Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Specs AFTER alignment with Hunter Equipment, passenger side still not in.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Specs AFTER alignment with Hunter Equipment, passenger side still not in.

I just got my car back with new tires on, and it aligned by a 350z enthusiast and master mechanic on Hunter Equipment (he said the specs matched the Nissan TSB's).

Here are the results from the alignment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111739693@N04/11470309855/

He said that the passenger side wouldn't go 100% into alignment, as is evident by the spec sheets. The "actual" is the after.. and range is self explanatory.

He said the Passenger REAR was the worst. Said it was quite a few degree's out.

He said that he could get them back into alignment, but I would need to get a CAMBER/TOE adjustment kit -- He said he could get it OEM, and with labor it would be $200 something installed. I have lifetime alignment there,.. So what do you guys think about the alignment results. Should I go with the kit he suggested,.. as I don't want these brand spanking new tires to wear unevenly.

If you are wondering why the passenger side won't align,.. when I was looking over the car I noticed two curb rash gashes on the wheels and tires about 1-2 inches in length. The prev. owner said he did that , he hit a curb and he did it the first day or week he had the car. That is the reason it won't go back on that side to "In-spec" alignment. The Driver side all seemed to go back into alignment just fine.

So, get kit installed for $200 something and get the whole car into factory spec alignment? Or will the car with these out of alignment specs not be a problem ? IE: Will the brand new tires I just had put on wear properly?

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2013, 03:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I really think you have slightly tweaked parts on the pass side. Very easy to do in the rear, just the right tap and...... Then the front, I would look into your LCA bushings and compression arm bushings.

There is no perfect answer to this, could be a bunch of stuff.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I really think you have slightly tweaked parts on the pass side. Very easy to do in the rear, just the right tap and...... Then the front, I would look into your LCA bushings and compression arm bushings.

There is no perfect answer to this, could be a bunch of stuff.
The mechanic is a 350z guy.. runs a 350z enthusiast club. So good to have someone who knows the car.

He said he could get Camber/Toe adjustment kits to get the car back into proper specs. Rather than hunt around for bushings, etc.. Think it wise just to let him order the Adjustment kits and do his thing?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I would order them myself, then let him install them. kinetic front and SPC rears
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Chromatic

I would order them myself, then let him install them. kinetic front and SPC rears

Well ultimately it's ALL Camber, and it's ALL on the right/passenger side of the car.

Rear camber adjustment kits are cheap .. under $100. Front camber kits are not so cheap.

You have links for front adjustment kits that run cheaper than $200?

Also, would having spacers on the rear have anything to do with the problems? The shops won't let me buy equipment and bring it in.. they have to buy it themselves. Is there an "OEM" Front camber adjustment kit that a shop would be likely to buy?

Thanks,

Last edited by Chromatic; 12-20-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:10 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2168 for the front, not much on the market worth a dam till you double the price.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=7197 with toe bolts. You have a local club, should be easy to get the parts installed away from a shop.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes the right rear tire is jacked up. Fix the alignment and you will save money on tires.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:26 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
You have links for front adjustment kits that run cheaper than $200?
Not going to happen. Sure, you can find some no-name brands under $200, but even the well known arms have had their issues. SPC had knocking issues on really low cars, and Kinetix had lubrication/squeaking issues. Both companies have revised their arms. Ichiba is another brand in the price range you'd probably be looking at. Their bushings are garbage and you should probably just avoid them considering they sit in the same price range as the other two.

If you're looking for best bang for your buck for a street car looking to get back in spec, you'd probably want to look at the Kinetix arms. SPC would be the next choice at roughly $100 more.

The rears aren't going to break the piggy bank and you'd be more than fine with something from the likes of SPC.

Either spend the money now or spend the money later. Why blow through brand new tires to save some money short term?

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Also, would having spacers on the rear have anything to do with the problems?
No

Last edited by bender; 12-21-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Chromatic

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2168 for the front, not much on the market worth a dam till you double the price.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=7197 with toe bolts. You have a local club, should be easy to get the parts installed away from a shop.
Thanks for the links.. they will come in handy.

I saw those $268 Kinitex.. I also found the elusive $100 A-Arms without a brand name

I'll probably end up going with Kinitex.. seems that since I'm not lowering, not even trying for performance on the suspension I just want the car into alignment.. that roughly $300 for the front A-Arms shipped.. and then about $70 + shipping.. $100 .. dang that's for 1.. so $200 for rears.

So I'm looking at absolute cheapest for decent mid-range brands $500 for A-arms and rear adjustment kits?

I know I know.. this stuff isn't cheap,.. but you know my position,.. this isn't an aftermarket yay mod.. this is a dangit the car won't align camber on the right.. so now I have to buy aftermarket to get it to do so.

Just sunk a grand in tires and alignment..

What do you figure install by some local shop for the A-Arms and Rear kit would be?

Any possibility I could install this stuff on my own in the driveway? Or are these parts under such load it's dangerous? I don't have an impact wrench,.. would these parts be just uterrly impossible to break the bolts on?

Thanks.. help is much needed.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by davidv
Yes the right rear tire is jacked up. Fix the alignment and you will save money on tires.
Yeah, I know!

