Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Here is my Z, questions on a few upcoming mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
AT1222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is my Z, questions on a few upcoming mods

Well here is my 07 Z so far. I have a dynotune nitrous kit all but ready to go (lacking drilling the intakes for the nozzles and finishing the microedge controller wiring) awaiting a 75 shot tune with osiris. I plan on running varrstoen 2.2.2's 9.5 front and 10.5 rear, will these be wide enough to hold big enough tires to hold the power to the ground? I drag the car probably once a month and autoX 2-3 times a year, so what size tires would fit(presumably with a fender roll) and be the best performance wise? Will these fit a bbk if I eventually decide on going that route? I also plan on lowering it on coilovers but would like to stay sub 1000$ on those, I am skeptical on the topspeed ones being so cheap, would you all recommend those or another set for best performance on the track? And while I am doing the coilovers, what else should I get while I am there as far as camber/toe arms things like that? I do not want it too low because it is a DD, but I do want an aggressive stance preferably flush but not taking anything away performance wise. Any help greatly appreciated, I look forward to modding the Z the way it should be!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

What offset are the wheels, edit. You will want higher offset wheels like +22ish for wide rubber.

Last edited by terrasmak; 12-10-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 PM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very good looking car if you take out the wing
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
AT1222

I will be getting 18's for cheaper tires since I eat through them quickly and I will be tracking the car. But as far as I know, they either come in +12 f and +15r or +22 all around. So you would recommend the +22?

And I like the wing, I have the front, rear, and sides to match but it will be a while before they are painted and put on, that isn't as important to me as power and handling.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by AT1222
I will be getting 18's for cheaper tires since I eat through them quickly and I will be tracking the car. But as far as I know, they either come in +12 f and +15r or +22 all around. So you would recommend the +22?

And I like the wing, I have the front, rear, and sides to match but it will be a while before they are painted and put on, that isn't as important to me as power and handling.
Pay the extra few bucks for some quality Enkei's instead.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM
AT1222

I want the volk te37 time attack look like I have now(I was ready to purchase a set on here from a guy for 2400 until he backed out on me. I don't have the funds now and am going back to school in January) and I don't mind having a "replica" set, that isn't important to me. I would rather have function with a little form, now if this was a Sunday only car show kinda car I would probably spend the money to make everything look nice and authentic. I am going for a budget(but quality) semi race car that is daily drivable and I would hate to ruin a very nice set of wheels like that. I just want to beef up the already great base platform so it will perform better than stock and be a little more aggressive than any regular old z your grandma drives. I pretty much have my mind made up what I want to do to it, and that is varrstoens unless I wait to find a good price on the volks and save up. But I want to make some progress before I have no time because of school
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 PM
acke15

Spend another 300-500$ more and buy the enkie rfp1s. They will clear your future bbk. And they are lighter than varrstoens.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by acke15
Spend another 300-500$ more and buy the enkie rfp1s. They will clear your future bbk. And they are lighter than varrstoens.
I doubt they are even that much more
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPF1
Wilwood
Truechoice or Cusco
Kinetix
Whiteline

This to me is a good starting point. The main reason you should at the very least get a set of RPF1s is becuase they are awesome wheels and are not expensive to add or replace as needed. Same goes with everything else on this list.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 AM
pss350z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Pay the extra few bucks for some quality Enkei's instead.
+1... If ur going with 18s and drag and autocross then wouldn't it make sense to get something thats an improvement over what you already have? Check out the RPF1 thread and you will see some sweet Zs.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To get a set of quality coilovers, you're going to need to upgrade your budget. You're not going to find a GOOD set for under $1200. The BC RS coilover is a decent set for track, but with everything else you're doing with the car and the supporting mods you have, I still wouldn't honestly recommend them. If you're staying functional and just want to alleviate gap and add some handling KW is the way to go in that department.

Supporting mods, such as camber arms and toe arms are ALWAYS a great idea. Whether or not they're 100% neccessary is definitely debatable. I've slammed cars without it and seen millimeters of uneven tire wear. On a street car that is driven to and from work/home/shows or cruises from time to time, that's not enough for me to justify it. However, on a track car where I'm going to be going above "safe" speeds and performing maneuvers that I wouldn't do on a road, I think it's crucial to the performance AND safety of both you and the car. All that said, I'm slammed now and even though I don't drive the car MUCH (at all now cuz it's winter), I have rear camber arms.

As for wheels, I agree with the Enkei RPF1's. They're maybe $180-250 more for a set than the Vars. And maybe less if you find them in the for sale section here. If you want the time attack look, powdercoat them black and put a red stripe on them. Easy-peasy. You'll be happier and they hold more value than Vars. I don't think Vars make a bad product. But, you're not far off from a GREAT product.

Doing a low and slow setup on your cars, you can honestly cheap out a bit and not have much to worry about. but, your car is going to see some (seemingly) substantial track time. Don't skimp on safety and qaulity man. It ain't worth it.

edit: when you DO hit the track, if you want to keep cost down, there's a few things you can do. 1) do as much of the work yourself as you can 2) talk to some of the old timers that have been doing this for a while. They're used to MAKING alternatives or know a good fab guy that help out because there was a time when you couldn't just add parts to a cart and click checkout and have everything yhou need to turn a street car into a track beast. That's what I've done in the past.

Last edited by driftsucky; 12-11-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by driftsucky
To get a set of quality coilovers, you're going to need to upgrade your budget. You're not going to find a GOOD set for under $1200. The BC RS coilover is a decent set for track, but with everything else you're doing with the car and the supporting mods you have, I still wouldn't honestly recommend them. If you're staying functional and just want to alleviate gap and add some handling KW is the way to go in that department.
Definitely recommend KWs. Great coilovers for the price!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

Originally Posted by driftsucky
edit: when you DO hit the track, if you want to keep cost down, there's a few things you can do. 1) do as much of the work yourself as you can 2) talk to some of the old timers that have been doing this for a while. They're used to MAKING alternatives or know a good fab guy that help out because there was a time when you couldn't just add parts to a cart and click checkout and have everything yhou need to turn a street car into a track beast. That's what I've done in the past.
Just to add to this......

Go look up some of Terra's and Jason's posts. If you want to get super technical and keep costs down, go look around at GSedan35's post. You can never be too informed.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
ModBargains
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you do track/autocross your car. You should definitely look into KW coilovers. They design and valve all the suspension dampers to each individual model. They are also the OEM Suspension for the fastest production car currently to run around Nurburgring- The Doge Viper ACR 10

If you're looking for camber/toe arm . Look into the cusco products. They are one of the best company for those parts.

Last edited by ModBargains; 12-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.