Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

AST True Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

This is probably the most technical thread i have seen on here in a long time.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Try driving the car with the rear bar disconnected. It should help a lot
Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cujo159
Yup figured that out just after posting lol. Thanks bud.

Thanks bud. I knew it was a mass/distance unit of measure but I couldn't get a straight answer of the specific units that are used as standard to do my own conversion.

I'm using the car for double duty DD/track & autox but I enjoy precision driving on a daily basis

The wear and tear I'm worried about is with the shock tower mount locations taking the full weight of the car as opposed to splitting the duty between the shock and spring location. Unfortunately I don't have any OEM hardware to switch back to.

Yea I read through that. Being new to suspension theory it was a little over my head but I'm reading through it again to get a better grasp over it. But in short I know it basically states not to buy Fortune auto lol. Hence why I contacted AST for the possible True Coilover purchase.

Thanks terrasmak. Have you seen any metal fatigue at your mount locations in the rear with your true coilover set up? I assume you don't have any extra bracing inside or outside the car at the shock tower locations to mitigate this (yet?).

The tires I'm running are RE11's so they aren't too sticky, but the reviews that they've receive I feel like they should stick a lot better than they have been. The whole set up is definitely not idea for rain either.

Why is the T2 set up 690lbs front and rear? Did they purposely pair very stiff springs in the rear with softer effective front rates (moment reference effectively dividing the front rate by 2) or does the oem rear geometry in the rear cut the effective rate in half as well?
Honestly bro you should have any problems with the shock mount, i havent seen one case with a failed shock mount as a result of a coilover, if anything the coilover damper is usually what i see fail first, because most people on the forum buy coilovers for looks and that ish is cheaply made. Gsedan35's post i gave to you above was merely to explain how true coilover spring rates work for the rear and how to match them to the front spring rates.

Fortune Auto is one of the few companies i would trust at the price range they are, only reason being they let you cutom build your coilovers and spring rates and they give you a shock dyno with your purchase and after every rebuild.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Do this since you have the Cusco and see what happens like Terra said, if your car handles better without it, your prolly gonna have to get a softer spring rate in the rear or a softer sway bar, or a combo of both.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:08 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by GreyZ

Dont you know this the technical forum? lol cant come in here with BS, the flaming is much more severe.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
stuartc323

I run a 700 front and 336 rear , works great with 285/35 RS3 front and rear. The combo you have would probably be great for an NT01 combo with 275/35 front and rear.

Terra you on the cooper RS3s? or the hankook RS3s?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
ProPartsUSA
Vendor - Former Vendor

Have you tried to measure static ride height and taken out the springs, disconnect the swaybars and just go through the range of travel to make sure you aren't engaging bumpstops prematurely or already on the bumpstops?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by ProPartsUSA
Have you tried to measure static ride height and taken out the springs, disconnect the swaybars and just go through the range of travel to make sure you aren't engaging bumpstops prematurely or already on the bumpstops?

I dont think he has the coilovers yet, He stated that he had Stance GR+ coilovers right now and he was trying to upgrade to ASTs. But you definitely gave me an idea for setting up my shocks, I would have never thought to take the springs out and adjust them purely off static travel.

For thr process of doing this, do i just remove the springs and swaybars and push on the hood or something to force the shocks down or how should i do this? ive mostly just adjusted my shocks and springs by car feel.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
ProPartsUSA
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stuartc323
I dont think he has the coilovers yet, He stated that he had Stance GR+ coilovers right now and he was trying to upgrade to ASTs. But you definitely gave me an idea for setting up my shocks, I would have never thought to take the springs out and adjust them purely off static travel.

For thr process of doing this, do i just remove the springs and swaybars and push on the hood or something to force the shocks down or how should i do this? ive mostly just adjusted my shocks and springs by car feel.
The purpose of this exercise is to find out the limitations of your suspension, whether it is bumpstops contacing prematurely, riding on bumpstops or control arms hitting the chassis and etc. The forces you would be able to produce with your hands wouldn't be close to what the car is seeing unfortunately.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 PM
stuartc323

The purpose of this exercise is to find out the limitations of your suspension, whether it is bumpstops contacing prematurely, riding on bumpstops or control arms hitting the chassis and etc. The forces you would be able to produce with your hands wouldn't be close to what the car is seeing unfortunately.

Ok so i would basically just take everything off and than drive it to see if i have that much travel to hit the bumpstops and camber arms?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM
ProPartsUSA
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ok so i would basically just take everything off and than drive it to see if i have that much travel to hit the bumpstops and camber arms?

Sorry, no, you would put it all on jackstands, uninstall just the springs and leave the suspension still bolted in, disconnect the swaybars and jack up the suspension while it is on jackstands.

Last edited by ProPartsUSA; 06-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
stuartc323

Sorry, no, you would put it all on jackstands, uninstall just the springs and leave the suspension still bolted in, disconnect the swaybars and jack up the suspension while it is on jackstands.

Ok cool, might be a little bit remedial, but do i jack the bottom of the shock? or how do i jack up the suspension properly to not damage anything?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
ProPartsUSA
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ok cool, might be a little bit remedial, but do i jack the bottom of the shock? or how do i jack up the suspension properly to not damage anything?
You could use the rotor as a jack point.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM
stuartc323

You could use the rotor as a jack point.
awesome thank you so much, I am always looking for new ways to adjust or test things on this car
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Put the jack under the tire, you want to check the function suspension travel. My car is to for max travel without the tires rubbing the top of the wheel well. I have covered this many times in this section.

I am in process of reducing my front travel slightly, using a progressive bump stop , I want to keep the splitter off the ground. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedt...FUThQgodxicAcQ

Terra you on the cooper RS3s? or the hankook RS3s?
Hankook RS3 , 285/35-18 front and rear. LOL i didn't even know Cooper made a tire called RS3.

Last edited by terrasmak; 06-06-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Cujo159

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I'll be trying this just as soon as I have free time to get under my car lol

Weird thing is, even with the good reviews of the re11 tire, it doesn't hook up all that well from a stop or slight roll. My rear will wiggle back and forth some. and I'm not even dumping the clutch.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Cujo159

Honestly bro you should have any problems with the shock mount, i havent seen one case with a failed shock mount as a result of a coilover, if anything the coilover damper is usually what i see fail first, because most people on the forum buy coilovers for looks and that ish is cheaply made. Gsedan35's post i gave to you above was merely to explain how true coilover spring rates work for the rear and how to match them to the front spring rates.

Fortune Auto is one of the few companies i would trust at the price range they are, only reason being they let you cutom build your coilovers and spring rates and they give you a shock dyno with your purchase and after every rebuild.

Do this since you have the Cusco and see what happens like Terra said, if your car handles better without it, your prolly gonna have to get a softer spring rate in the rear or a softer sway bar, or a combo of both.
Well that's good to know. I'm overly cautious so I don't want to cause any issues if I can avoid them. talking with ast however I learned that the we have shocks, not struts. The difference being shocks are not a structural member that bares 3 axis of load, while a strut does. Shocks only take the load linearly through the centerline axis.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Cujo159

Not as of yet no but thank you for the suggestion. I'll try this as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good read
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Cujo159

Originally Posted by GreyZ
Originally Posted by mw9
Good read
This is what I see as the purpose of forums. Come together and share knowledge and experiences for the betterment of racing and shinanigans.

I hate those "what's the best" and "look at how low I am":: threads (to name a few). If it doesn't net me faster lap times, better handling, or a general more enjoyable driving experience I'm not interested. ::
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Cujo159

FYI I'm changing the thread title to better reflect our discussion.

Quick Reply: AST True Coilovers