Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replace Rear Strut Bushing On The Car? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM
digital sol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Rear Strut Bushing On The Car? Possible?

Hello all, I am currently trying to replace my rear strut bushings on my 04g coupe however I am running into some problems. Yes, its a G coupe not a Z but were all the same family

I have to replace the bushings because the bolt was seized to the bushing and it tore right out when removing the bolt. I am replacing my struts with tokico D spec's.

I have some whiteline bushing replacements however I am having a really hard time trying to press the new bushing in. What tool is recommended for the re installation of the bushing? The space is very limited without removing the entire knuckle and I havnt been able to fit the standard bushing press you rent at autozone/oreilly's etc in that area.

I was curious if there was another method that could be used, perhaps a 2 or 3 prong puller setup? I have no experience using the pullers or any other method of pushing bushings besides the standard kit and my 12 ton press.

I had to torch & cut the old bushing sleeves out of the knuckles which was very, very time consuming as is and now I am trying to figure a way to push the new ones in without removing the knuckle. The space is rather limited.

Thanks I really appreciate your help!

Name:  9205977D-EA0C-4473-81FE-A6A395D5856F_zpsj9nq6lug.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  159.2 KB

Last edited by digital sol; 03-23-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran into this same problem as you. First of all getting them out with out the rite tool was a nightmare. The first tool i rented was not a bushing removal tool but ball joint press tool. They look very similar but do not have the same pieces needed, and the c clamp is slightly smaller and just fits with out having to remove the knuckle. I ended up ordering a bushing removal tool from Auto Zone . Pressed them in so smooth made me feel real stupid for trying any other method.

140 from Autozone, and then return it. Literally pressed the new bushings in within 5 minutes each.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...set/94806_0_0/

Last edited by RedBullRR; 03-23-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
digital sol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
I ran into this same problem as you. First of all getting them out with out the rite tool was a nightmare. The first tool i rented was not a bushing removal tool but ball joint press tool. They look very similar but do not have the same pieces needed, and the c clamp is slightly smaller and just fits with out having to remove the knuckle. I ended up ordering a bushing removal tool from Auto Zone . Pressed them in so smooth made me feel real stupid for trying any other method.

140 from Autozone, and then return it. Literally pressed the new bushings in within 5 minutes each.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...set/94806_0_0/
Thank you so much. I would have never thought about that kit because the one I have looks very, very similar to that. I went ahead & ordered it, thanks!