Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Akebono BBK fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Akebono BBK fluid

Hello all. Did some research but was finding different answers all over the place so wanted to make a thread to get some insight.

My wife just bought me the Akebono front BBK for my birthday (first gift as a married couple which is awesome!). I ordered the kit from Z1 and got the stainless steel lines along with 2 bottles of the Motul RBF 660.

My car is a daily and after doing research it seems like the Motul may not be the best way to go with it, since it apparently needs to be changed very frequently since it develops moisture in the system a lot easier or something like that.

Should I just sell the Motul and get the OEM fluid? Or go with something else? I occasionally autocross as well although didn't have time to go this year with all the wedding planning and studying for my CPA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I don't think it would matter, but I got the slotted rotors and the OEM Nissan pads with the kit. Was going to get the Hawk HPS but wanted to try OEM first and go from there.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

First off, consider a DOT 4 brake fluid like ATE Gold 200. It's available/cost effective, absorbs less water and has high wet and dry boiling points.

For autocross OEM pads will be OK, with Hawk HPS only a mild upgrade. Just make sure you properly bed-in the pads before you go to any event.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Looks like many are using ATE Blue or Gold for daily (which apparently is the same exact thing, just different color for draining purposes)

I have also read that Motul is known to absorb much more water than other brands. Would not want that on a daily.

My experience with brakes has been rotors and pads, never calipers or lines. Watched a youtube video by Wilwood on installing their BBK and the guy removed the oem line and immediately installed the new line. Does this mean that I actually do not have to drain the fluid and instead just bleed the system to get the air out and top off with OEM fluid?

Sorry but really not much knowledge with this, and I want to be prepared for the install.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Before you go swapping calipers, you do realize that will move you into a different solo class with much faster cars? As for bleeding calipers, that process can vary- depending on whether you plug the OEM line or replace it. In my experience, replacing the line will result in more fluid being lost and a bigger bleed job. I usually do a full brake fluid flush at that point and make sure I have fresh fluid from stem to stern.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM
SQuaLZ

Unfortunately yes I know I will move into a different class (although maybe I can still pass them off as OEM since they say Nissan lol)

I am going to install the Z1 SS lines. So I guess I might as well do a full flush since the time is perfect to do that anyways.

With the ATE Gold 200, how many miles or how long do you go between changing the fluid? My car has under 50k miles and I have only changed the fluid once (around 35k miles)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

You should have gone RBF600, which has a higher wet boiling point than RBF660. Marginally anyway.

Either way I think the bleed interval discussion with the RBF/hi temp fluids is over-hyped. I have gone 6mos (maybe more, eek) on RBF600 autoxing pretty heavily without issue. Obviously I keep up with it a lot more on track, but there are reports of similar bleed intervals without issue.

Its always a good idea to keep your fluid fresh, and RBF600 would make that more economical. Personally I would just forego the hassle, use the RBF660 now, and worry about it the next time you flush.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I'm using RBF600 with my akebono BBK. I was worried about the frequent change interval but the techs at the shop said unless it's being tracked it's fine going 2 years between changes rather than the often recommend yearly change interval. My car is a weekend toy and only gets about 3,000 miles per year. I had this fluid put in during the summer of 2013 and my brake pedal is still solid as a rock.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 AM
SQuaLZ

So I must have looked at it wrong, but got the delivery yesterday and I actually got Motul RBF600, which seems like the better option.

So I guess I will stay with the RBF600 and flush the system and use that. Are 2 bottles enough?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
So I must have looked at it wrong, but got the delivery yesterday and I actually got Motul RBF600, which seems like the better option.

So I guess I will stay with the RBF600 and flush the system and use that. Are 2 bottles enough?
It should be. Mine took about a bottle and a half if I remember correctly (around 1.5 liters).
Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by Phenom
It should be. Mine took about a bottle and a half if I remember correctly (around 1.5 liters).
Perfect thanks!

Just ordered the Motive power bleeder and another bottle of fluid just in case (it is always better to have too much than not enough). Plus I can keep it for the next time I bleed the system.

I can't wait to install this!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 AM
guitman32

Just a tip, but my advice would be to use the Motive for pressure only...do not fill with brake fluid.

You will still have to remove and fill the reservoir manually, but it will cut down on clean time (if you want the hoses on the Motive to last, you need to clean every time with denatured alcohol - and even then they will wear), and prevent the horror situation of a line popping off the bleeder and spraying brake fluid everywhere, including your eyes.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:41 PM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by guitman32
Just a tip, but my advice would be to use the Motive for pressure only...do not fill with brake fluid.

You will still have to remove and fill the reservoir manually, but it will cut down on clean time (if you want the hoses on the Motive to last, you need to clean every time with denatured alcohol - and even then they will wear), and prevent the horror situation of a line popping off the bleeder and spraying brake fluid everywhere, including your eyes.
Wouldn't that force more air into the system? I thought the purpose of the motive is to pressurize the system and take the new fluid to push the old fluid out without any air pockets. I could be wrong, still learning about this.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:51 PM
guitman32

It would only force air in the system if you let the reservoir run dry. Otherwise all the pressure does is press the fluid through the system since you are introducing it from the top of the res.