Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Are OEM Brembos really that much better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM
ChriZTT

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Brakes have not really changed much in our budget for a lot of years, and it has already happened.
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what budget you are referring to, or what you mean to say by "it has already happend". Could you elaborate?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by stogey420time
I recently upgraded to brembos and I can not feel any difference from stock... stopping power wise. I mainly did it for looks, really didnt care for the extra stopping power. Guess I expected it from the upgrade. I'm running hawks pad with techna brake lines.
Riding around on the street you will be hard pressed to really fell a big difference from stock standards to stock brembos. Now, if you went from stock standards to upgraded OEM bremos (i.e. SS lines/slotted rotors/upgraded pads) you would be able to tell on the street. Brembos shine under heavier abuse settings like on a track. Believe me, take your standard oem brakes on a single lap at barber and you'll have fade like no other
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by ChriZTT
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what budget you are referring to, or what you mean to say by "it has already happend". Could you elaborate?
Our budget does not equal carbon brakes. There is no difference is Brembo between 03 to 08 because there is nothing really to do. Yes they could have upped the rotor size, but no need unless on a full race car , 2 piece rotors would drive the price up a lot and really do nothing for most people.

Already happened is to the track savvy owners chipping in.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
RCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless youre in it for tracking your car, brembos wont be any better performance wise. Nor would a "real" bbk either. For a street driven vehicle it does nothing but help it look nice.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM
ChriZTT

Our budget does not equal carbon brakes. There is no difference is Brembo between 03 to 08 because there is nothing really to do. Yes they could have upped the rotor size, but no need unless on a full race car , 2 piece rotors would drive the price up a lot and really do nothing for most people.

Fantastic. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

I've thanked my brembos a couple of times on the street as well, honestly. Who's to say regular brakes wouldn't have saved me, but the initial bite of the brembos give me some comfort in knowing I can stop and not have to possibly swerve into another lane/off the road. All-in-all, if you've got the cash and run across a used OEM Brembo set, I say go for it. However, that cash can be spent in other areas if you're fine with your current braking performance.

Best of luck
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
ChriZTT

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I've thanked my brembos a couple of times on the street as well, honestly. Who's to say regular brakes wouldn't have saved me, but the initial bite of the brembos give me some comfort in knowing I can stop and not have to possibly swerve into another lane/off the road. All-in-all, if you've got the cash and run across a used OEM Brembo set, I say go for it. However, that cash can be spent in other areas if you're fine with your current braking performance.

Best of luck
Thanks! I think money spent on upgrading the brakes is money well spent.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My Brembos with slotted StopTech rotors, StopTech pads, StopTech Lines, and Motul fluid are a big difference over my 2004's small rotors and calipers in both feel and appearance

I should have upgraded a long time ago, definitely one of my favorite mods along with my upgraded headlights
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've not experienced many panic stops since installing OEM Brembos a few years ago. Moreover, I am not sure how much my stopping distances improved, but the pedal feel is so much better with Brembos. Control is so much more linear and moderated. For example, if one presses lightly on the pedal, the same is imparted to braking. The harder one presses translates perfectly to braking. There is no initial grab and followed by fade, the Brembos have the perfect feel. I am using ceramic pads to minimize brake dust, but the I am really impressed at rotor wear. Both front a rear rotors are mirror smooth with no ridges. By contrast, the non-Brembos seem to wear much faster and uneven.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
kno

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Waizzz
My Brembos with slotted StopTech rotors, StopTech pads, StopTech Lines, and Motul fluid are a big difference over my 2004's small rotors and calipers in both feel and appearance

I should have upgraded a long time ago, definitely one of my favorite mods along with my upgraded headlights
What type of pads are you using waizz, street or racing ss pads? How many miles have you put on them? And how bad are they on brake dust?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
J.$

I'm with everyone else here that did the swap. I upgraded my 08 base model brakes to Brembos and saw no difference on the street in terms of braking power. I didn't expect to notice anything though, I did it only for the looks.

I've got Brembos on all 4 corners, drilled/slotted rotors, StopTech pads, and Z1 Premium stainless steel lines.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about a Brembo upgrade to my '08 base, and have looked at a few threads detailing the installation process. The only thing which concerns me is the modification of the shields behind the brake rotors, especially on the rear. Cutting up the shields with a Dremel or tin snips isn't something I'm apt to do, basically because it will look like a hack job, even though I'm the only one who will ever see it. To do the job "right", what extra work is necessary? Is it removal hubs/bearings which will allow replacement of the proper Brembo type shields?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kno
What type of pads are you using waizz, street or racing ss pads? How many miles have you put on them? And how bad are they on brake dust?
Street pads for about 6k miles, horrendous on dust but great bite
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by K51
I've been thinking about a Brembo upgrade to my '08 base, and have looked at a few threads detailing the installation process. The only thing which concerns me is the modification of the shields behind the brake rotors, especially on the rear. Cutting up the shields with a Dremel or tin snips isn't something I'm apt to do, basically because it will look like a hack job, even though I'm the only one who will ever see it. To do the job "right", what extra work is necessary? Is it removal hubs/bearings which will allow replacement of the proper Brembo type shields?
Dust shields are around $20 each. Fronts are simple to install, rears take a little more.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
kickstan

I'm jealous of your prices in the US, my 08 z - GT was quoted at the dealer for replacement rotors and pads for my Brembos $4,000.... 2200 for the fronts and 1800 rears, God forbid I should ever have to replace the calipers....LOL!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
kno

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

got mine for around 750$
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by kickstan
I'm jealous of your prices in the US, my 08 z - GT was quoted at the dealer for replacement rotors and pads for my Brembos $4,000.... 2200 for the fronts and 1800 rears, God forbid I should ever have to replace the calipers....LOL!
Front and rear rotors and pads can easily be done yourself at home for around $350
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you track much, another big advantage for the Brembo's is that it is very easy to swap pads in/out.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Edmonton 350z

Can you use the same rotors on a swap from 03 to 07 calipers, or do you have to replace everything. Something else to think about when upgrading.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Edmonton 350z
Can you use the same rotors on a swap from 03 to 07 calipers, or do you have to replace everything. Something else to think about when upgrading.
Rotors need to be changed, front calipers and caliper brackets needs to be changed, rear calipers do not need to be changed, just the bracket swapped out.

Quick Reply: Are OEM Brembos really that much better?