Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Adjustable ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 05:43 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

^Just fronts, Umbrella will not offer a rear kit on the 350z, even on a true type coilover.

their cups have a very large diameter that will not fit in the rear of a 350z strut tower.
Old 06-20-2012 | 05:48 PM
SDGenius

just fronts for $2400 and $3400 for all 4 but he doesn't do the rears for G/Z due to not enough clearence to retain functionallity when using "true" style rears. these are out the door prices complete kits pre-assembled/ready to install on ur car, not a box full pieces.
Old 06-20-2012 | 05:50 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Just the fronts... I'm working with EA at the moment and they offer all 4. I'm only doing the front like SDGenius did.
Old 06-20-2012 | 05:53 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

The pre assembled mount for the compressor and tank/valves does nothing for me. I do not want to mount them in the hatch area. I have plenty of room behind the seats.

Also, if youre using the 65mm springs on a system that did not come with them originally, you may need bushings (similar to hub rings) so that the spring stays centered.

custom DIY here. I am building my own controller using a arduino microcontroller. Its a fun project. Going to separate front and rears, know line pressures and control the SV's, compressor activation with status displayed on LCD screen. Nerdy, but fun.
Old 06-20-2012 | 06:10 PM
SDGenius

that's cool if you really need all 4. i just wouldn't want a bigger/heavier tank that takes longer to refill(noise). also since my main issue is harsh angles and my front end(splitter), lifting the rear would only lose angle on the front.
Old 06-20-2012 | 06:13 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

I need rear for my drive way. Between the curb and my downhill sloping driveway i have to ride like a 4x4 to not destroy my sideskirts. I hate my rideheight but my sideskirts have taken a beating.
Old 06-20-2012 | 06:27 PM
SDGenius

ouch, that sucks. the EA/SonicMS kit does look promising just wish they didn't price it so much higher over other kits that are already considered "highend." they're asking $1200 each cup retail, or $1000 each sponsored price, that's not including anything else you need. i don't know why they even list price per cup, no one is gonna buy a single cup. plus $500 for the rest of what you need.
Old 06-22-2012 | 01:36 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Got my cups in today!

Shock shaft not required for sealing. does the roberuta/vrh kit require the shaft diameter to be a sealing surface? I have heard of a third brand that the VW crowd uses that does require it to fit.
Old 06-26-2012 | 08:50 AM
SDGenius

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Got my cups in today!

Shock shaft not required for sealing. does the roberuta/vrh kit require the shaft diameter to be a sealing surface? I have heard of a third brand that the VW crowd uses that does require it to fit.
yeah, you wouldn't want to seal the shock shaft on the EA kit, they only use T6061-T6 aluminum so you wouldn't want that to come in contact to the stainless steel shock shaft, it would ware the hole out making it larger over time creating seating issues. i would hope that EA avoided that by sealing internally, which would explain the longer body design.
Old 06-26-2012 | 02:11 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

internally sealed. Cup does not move up/down relative to the shaft so wear in that direction is non issue.

Also, i do not think the shafts are SS. They are plated with something or some other metal. looks like chrome vanadium but i am not sure.
Old 06-26-2012 | 02:29 PM
SDGenius

i didn't mean the ware from moving up and down, i know it doesn't move on top. i meant from the fact that the suspension geometry doesn't want the cup to sit perfectly centered on the shaft, there will be vibrations causing the two to come into contact. unless the holes are over sized, but then you'd be inviting debit into the cup.
Old 06-26-2012 | 03:13 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

So maybe add a SS insert or a rubber bushing?
Old 06-26-2012 | 04:04 PM
SDGenius

SS insert have worked on other cups. i don't doubt that the EA cups are a "solid" choice but it seems they have a few of the design issues other start up cup kits had 3 or 4 yrs ago that have since faded away. they are marketing these very upscale but are using weaker/cheaper materials, leaving more labor for the installer and charging more for it. i don't like a lot their gimmicky selling points...

"Over engineered for durability and functionality" still has a few basic "flaws"

"Our design is minimized for efficiency therefore much lighter in comparison" i though over engineered? minimized for profits would've been more honest

"3 seconds of ultra smooth lifting when needed" 3 seconds is actually ridiculously long for cups to fill, should be 1/2 a sec to 1 sec tops.

"Unlike competitors, our system does not rely on multiple 0-rings attempting to seal on the shock shaft" never even heard of any system using multiple O rings, i though maybe roberuta's(since they're old) but they don't either.

"Forged premium US grade T6061-T6 aircraft aluminum" most commonly used aluminum grade and half as strong as what others are using

"ExoticAir" never installed on any "exotic" cars

i dunno just seems like they're trying to cash in on peoples lack of info on cupkits in general. based on what you get, these seem like a cheaper compromise between Platinum VIP's Phantom Cups(more customization for hiding components) and Umbrella's VRH(no compromises performance oriented) but somehow they're charging more.
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:03 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

^ok i think we have put up with enough of your ExoticAir bashing. Please enjoy your system and I will enjoy mine.

