Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Strut bar spacers messing with the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Zoco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut bar spacers messing with the hood

I recently installed my 5/16 copper iso spacer and put the spacers underneath the strut bar like the instructions said. I closed my hood and everything looked fine. Until i noticed that the gap between the hood and front finders on both sides is a little bigger than what it used to be. So i took the spacers off, but when i did that the strut bar was touching the engine! So basically the spacers are too fat. Advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pictures ????

mine went in fine,... unless possibly the sent the wrong size spacers or.... are you sure you have the 5/16 and not the bigger one??

work thru it, pretty good bang for the buck.

Last edited by Ronin82; 08-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually 5/16" spacers do not effect the strut bar.The spacers(washers)for the strut bar
most times do the trick.Using those spacers,how much torque(wrench)did you use?
How much clearance do you need...the area that the strut bar is hitting the hood?
Imagine that the part of the hood that the strut bar is touching is the supports.
I have a similar problem with my Carbing strut bar.Hits the support on the driver's side
a bit.I torqued down the bar a bit.It not bad.
So,what to do?
Go with another stut bar from OEM.Or,"Dimple" the support that is hitting the strut bar.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Zoco

[QUOTE=JCITY;9833855]Usually 5/16" spacers do not effect the strut bar.The spacers(washers)for the strut bar
most times do the trick.Using those spacers,how much torque(wrench)did you use?
How much clearance do you need...the area that the strut bar is hitting the hood?
Imagine that the part of the hood that the strut bar is touching is the supports.
I have a similar problem with my Carbing strut bar.Hits the support on the driver's side
a bit.I torqued down the bar a bit.It not bad.
So,what to do?
Go with another stut bar from OEM.Or,"Dimple" the support that is hitting the strut bar.[/QUOTE
I'm sorry I don't have pics, but it's something that's really not that noticeable except to me. You can tell the strut bar is pushing on the inside side of the hood. I toqued down the 6 bolts to 24 ft lbs and the 2 nuts to 20ft lbs just like the instructions said. I mean i guess I could just go and get washers that are thinner because there is some space between the strut bar and engine. I will try to post pics when I get home from work

Last edited by Zoco; 08-03-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a couple ideas. After installing the spacer you hear vibrations comming from your engine, add washers. If your hood wont close take washers off. If you don't have enough just go pick some up from a hardware store. I suggest getting thin washers that will still fit around the bolt so you have more height adjustment. Just make sure not to close your hood too hard with more washers on. You might slam your hood on the strut bar!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

OEM strut bar?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Zoco

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
OEM strut bar?
yes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Zoco

[QUOTE=TimsZee;9833977]Here's a couple ideas. After installing the spacer you hear vibrations comming from your engine, add washers. If your hood wont close take washers off. If you don't have enough just go pick some up from a hardware store. I suggest getting thin washers that will still fit around the bolt so you have more height adjustment. Just make sure not to close your hood too hard with more washers on. You might slam your hood on the strut bar![/QUOTE

the whole problem is just the washers are to fat. They raise up the strut bar too much. But if i put the strut bar on without the washers that motordyne gave me the strut bar touches the engine. So im just going to get some thinner washers that raise the strut bar, but not as fat as the ones motordyne gave me.

Last edited by Zoco; 08-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put some clay on the high spots of the strut bar. close the hood as you normal do. open hood and see how flat the clay got, this is your clearance. use miminal clearance between the strut bar and hood to give your motor more room to move.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM
2000atlanticgt

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem over a year ago when I installed mine. I just found some washers to use instead of the ones provided to clear the intake and not get into the hood...problem solved.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Zoco

Originally Posted by 2000atlanticgt
I had the same problem over a year ago when I installed mine. I just found some washers to use instead of the ones provided to clear the intake and not get into the hood...problem solved.
exactly what Im going to do.
Thanks for all the help guys
Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimsZee
Here's a couple ideas. After installing the spacer you hear vibrations comming from your engine, add washers. If your hood wont close take washers off. If you don't have enough just go pick some up from a hardware store. I suggest getting thin washers that will still fit around the bolt so you have more height adjustment. Just make sure not to close your hood too hard with more washers on. You might slam your hood on the strut bar!
Eh?