly fine and within spec but my Potenza S-03 literally melted 2 weeks later. They went from approx 5/32 left to 0/32 left. But not unevenly... just smooth.

No I do not do burnouts or send my car sideways at every corner. Spirited driving yes but nothing to wear out tires on purpose...

Is it possible for those toe bolts to move out of spec by themselves? I swear that just by looking, the passenger rear wheel is at least a full degree towards the inside of the car... When looking from behind towards front tire. Might be that the car is not perfectly level also...

Also an important factor, and the only thing I can think: tires were manufactured in 2002... I purchased them last year already mounted on my Volk GT-C and they had around 7/32 left and looked perfectly fine, no cracks nothing. Is the fact that they are simply so old possibly the reason they melted for no reason?

The reason I'm asking is because I just bought Continental ExtremeContact to replace them and I don't want to go through those for no reason. Obviously I'm going to get another alignment done soon but I'd appreciate any thought on what might've happened. I read the Suspension 101 sticky and I was disappointed about not reading it before getting the toe bolts installed.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 AM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the tire wear was even all the way across the width of the tire I really doubt the alignment is the root cause. Have your alignment checked again, maybe even try a different shop to get a second opinion.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

what is your toe at?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Josh|Swag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have lockout washers? With adjustable toe bolts, as far as my knowledge goes, without lockout washers your toe can slip out of alignment.
I think it's a pretty common thing too.
I wouldn't think the year the tires were produced would cause them to wear THAT fast.
However, if your toe were out of line, your tire wouldn't wear out evenly.

Last edited by Josh|Swag; 05-12-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kileak
Is it possible for those toe bolts to move out of spec by themselves?
Yes. That issue is discussed in the "Suspension 101" thread
I did put marker circle around mine (SPC) and occassionally I do visual checks. So far so good

Last edited by beezee; 05-12-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very common post. No way to verify miles on "destroyed tires." No photos of course.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
what is your toe at?
^^ this.

toe is what eats tires.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you think 10 year old tires were a good idea?

PrOb dry rotted. Did you get a computer alignment printout?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

tires from 2002?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my SPC rear camber kit installed by the alignment guy and on paper everything seems perfectly fine and within spec but my Potenza S-03 literally melted 2 weeks later. They went from approx 5/32 left to 0/32 left. But not unevenly... just smooth.

No I do not do burnouts or send my car sideways at every corner. Spirited driving yes but nothing to wear out tires on purpose...

Is it possible for those toe bolts to move out of spec by themselves? I swear that just by looking, the passenger rear wheel is at least a full degree towards the inside of the car... When looking from behind towards front tire. Might be that the car is not perfectly level also...

Also an important factor, and the only thing I can think: tires were manufactured in 2002... I purchased them last year already mounted on my Volk GT-C and they had around 7/32 left and looked perfectly fine, no cracks nothing. Is the fact that they are simply so old possibly the reason they melted for no reason?

The reason I'm asking is because I just bought Continental ExtremeContact to replace them and I don't want to go through those for no reason. Obviously I'm going to get another alignment done soon but I'd appreciate any thought on what might've happened. I read the Suspension 101 sticky and I was disappointed about not reading it before getting the toe bolts installed.
BLue is your issue, those were 10 year old tires. Firestone themselves( I used to work for them) Will take those off the shelves after 3. They were dryrotted to hell and back 3 times.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Kileak

Originally Posted by 2000atlanticgt
If the tire wear was even all the way across the width of the tire I really doubt the alignment is the root cause. Have your alignment checked again, maybe even try a different shop to get a second opinion.
Wear was pretty even except for the outside which still had some tread left, running 1.5 degree camber does that I guess. I will go to a different shop to see the read-out.

Originally Posted by Cux350z
what is your toe at?
1/32" on both sides, 1/16" total toe in on the paper they gave me

Originally Posted by Josh|Swag
Do you have lockout washers? With adjustable toe bolts, as far as my knowledge goes, without lockout washers your toe can slip out of alignment.
I think it's a pretty common thing too.
I wouldn't think the year the tires were produced would cause them to wear THAT fast.
However, if your toe were out of line, your tire wouldn't wear out evenly.
Lockout washers for the camber eccentric bolts? No but perhaps I should get some. I did look underneath and they are installed perfectly centered.

Originally Posted by beezee
Yes. That issue is discussed in the "Suspension 101" thread
I did put marker circle around mine (SPC) and occassionally I do visual checks. So far so good
Good idea, I'll mark mine once I get it double-checked. One thing that does look weird is the fact that on the driver side, the "fat" portion of the eccentric washers are on top, like stock, but on the passenger side, the fat part is on the bottom. Would that have any impact on anything?

Originally Posted by lgear080
Why did you think 10 year old tires were a good idea?

PrOb dry rotted. Did you get a computer alignment printout?
If I'd have known they were 10 years old I still would've bought them, they came with the wheels I wanted. I would've discussed the price a little more but I was unaware of the manuf dates being printed on tires.

As for a printout yes I did and everything on there is within specs. But perhaps the suspension settled after the alignment and now everything is out of wack.

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
BLue is your issue, those were 10 year old tires. Firestone themselves( I used to work for them) Will take those off the shelves after 3. They were dryrotted to hell and back 3 times.
That's what my conclusion was after all that but I'm still nervous about it and don't want the new ones to wear out. Just today, I washed and detailed the car, drove it 25 miles and after found what seems to be rubber dust on the rear mudflaps and a little around the fenders...

Anyways, thank you all for your input. I'll get the alignment double-checked elsewhere.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alignment is spot on.

tires are not.

if the same thing happens on a new/recent used setup
get back to us.

/thread.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Kileak

My brand new Continental ExtremeContact DW I got installed friday give out a pretty bad rubber smell every time I park it.

I'm bringing it back to the alignment shop tomorrow, the guy over there said he'd it double-check everything as this is just stupid.

I'm just convinced that the fact that they performed alignment right after dropping the car down from the lift, when it hadn't settled, screws up everything.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty bad rubber smell? I would guess something is rubbing.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Kileak

Brought it back to the same shop who had done it the first time:

Driver side toe had moved from 1/32 to 1/8, passenger side had moved from 1/32 to 9/32...

They aligned it back to 1/32 and marked the bolts, the washers and the frame for me to have a visual reference and I'll check every now and then to see if it's moved...

No idea how it moved out of spec like that. They had a different mechanic perform the alignment and he mentionned something about the other guy not loosening them before adjusting.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brand new Continental ExtremeContact DW I got installed friday give out a pretty bad rubber smell every time I park it.

I'm bringing it back to the alignment shop tomorrow, the guy over there said he'd it double-check everything as this is just stupid.

I'm just convinced that the fact that they performed alignment right after dropping the car down from the lift, when it hadn't settled, screws up everything.
There you go..someone fugged up.