Ravi is a paint to deal with.
Umbrella cups are ugly
Umbrella is to secret about their system, lack of pictures/prices/media
Umbrella does not have a rear solution
Umbrella does not provide the same stroke
Where are the TECH specs on umbrella or will ravi even release that information?

Who cares if they provide a pre-mounted compressor/tank. That setup will only work for a few people. Not every car has a flat spot to mount such a large plate. It looks nice but that is about it.

Reason why it may take longer is that the included flapper valve is feeding both cups. 1/4 od hose will restrict the CFM. My system will have 1/4" hose for each cup which should help it raise faster. And 3 seconds.........wow that is so long...........GTFO
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:26 PM
SDGenius

Originally Posted by Cux350z
^ok i think we have put up with enough of your ExoticAir bashing. Please enjoy your system and I will enjoy mine.

Ravi is a paint to deal with.
Umbrella cups are ugly
Umbrella is to secret about their system, lack of pictures/prices/media
Umbrella does not have a rear solution
Umbrella does not provide the same stroke
Where are the TECH specs on umbrella or will ravi even release that information?

Who cares if they provide a pre-mounted compressor/tank. That setup will only work for a few people. Not every car has a flat spot to mount such a large plate. It looks nice but that is about it.

Reason why it may take longer is that the included flapper valve is feeding both cups. 1/4 od hose will restrict the CFM. My system will have 1/4" hose for each cup which should help it raise faster. And 3 seconds.........wow that is so long...........GTFO
wow, not bashing at all, just trying to help out the uniformed from over spending. like i said, i don't doubt it's a solid setup but they're not marketing it as a solid setup, they're marketing it as a premium one. that's it, it's like if Megan Racing came out trying to say they offer ultra premium products and not just "okay for most" products. the reason Umbrella doesn't post post ***** it's specs is to prevent "Mickey mouse" overnight companies from steeling over 10yrs of experience building quality setups. i have ZERO to gain from this, i didn't promise some new company rave reviews for a discount. the whole point of cups is to enable you to DRIVE low, bags are too soft low and w/o lifters coils can be impractical. yes, 3 seconds is too long when you're driving at speed and you see a pot hole last minute. i get that Ravi pissed you off but that doesn't change the quality of his product. there's no rear setup for the reasons you're finding out now, too many compromises. if it can't be done right, why do it? to help one dude for one situation? if EA can get away with selling their kit for that much, more power to them but that doesn't make them better than anything.
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:32 PM
SDGenius

btw, there are a few other flaws i won't mention because i'm not getting payed to do R&D for EA but i wish you luck w/them and hope they do eventually improve their product as well as lower their prices.
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:40 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting
Premier Member

this thread turned out to be informative!
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:42 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SDGenius
wow, not bashing at all, just trying to help out the uniformed from over spending. like i said, i don't doubt it's a solid setup but they're not marketing it as a solid setup, they're marketing it as a premium one. that's it, it's like if Megan Racing came out trying to say they offer ultra premium products and not just "okay for most" products. the reason Umbrella doesn't post post ***** it's specs is to prevent "Mickey mouse" overnight companies from steeling over 10yrs of experience building quality setups. i have ZERO to gain from this, i didn't promise some new company rave reviews for a discount. the whole point of cups is to enable you to DRIVE low, bags are too soft low and w/o lifters coils can be impractical. yes, 3 seconds is too long when you're driving at speed and you see a pot hole last minute. i get that Ravi pissed you off but that doesn't change the quality of his product. there's no rear setup for the reasons you're finding out now, too many compromises. if it can't be done right, why do it? to help one dude for one situation? if EA can get away with selling their kit for that much, more power to them but that doesn't make them better than anything.

So you have time to react and raise your car to miss a pot hole, vs avoiding it all together?

10 yrs? Umbrella's VRH has not been around that long.
Is he worried that someone will do what he did and copy his design? Can you honestly say he did not make a copy of Roberuta? He is not the original.

What is my compromise in the rear? You tried to make a claim that the rear cup was close to the lower spring bucket but you are wrong. The rear cup doesnt even cross the top plane of the spring bucket. You may have heard me say it before but the spring only compresses .6" for every inch that the strut compresses. The cup leaves over 4" of the spring exposed.........which is about 6.8" of strut movement and once the car is on the ground with a 8kg spring there is still 5" of movement of the strut.
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:44 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SDGenius
btw, there are a few other flaws i won't mention because i'm not getting payed to do R&D for EA but i wish you luck w/them and hope they do eventually improve their product as well as lower their prices.
Please do go on since you are an EXPERT on something that just was brought to the public.
Old 06-26-2012 | 05:56 PM
SDGenius

look man, your rear is no where near low PERIOD. you act like an extra inch will get you low, it won't, for you to actually get low, you will be hitting the LCA. yes, avoiding accidents is measured in the milliseconds, yes 3 seconds is far from ideal.

Last edited by SDGenius; 06-26-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjustable ride height