Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bc vs D2 Coilovers opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
l2frankie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bc vs D2 Coilovers opinion

i have been planning on dropping my car with bc coilovers for awhile now with all the good stuff people say about it for a daily basis and i wont be doing any tracking either maybe in a few months but barly. the problem is the guy at the store said that D2 coilovers were more designed to the 350z, that it makes it ride more like a cadillac with excellent handling.

Im going for
1.2 front 1.5 back drop
id like the stiff handling but not if its going to be a bumpy ride
not tracking my car
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Same junk, different label. Both are crap.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like my cheap crap Bc coils. Ride really nice on soft and stiff as a skateboard on full hard.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There isn't a difference in feel between the two. I started with BCR on my G35. There was a knock I couldn't get rid of and ended up snagging some D2's. Love'em both. I haven't noticed ANY difference in the two...so what Terrasmack said may be partially true. That said, I know he only likes track oriented suspension adjustments so I wouldn't expect an endorsement on them. lol

My car is slammed...really slammed. I think I have like a 4(ish)inch drop. I drift my car on occasion (at a track) and haven't run into any issues. Still wouldn't go with these IF my main concern was performance. But, for slamming, riding slow, a bit of sliding, and ruining sports cars, both of these are teh bees knees.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by driftsucky
There isn't a difference in feel between the two. I started with BCR on my G35. There was a knock I couldn't get rid of and ended up snagging some D2's. Love'em both. I haven't noticed ANY difference in the two...so what Terrasmack said may be partially true. That said, I know he only likes track oriented suspension adjustments so I wouldn't expect an endorsement on them. lol

My car is slammed...really slammed. I think I have like a 4(ish)inch drop. I drift my car on occasion (at a track) and haven't run into any issues. Still wouldn't go with these IF my main concern was performance. But, for slamming, riding slow, a bit of sliding, and ruining sports cars, both of these are teh bees knees.

Well its not just about track oriented suspensions, its more of the performance value of the dampers your getting in those cheap coilovers, You may think it has excellent handling skills because you perceive "stiff handling" as a sign of a sport or race tuned suspension when truely you have either overdamped shocks with low spring rates or vice versa. OP is saying he wants a drop but he wants performance just in case of the track and the two dont go together unless you have money for better parts.

My opinion OP, get the Tokico D-spec spring set, You can adjust the dampers somewhat, You get a 1 in drop and the springs are matched to the damper. you get a good blend of performance and a drop, just in case you dont go to the track, you still have a car that can perform and have your drop.

Last edited by stuartc323; 06-18-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM
revolvedZ

d2 is the exact same as k-sport, just different color. i have k-sport slide kontrols and have no complaints, and great for price.if i was legit racing, my answer may be different
Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
l2frankie

My shocks are blown so I would rather drop a about a grand for coilovers. I know that's for cheap quality coilovers. Since I'm not racing my car i want to make the interior and exterior nice. I already have my borla exhaust, intake and soon to come hfc followed by a tune up.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by l2frankie
My shocks are blown so I would rather drop a about a grand for coilovers. I know that's for cheap quality coilovers. Since I'm not racing my car i want to make the interior and exterior nice. I already have my borla exhaust, intake and soon to come hfc followed by a tune up.
So what you're saying, you would rather have some cheap crap coilovers so you can brag for rice points cause you have coilovers than buy a quality set of dampers with drop springs that will actually be a bit cheaper.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tein Street Basis go for about the same price as the BC / D2 but without the damper adjusters. Go with these, OP.

Crappy ride doesn't always mean "performance".
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM
l2frankie

Well no one talks bad about bc coilovers so yes is rather buy "crappy quality" coilovers that I don't see any complaints . Then spend an arm and a leg for suspension seeing as I'm not tracking, road courses. I'm only using it for a daily and Im satisfied with the performance I have. So now id like my car nicer. I don't think I'm ricing it out since everyone compliments my car.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by l2frankie
Well no one talks bad about bc coilovers so yes is rather buy "crappy quality" coilovers that I don't see any complaints . Then spend an arm and a leg for suspension seeing as I'm not tracking, road courses. I'm only using it for a daily and Im satisfied with the performance I have. So now id like my car nicer. I don't think I'm ricing it out since everyone compliments my car.
Only the clueless say they are good. They are junk, just get some D-Specs and a set of springs. Much higher quality setup, no no rice points for coilovers
Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM
stuartc323

Truth ^

or grab some koni yellows and springs, These setups would give you a better damper and spring setup than any coilover at 1k. Your gonna **** out on performance if you cheap out on coilovers.

