Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question for Suspension guru's

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM
jdmeg21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Suspension guru's

I recently installed my BC coilovers and adjusted the front to the height I wanted, no problem. Now when adjusting the back I know that first you adjust the shock height then go back and adjust rebound on the spring. But I've noticed the back was sitting about a quarter inch lower then I wanted.

So what I'm wondering is, if I adjust just the rebound spring a little to make the rebound stiffer will that in turn raise the car as well since it will be pushing up on the car more. Right now I'm sitting close to 0 rebound (I tightened it by hand till I could no longer move the ring then gave it a quarter turn with the wrench).

Or do I have to start from scratch. and adjust shock height then go back and adjust rebound. Right now the car is pretty smooth on the road and don't think I would mind a little more stiffness in the back, but if this is gonna make the ride unbareable then I will do both adjustments.

Last edited by jdmeg21; 10-18-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: messed up title
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
shadow191

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say rebound, are you referring to preload? That's what you're adjusting when you turn the spring collar and shock. Basically, set the spring where you want the ride height to be. Then adjust the shock 8mm shorter than that. That is going to preload the spring. So if you raise the car a quarter inch but don't adjust the shock, nothing will happen to your ride, you will just have a little more preload.

And increasing preload on it does not increase the stiffness of the spring. BC runs a linear spring, so preloading it does not change the spring rate. All preload does is basically keep the spring from popping out on full extension and prevents some rattling.

Rebound would actually be damping adjustment on the shock. And BC does not have separate rebound/compression adjustments. So turning the **** will increase both compression and rebound damping.