Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tired of Searching! Noob needs Help Upgrading Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
KINNIZLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tired of Searching! Noob needs Help Upgrading Brakes

Alright guys here it is, I Have an 04 enthusiast with performance bolt on mods. Im almost finished paying the car off and it will be one of those vehicles that I will fix up and keep long term. Performance wise all I have left is JWT light flywheel and clutch. However my friend whom was inspired to get a Z after being in mine has the Touring edition. I drove his car and got out jealous. It just felt much better then mine. Fist off My brakes are garbage! and im not sure if the Touring has different calipers or if his just had better rotors and pads but they have some bite and are wayyy better then mine. My poor awful brakes make my car feel like a heavy elephant, it just doesnt have that stopping power you would want thus making the car feel overly heavy. My budget is 1500 bucks, the bbk ive been reading about look awesome but seem difficult to touch unless your wanting to spend a minimum of 2 grand. Honestly im never going to track my car, maybe once if I ever get around to it. All i want is for the car to have strong demanding and persistent stopping power. I will not be abusing them like if it were track day just city and highway driving. I do drive fast everywhere and I will get on the brakes a fair amount on my daily commutes, I mean its a Z what do you expect hence my frustration. Im use to driving bmw's 335,535,540,M3 etc all those cars have excellent daily driving brakes and thats what im looking for. This 1 piston 350z caliper just isnt cutting it. So now that you know what im looking for and how much I want to spend please help!!! Will just better rotors and better pads do the trick? or should I get a bbk in the front and leave the stock calipers as they are and just change the rotors and pads or should I consider something like what this guy suggested http://www.carolinazclub.com/showthr...t-BBK-for-350Z.....
Please suggest best course of action and then actual components because I have read so many options its tough to track whats the best company for price. I want to go new, I know you could get a decent set of used Brembos but I refuse to believe that with such a large after-market that I would be force to buy used parts. Last thing I plan on keeping this car long term so reliability and longevity is something that's important. BTW im rolling 18's and after this im working on the entire suspension cuz I like that Touring's handling way better than mine. THANK THANKS THANKS guys!!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Here you go man plain and simple get the 370z BBk. This is the route that will best work for you... https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/4142...at-1200-a.html
Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some threads for you to reference from the DIY Section of our forum:

Making your own budget BBK:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...udget-bbk.html

Non-Brembo to Brembo upgrade:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...bo-brakes.html

Akebono upgrade:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...03-07-g-z.html

Also the cheapest option is the StopTech Stage 2 upgrade which is new rotors, pads, stainless steel lines, and fluid:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...with-pics.html
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 PM
thespottedcow

could get the akebono bbks from the 370z, somewhere in that 1500 brand new from vendors on here

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=4626
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 AM
asnf00

If you are not tracking the car then BBK is sorta overkill for daily driving since you will never see the benefit. There's people who track/autox with the standard brakes just by changing out to stainless steel lines, good fluid, and pads. If you are doing it because you like the bling of a bbk then that's a different story.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
KINNIZLE

Guys thank you for the responses. The Akebono kit looks awesome but once its all said and done it ends up in the 2grand arena which is what I was avoiding. I am leaning towards just doing the Stoptech 2 upgrade rotor and pads with SS lines. My only concern is that it be a waist of money because it would'nt deliver the performance that Im looking for. Ive read that the Hawk pads are the best so im considering using them in the combination and pray to god that it will brake much better. I just hope that im not going to be kicking my own butt for not going with the Akebono kit. Honestly im not concerned about looks more importantly practicality and bang for the buck.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KINNIZLE
Alright guys here it is, I Have an 04 enthusiast with performance bolt on mods. Im almost finished paying the car off and it will be one of those vehicles that I will fix up and keep long term. Performance wise all I have left is JWT light flywheel and clutch. However my friend whom was inspired to get a Z after being in mine has the Touring edition. I drove his car and got out jealous. It just felt much better then mine. Fist off My brakes are garbage! and im not sure if the Touring has different calipers or if his just had better rotors and pads but they have some bite and are wayyy better then mine. My poor awful brakes make my car feel like a heavy elephant, it just doesnt have that stopping power you would want thus making the car feel overly heavy. My budget is 1500 bucks, the bbk ive been reading about look awesome but seem difficult to touch unless your wanting to spend a minimum of 2 grand. Honestly im never going to track my car, maybe once if I ever get around to it. All i want is for the car to have strong demanding and persistent stopping power. I will not be abusing them like if it were track day just city and highway driving. I do drive fast everywhere and I will get on the brakes a fair amount on my daily commutes, I mean its a Z what do you expect hence my frustration. Im use to driving bmw's 335,535,540,M3 etc all those cars have excellent daily driving brakes and thats what im looking for. This 1 piston 350z caliper just isnt cutting it. So now that you know what im looking for and how much I want to spend please help!!! Will just better rotors and better pads do the trick? or should I get a bbk in the front and leave the stock calipers as they are and just change the rotors and pads or should I consider something like what this guy suggested http://www.carolinazclub.com/showthr...t-BBK-for-350Z.....
Please suggest best course of action and then actual components because I have read so many options its tough to track whats the best company for price. I want to go new, I know you could get a decent set of used Brembos but I refuse to believe that with such a large after-market that I would be force to buy used parts. Last thing I plan on keeping this car long term so reliability and longevity is something that's important. BTW im rolling 18's and after this im working on the entire suspension cuz I like that Touring's handling way better than mine. THANK THANKS THANKS guys!!

all you really need would be better pad compound and SS brake lines to improve brake feel and stopping distance.. you don't need a BBK based on what you said. and actually this is in a sticky in this section.