I only use dampers and springs for the track until i am ready to buy some coilovers.

If you want to really buy some coilovers go for some tanabe sustec pro s-0c. other than that i wouldnt put nothing at that range on my car.

Last edited by stuartc323; 06-19-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Only all the people who are satisfied with them say they are good. They are junk, just get some D-Specs and a set of springs. Much higher quality setup, no no rice points for coilovers
fixed.

OP, if you get coilovers that aren't expensive or if you don't get a strut and spring setup that doesn't get you unfunctionally low, then someone will say it's junk. If it's not made by Germans, someone will say it's junk. If it's not geared toward track performance, regardless if you're never going to the track or not, people will say it's junk. You just have to decide if you're ok with people calling your suspension junk. If you're not, get a setup that you're not going to use. If so, get junk.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Gotta pay to play. Don't get mad when your "junk that all the people are satisfied with" fails on you. It may fail on a track, or it may fail after 50k miles. Either way you'll pay to fix it. A quality coilover that has a lifetime warranty is well worth it.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have BCs on my caliber and they handle great.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by driftsucky
fixed.

OP, if you get coilovers that aren't expensive or if you don't get a strut and spring setup that doesn't get you unfunctionally low, then someone will say it's junk. If it's not made by Germans, someone will say it's junk. If it's not geared toward track performance, regardless if you're never going to the track or not, people will say it's junk. You just have to decide if you're ok with people calling your suspension junk. If you're not, get a setup that you're not going to use. If so, get junk.

Umm basically any coilover under 1k is shiit. They are mostly underdampened and the spring rates are way over giving the illusion of "great handling". If OP is lookg for performance, get a shock and spring setup, the car will perform way better than any cheap coilover. If OP is willing to spend about 1500 to 2k he can find some very good kits but other than that, No.

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Gotta pay to play. Don't get mad when your "junk that all the people are satisfied with" fails on you. It may fail on a track, or it may fail after 50k miles. Either way you'll pay to fix it. A quality coilover that has a lifetime warranty is well worth it.
QFT ^

Originally Posted by kacz07
I have BCs on my caliber and they handle great.

do you track the car or DD? ^
Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Only German shocks are good? Ohlins is Sweedish, Moton and JRZ are Dutch, Penske and MCS are from 'murica, and dynamic are Canadian.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:20 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Only German shocks are good? Ohlins is Sweedish, Moton and JRZ are Dutch, Penske and MCS are from 'murica, and dynamic are Canadian.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Umm basically any coilover under 1k is shiit. They are mostly underdampened and the spring rates are way over giving the illusion of "great handling". If OP is lookg for performance, get a shock and spring setup, the car will perform way better than any cheap coilover. If OP is willing to spend about 1500 to 2k he can find some very good kits but other than that, No.

QFT ^

do you track the car or DD? ^
DD. It's definitely planted and performs well, but very comfortable. I drive about 750 miles a week. I watch the dampening compared to high end cars ahead of me going over bumps and see WRX and Z *** ends wiggle all over. I would feel comfortable taking it to the track as well, though I have not as of yet. High speed driving is very stable.

I also have rear sways, camber arms, subframe brace, bushings, motor mounts,front strut tower brace that were installed before. Coils definitely brought everything together.

Last edited by kacz07; 06-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by kacz07
DD. It's definitely planted and performs well, but very comfortable. I drive about 750 miles a week. I watch the dampening compared to high end cars ahead of me when going over bumps and have watch WRX and Z *** ends wiggle all over. I would feel comfortable taking it to the track as well, though I have not as of yet. High speed driving is very stable.

I also have rear sways, camber arms, subframe brace, bushings, motor mounts,front strut tower brace that were installed before. Coils definitely brought everything together.

Funny i was just about to ask what other suspension mods you had haha, but yesh that would compliment everything if it fits right into your setup, but alone it wont be a great ride at all.

Quick Reply: Bc vs D2 Coilovers opinion