Man if the car just would align this money could be going into upgrading the factory stereo.. guess that's out of the question now.

Pricing it.. the cheapest I'm getting out with respectable Kinetix A-Arms, and SPC Rear Camber adjustments is $500 shipped or so.

I Just called Firestone,.. talked to the mechanic that worked on my car.

It was a touchy subject cause it's dealing with aftermarket parts, they don't / aren't allowed for "Safety/liability" reasons to use anything that THEY don't order oem.

Mike said,.. he'd get the adjustable front control arms (I assume these A-Arms are what we're dealing with).

Let's remember here -- The front camber is off on the negative by 1.2 degree's. So these arms are gonna need to move at least 1.2 MORE degree's from the exact location they are in now. Which I think those Kinetix A-Arms:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2168

Will do.. they say adjustable 1.5 degree's either way. Last thing I want to do is get some expensive (to me) aftermarket adjustable parts on, and it STILL not go into alignment.

The rears firestone can order OEM.. or I can order the SPC Rear Camber Arms ($79 a piece) so $160 + shipping:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=7197

Firestones OEM rear kits are 94$, so I think the SPC rear camber arms are the way to go? The SPC are as good as OEM right?

Long story short -- I just called about half a dozen shops around town.

Installation for the Front upper A-Arms, and Rear arms is $480 -- wow!

So, total it's going to be right around $980 -- Throw in tax and it's gonna be $1050 or so all said and done.

*** I also talked to a guy who said I could bring it to a frame shop and they could move it back into alignment with the factory parts on it. That sound right to you guys? I'm not after performance parts.. it's just necessary cause the performance aftermarket arms are required to allow adjustment. BUT, if a frame shop can move it a few degrees to put it back into alignment.. I'm sure that would be much less than the $1,050 for the front arms and rear arms + labor costs.

Any reason I shouldn't go just let a good frame shop use their equipment to fix it?

Which route I should take?

Last edited by Chromatic; 12-21-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Terrasmak, do you run the Kinetix front UCAs? Can you confirm they do not hit the body of the car under the fender like my old SPC UCAs did?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Chromatic

Talked to 7 shops locally today. Pep boys wanted $480 to install the A-arms and the two rear camber bars. I was like ok , bye. That's insane. I've looked at a few DIY threads on people installing this exact stuff on the 350.. and it's a 2-3 hour job at MOST with a master mechanic on a rack with the right impact/tools. These pieces literally come out and you swap in. It's a little tricky with bolt lengths to get them out without taking other things off.. but it's not a $480 labor job.

Got a guy who said he does $90 an hour... and he spent 20 mins on the phone with me.. real knowledgeable and nice.. I figure he will do 3 hours tops on it.. $270 is much more fair than 500 bucks to install well.. $500 worth of equip.

Anyhow.. I'll link it again:

I'm going with the Kinetix Adjustable A-Arms front (set of two):
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2168

And the SPC Rear Camber Arms (Set of two):
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=7197

Both brands seem to be "mid quality" parts.

You guys think I'm safe to go ahead and order ? I know buying $750-$1000 A-arms and such would be better,.. but guys I just don't have the funds to do it.. These Kinetex A-Arms and SPC Rear camber arms are not absolute crap are they? They'll do the job as well as factory (which is all I'm after).. ya?

Just checking in with you people before I hit the order button.. cause this stuff is gonna take 5-6 days to arrive due to where it's coming from.

Last edited by Chromatic; 12-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Nope. Kinetix and SPC will be fine for street use. Installing the front arms is a piece of cake. I haven't done rear arms yet though.. I can't imagine it being harder than the fronts. You should do it yourself and save the $300
Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Nope. Kinetix and SPC will be fine for street use. Installing the front arms is a piece of cake. I haven't done rear arms yet though.. I can't imagine it being harder than the fronts. You should do it yourself and save the $300
Makes me feel better.. I'm about to order them... just making doubly sure they will get my car back into alignment and aren't crap parts.

I'm strongly thinking about doing it myself -- Problem is I don't know what tools I'll need. I don't have large diameter wrenches and sockets .. Nor do I want to get stuck with the suspension apart ... But saving money is appealing.

My experience working on cars is changing brake pads.. oil changes.. changed a water pump on a mustang once (leaked the first time.. resealed it and it worked fine the second go around). That's about the level I'm at experience wise.

If this is so dang easy.. I dont' get why Pep-boys wants near $500 installation and the guy says it'l be 3-4 hours.. If I had a rack/lift and those tools I WOULD install it myself no question.. and I could get it done in 4 hours with no prior experience on suspension. But.. I just have a toolbox, regular socket set and such..nothing fancy.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
Terrasmak, do you run the Kinetix front UCAs? Can you confirm they do not hit the body of the car under the fender like my old SPC UCAs did?
I have installed both arms on others cars. The Kinetic is a hell of a lot better design. My car has had Megan front arms ( will not work for the OP, they allow only a hair of positive as they are designed to add negative for track use) and SPL which is overkill for anyone who is not a track junky.

Then to the OP, the front arm install. With basic tools and hardly any mechanical knowledge , it will take you about 1 hour per side. Very easy to do. The rear arms are simple , but the toe bolts are a bit more complex do to the required grinding.