travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
You won against a guy. So either...
a) your guy eats like a squirrel
OR
b) you're a fatty. Maybe that's why you were scraping in the first place... :dunno
:
i laughed so hard that people a couple cubes away looked over at me
Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeko94
Alignment issues. causing tires to wear faster.-orrrrrrrrrr get your car aligned. lol
More stress on the suspension components which may lead to failure
Exhaust leaks/repairs-our exhaust (stock exhaust anyway) sits up pretty well. You have to be EXTREMELY low for that to be any real issue.
Able to destroy your oil pan-Our oil pans are pretty well protected. To actually destroy or even crack your oil pan, you have to be doing something fairly ignorant or extremely dangerous. Just being low won't put you in any danger of damaging that.

Just a well of problems if you ask me
If you're scrapping on springs, either you live on a BMX track from the 80's, or your struts are broken. There are some springs that will get you low, but not low enough to continually scrape frame. Possibly a couple of lip infractions, but that's about it.

Don't ASSUME coilovers will offer better handling. It may FEEL better because it's lower, but most of the coilovers on the market now days are meant to get you low and anything else is just a byproduct. In a nutshell, you get beyond a point a geometrical usability (i.e. too low) and it doesn't assist in handling unless you have some supporting mods.

If you don't plan on doing much more than cruising and such, then coilovers are your best bet. Learn about them though and know what you're getting yourself into. A spring a strut combo is, for handling purposes, a better overall way to go. However, if you really aren't taking your car to a track, I honestly feel that what you'd get into is overkill. At least to do it right. Someone'll say you can get a gold plated struts and diamond encrusted unicorn springs for about $800, and handle like the gods (they always do), but I've yet to see anyone do any REAL performance package for that kinda money.

So, cruiser=coilovers. Something more=something more.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Neeko94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by driftsucky
If you're scrapping on springs, either you live on a BMX track from the 80's, or your struts are broken. There are some springs that will get you low, but not low enough to continually scrape frame. Possibly a couple of lip infractions, but that's about it.

Don't ASSUME coilovers will offer better handling. It may FEEL better because it's lower, but most of the coilovers on the market now days are meant to get you low and anything else is just a byproduct. In a nutshell, you get beyond a point a geometrical usability (i.e. too low) and it doesn't assist in handling unless you have some supporting mods.

If you don't plan on doing much more than cruising and such, then coilovers are your best bet. Learn about them though and know what you're getting yourself into. A spring a strut combo is, for handling purposes, a better overall way to go. However, if you really aren't taking your car to a track, I honestly feel that what you'd get into is overkill. At least to do it right. Someone'll say you can get a gold plated struts and diamond encrusted unicorn springs for about $800, and handle like the gods (they always do), but I've yet to see anyone do any REAL performance package for that kinda money.

I feel that sway bars play just as an important role when it comes to suspension as well.
Everyone (like you said) says they handle better with their new coilovers....mmmmm noo not necessarily hah.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:24 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by driftsucky

Even for a cruiser a shock/spring combo will be better if you are happy with the ride height of the springs you select. Then you don't have to worry about a botched coilover install ( happens all the time) , better dampers , potentially a better ride.

Swaybars are a piece of the puzzle, very easy to screw up handling with them too. You hear "full stiff" and it handles like a race car. Lol , idiots.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Neeko94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Swaybars are a piece of the puzzle, very easy to screw up handling with them too. You hear "full stiff" and it handles like a race car. Lol , idiots.
HAHAH you have no idea how funny it was trying to convince some other car enthusiast friends of mine about that!!!
I just hope I dont brake my endlinks when it comes time to install mine
Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Even for a cruiser a shock/spring combo will be better if you are happy with the ride height of the springs you select. Then you don't have to worry about a botched coilover install ( happens all the time) , better dampers , potentially a better ride...
That's true. But, if you decide to change something you have to start all over again. For instance, I've changed my ride height, just this year, 4 or 5 times. I've gone ridiculously low to where my car was almost (and with certain wheel combinations, completely) undriveable. I've adjusted my front and rear a couple of times to accommodate different wheel setups. Even now, my car is going up a bit more. Ultimately, I'll end up going to a more functional suspension than what I'm running, but for pure adjust ability, I'm in love with coilovers. And when I do upgrade, it'll probably be coils again. Only way I see that changing is if I get a dedicated track car that I never plan on making road legal.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
You won against a guy. So either...
a) your guy eats like a squirrel
OR
b) you're a fatty. Maybe that's why you were scraping in the first place...
Originally Posted by pyshin
TheBlackWidow