Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Clicking when braking. NIGHTMARE.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
dykel3fiddyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking when braking. NIGHTMARE.

Hey guys. Ive had my Z for about a year now. Its had a clicking noise when braking for over 6 months. I. Am. SICK. Of. It. It will NOT go away. The sound gets shorter and shorter as I slow down. The last few clicks when im just about at a complete stop almost sound like teeth grinding very slowly. Ive brought it to the dealership over 7 times. First trip, it was the "Axle click" they greased everything up. Still does it. 2nd time, sent me off. 3rd time, "There was nothing much they could do but grease the Axle's up again. When its clearly a braking problem. Went to another dealership. Its a bigger one about 35 miles up the road. They inspected the car, and stated that it was because I had no brake hardware. I purchased the hardware kit and had them install it. Stopped for about a week or 2. Its back again. I call them and they tell me, "Put new brake pads on, that should help." I go out and buy pads. Put them on. Still clicks. It seems like nothing is working. If I can find my camera ill record the sound myself. Does anyone know what this could possibly be?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
xiaolinmonk

I have the same issue! Dealer just greased up the axel, didn't help. Never bothered going back again. Its not a huge problem, but when not listening to music the clicking noise becomes really f*cking annoying! I would like some assistance with this as well. Dealers cant seem to figure anything out -_-
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
OkashiZ

I've been trying to figure this out for over a year. I checked everything that I could think of and it's still there.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you sure its not your abs activating at low speeds? Bad VDC/ABS modules will do this
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Rotors are most likely warped on the front, What is happening is the pads are sliding back and forth in the brackets, when the rotors are warped it causes the shims to get a notch in them and then will click/grind as the rotors move the pads back and forth as you slow down.

Pull the front pads off, Look at the shims that the pads sit in in the brackets closely, You will probably see grooves worn into them from where the pad contacts them. You can smooth these off with a grinder/sander lightly to smooth out the groove or just replace them, Add a very light coat of brake lube to the shim surface where the pads contact them, this will cure it for a while but until you fix the main problem (warped rotors) it will come back eventually.

Its possible the rears are making noise also but normally just the fronts do this.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM
dykel3fiddyz

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
Rotors are most likely warped on the front, What is happening is the pads are sliding back and forth in the brackets, when the rotors are warped it causes the shims to get a notch in them and then will click/grind as the rotors move the pads back and forth as you slow down.

Pull the front pads off, Look at the shims that the pads sit in in the brackets closely, You will probably see grooves worn into them from where the pad contacts them. You can smooth these off with a grinder/sander lightly to smooth out the groove or just replace them, Add a very light coat of brake lube to the shim surface where the pads contact them, this will cure it for a while but until you fix the main problem (warped rotors) it will come back eventually.

Its possible the rears are making noise also but normally just the fronts do this.

Its coming directly from the rear brake, driver side. I will get new rotors I suppose. Then everything having to do with brakes will be replaced. Except for the calipers. Thanks for the info. I will try this out and see if it works.

Also, im glad im not the only one with this issue. Music does take the noise away. But, i know its there and I know everyone around me can hear it.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
dykel3fiddyz

I am completely DONE with STEALERships. Worst experience ever.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dykel3fiddyz
Its coming directly from the rear brake, driver side. I will get new rotors I suppose. Then everything having to do with brakes will be replaced. Except for the calipers. Thanks for the info. I will try this out and see if it works.

Also, im glad im not the only one with this issue. Music does take the noise away. But, i know its there and I know everyone around me can hear it.
If it's coming from the rear it could be axle click also, It normally makes a high pitched metallic crunching/snapping sound if the axles are dry. Brakes will "Creak"
A lot of times the dealer will just spray lube in the back of the axle snub and this will not fix it long term. The axle needs to pulled out and greased/cleaned correctly to fix it permanently.

You can take the nut off the axle, Shove the axle in as far as it will go, Apply moly grease inside the where the axle sits in the bearing with a small brush, Re torque axle nut and it should fix it, only other choice is to remove axle completely, clean rust with a wire brush and lube with moly on the splines/axle and wheel bearing contact areas of the axle.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM
dykel3fiddyz

If it's coming from the rear it could be axle click also, It normally makes a high pitched metallic crunching/snapping sound if the axles are dry. Brakes will "Creak"
A lot of times the dealer will just spray lube in the back of the axle snub and this will not fix it long term. The axle needs to pulled out and greased/cleaned correctly to fix it permanently.

You can take the nut off the axle, Shove the axle in as far as it will go, Apply moly grease inside the where the axle sits in the bearing with a small brush, Re torque axle nut and it should fix it, only other choice is to remove axle completely, clean rust with a wire brush and lube with moly on the splines/axle and wheel bearing contact areas of the axle.
Ive done that as well my friend, did absolutely nothing. The only thing left to do is get new rotors. If that doesn't fix it.....

I found my camera today. I'll make a video so you can hear exactly what it sounds like. To get a better idea of what it is.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

May also check/clean rust if there is any in the pad brackets, Pads must move/slide freely in the brackets.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM
dykel3fiddyz

May also check/clean rust if there is any in the pad brackets, Pads must move/slide freely in the brackets.
I'll try that as well. Thanks man.