Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

d2 true style coils

Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d2 true style coils

Hey guys,

Ive read every single d2 thread on this site, and even some from honda/vw threads, which doesnt really help since I want to put them on my z. The general consensus is that these are pretty good for the money. Can anyone else chime in with how these ride? Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Junk
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

My buddy had a set and loved them.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
My buddy had a set and loved them.
What did he love about them?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

As long as they are not bouncy and decently smooth I am good.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
As long as they are not bouncy and decently smooth I am good.
This level of standard is exactly why there are so many junk coilovers out there.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

^^Well I dont track
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
^^Well I dont track
Then buy springs
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 AM
lotteman

Terrasmak speaks truth, people.

D2, megan, ksport and the like are all crap. I have ksports myself that i bought in my days of penny pinching and slight ignorance and im pretty dissapointed but i suppose thats expected.

First complaint, is that the springs rates they all seem to come with suck as their either too stiff or have terrible front/rear balance. If you do a little bit of research yourself you can definately see the lack or r&d these companies do. From what I noticed about cheap coilover companies is they like to pick arbitrary spring rates that the general consumer(read uninformed) thinks would handle well, while in reality they dont.

example, my ksports(true coilover type) came with 12kg/mm springs in front and 7.2kg/mm rear. Now to the average uninformed reader, most would assume that those springrates handle well, while the likes of terrasmak will tell you that the car will oversteer and try to kill you everytime you go through a corner. the latter is true through my personal experience.

long story short, dont bother with cheap coilovers. Its not just a matter of shitty spring rates but also a matter of crappy shock valving which im not qualified enough to go into detail about. If youre not gonna track the car, just get spring/shock combo.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

There are definitely other options out there that will outperform coilovers like D2s, but in that price range I don't know how much better any other brand would really be either.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM
reuben350z

springs and tokico blues(hp) shocks
this will be smooth, comfortable, and save you some cash..
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM
lotteman

Koni yellows with threaded sleeves+ whatever spring rate you want.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
joshtow15

Default i like mine.

Don't knock it till you try it. I just installed these two weeks ago and no complaints here. No I don't track my car but have ridden/driven other Z's running other brands of coil overs and I have to say some felt the same and others felt a little softer. Not that big of a difference. I wanted the adjustability of a coil over set up and didn't want to spend over a grand, problem solved. Materials and craftmenship looked on par with other companies i have seen. I believe d2 has improved their product from what they were offering two or three years ago. Replacements come from north carolina, no long wait if you blow one or need replacement. Just my
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

^^Thanks for the review bro! How low are you and its still a smooth ride?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM
joshtow15

I didn't measure the total drop, I had tein s tech and still had more wheel gap on a 245-40 and 245-45-18 set up than I liked. No gap now. The coil overs will go much lower than I wanted to run it, Georgia roads aren't great. I personally like the way it rides now vs my old setup. I have the settings at about half stiffness and love it, no more wheel hop when I launch hard. I can'tspeak for the longevity of d2s but I am a fan so far. If your looking to go very low I think you could do so, there are still more than 4 inches of threads on the coil over body unused at my ride height. If you are willing to spend more or want to track I say use the suggestions of other long time forum members, there are some very knowledgeable folks on here.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM
lotteman

Originally Posted by joshtow15
Don't knock it till you try it. I just installed these two weeks ago and no complaints here. No I don't track my car but have ridden/driven other Z's running other brands of coil overs and I have to say some felt the same and others felt a little softer. Not that big of a difference. I wanted the adjustability of a coil over set up and didn't want to spend over a grand, problem solved. Materials and craftmenship looked on par with other companies i have seen. I believe d2 has improved their product from what they were offering two or three years ago. Replacements come from north carolina, no long wait if you blow one or need replacement. Just my
I tried it and now im knocking on it. these things suck, i blew a damper in about a year. and its gauranteed that they come with spring rates that are way too high for your purposes.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

OP, what purpose you have in mind should determine how much you spend. If you have every intent of going low(er than normal) or slammed and simply have a cruiser that you have no intention of tracking, "cheap" coilovers are your best option. Here's why. 1) a spring/shock combo is not going to get you the drop you want. The only way to achieve that is custom spring rates (true custom not just different than everyone else) and custom shocks that would include a shorter stock body to begin with. IF you can find someone to custom build that, you're going to be paying an arm and a leg to have it made. 2) and this ties into #1, if you go with a true coilover or even a better built brand of product like say a KW or Tein or Greddy, etc, you're going to be in the $1300+ range (and in all honestly, you'll probably be higher than that). You're also going to have to spend extra money for custom spring rates yet again because those will not achieve the low you're looking for.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending that kind of money on suspension, but if you have no intention of using it for its intended purpose, I don't see the point.

As for the D2, BC, megan, etc being crap, I think that's really a matter of opinion. They all do what people buy them for. I would NOT purchase these for a dedicated track car or even a weekend warrior. But for a car that cruises the roadways low-n-slow, AB! SEW! LUTELEE!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

For the d2 owners, how did you set the preload? I heard you are only supposed to turn the collar with your hand and just make sure its not loose. Is that correct?