Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

koni truechoice issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
CptWiggles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default koni truechoice issue

So I just completed installation of my phase 2 setup and with what I am petty damn sure is the lowest setting my car is now raised about 2 inches front and back from stock. Wtf. I'm slightly paniced and very frustrated and annoyed. Anyone have any experience with true choice?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Post pics, and i mean of how the shocks and springs are situated.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
CptWiggles

To give an update, from what I gather, Hypercoil discontinued the spring that Truechoice used for their Phase 2 option. Because of this I was sent 10 inch 400 lb springs seemingly on a whim. When I brought up the issue I had to Truechoice they let me know that they were going to advance ship me 8 inch 400 lb rear springs and new dampers with the perch cut at a lower height. So far I've only installed the new rear springs and it has indeed dropped the ride nicely and the ride feels much smoother. It's still kind of questionable in my mind but they at least seemed to handle the issue reasonably well.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
CRBWS6

So is the Phase 2 a combined spring/shock in the rear (i.e. not separate like OEM)?

Last edited by CRBWS6; 06-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
CptWiggles

No, it is separate just like OEM. It's a nice design from the factory really.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Cpt

Glad you got that sorted.
What rate did you go with in the front?
Did you get the koni's revalved?

pp
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
CptWiggles

They are revalved. 475 front, 400 rear
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CptWiggles
They are revalved. 475 front, 400 rear
post a review once you put it through the paces.

while phase II is mentioned many times on this forum, i've yet to see a quality review on them. I must admit I didn't look that hard though.

after your pm, i received one other pm asking my opinion on these when i first researched them. You're experience with them will help other's I'm sure.

pp
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 PM
CptWiggles

Well I'm not much for long write ups, but I will hit a few key points so far. I did quite a bit of research for various suspensions and decided I wanted to go with a coilover setup for the height and stiffness adjustment because I not only drive my car year round, but I also track, autox, and drift with it. I knew my budget, around 2k, which limits me to a single adjustment twin tube setup. From my experience I've found that most of the aftermarket suspension companies offer the world and don't really deliver, you just end up with an extremely harsh ride. As far as budget suspension companies are concerned, the ones that I trust from a lot of research and some actual experience are Koni and Bilstein. So I spoke with Truechoice and decided on the Phase II setup which typically comes with single adjustable Koni shocks and 550lb front and 425lb rear Hyperco springs. I let them know what I was going to use the car for and they decided to lower the spring rate to 475 front and 400 rear. Now on to the ride.

With everything installed, on the street it rides unbelievably nicely. I'm not an old man or anything, I can deal with a harsh ride, but man is it a pain in the *** to do so. You have to dodge every imperfection in the road all the time and when you hit a pothole, because you inevitably will, it hurts you inside. But with this setup at full soft it feels like I have complete control of the car, I've only messed around on the street a bit, but I can certainly push the car with every bit of confidence. When I still had the stock suspension in, I honestly never wanted to push the car, because it felt so progressive, I would go into a turn and the car would begin to learn, and then if I pushed a bit more it would lean even more and throw the cars balance all out of whack. I only tried pushing the car on stock suspension a couple of times, but that was enough for me. But anyway, I no longer feel like that at all, I can cruise perfectly comfortably on just about any road within reason, and when I want to drive more spiritedly I know I am set up to do so.

Now, I've only driven the car at full soft so far, and I already believe that it was money well spent, so when I get to an event and play with the stiffness I have no doubt that I will be very pleased. The only slight issue that I've found so far is that when going over bumps at moderate speed the rear of the car likes to step to the side slightly, I will work on this though.

I didn't really put a whole lot of time into this review, so forgive me.