Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Once Again, I need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 AM
louisville13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Once Again, I need help

So over the weekend i put some eibach sport springs on my z. Everything was great but the back tires (275/35/19) rub on my fenders. I took the car to the shop yesterday along with an eibach camber kit I had to get an alignment done so my wheels would fit. Today I just got a call and they said theres no way theyll ever fit my wheels on unless I cut the fender or get wider fenders. Now heres the problem. I can either invest in wide fenders (expensive and I'm sure even more expensive to have intalled), I can try and sell my volks and buy some 17in wheels, or maybe roll my fenders? I could also go back to stock springs but thats a lot more work, i like these new springs, and if I returned them Id still have to pay 100 dollars for shipping and restock fees. Right now I think I'm going to get them to put the new camber bolts on (they seem reluctant cuz the z already has camber bolts in the rear) and when I get home ill probably start messing with them and see if I can get my wheels to fit (hopefully without crazy camber).

Any advice? Anyone?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Roll the fenders.. . . . .. .. .
The following users liked this post:
louisville13 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 AM
louisville13

Thank god, thats probably the cheapest option haha. Anyone know of anyone in louisville that rolls fenders?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

What offset and size are the wheels? If you get wider fenders your car will look stupid because you will need a crazy offset new wheel... If you swap just the rear springs back to stock at least the car will have a rake look and maybe wont look completely stupid... What front wheels are you running?

Depending on your wheel specs you could get new tires to help them fit. I didnt think springs would drop a car that much...
Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by louisville13
Thank god, thats probably the cheapest option haha. Anyone know of anyone in louisville that rolls fenders?
Go to big jimmy bobs barbeque and fender rolling, he does good work, and the BBQ is top notch
Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 AM
louisville13

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
What offset and size are the wheels? If you get wider fenders your car will look stupid because you will need a crazy offset new wheel... If you swap just the rear springs back to stock at least the car will have a rake look and maybe wont look completely stupid... What front wheels are you running?

Depending on your wheel specs you could get new tires to help them fit. I didnt think springs would drop a car that much...
I didn't think the car would drop that much either. The rears are 275/35/19 and the fronts are 235/35/19. Im not sure the offset, id have to measure, and the car is at the shop right now.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Try these guys

Dynosty
http://www.dynosty.com
Phone number: 502-384-8882
13100 Middletown Industrial Blvd
Louisville, KY 40223
Show Location on Map
Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 AM
louisville13

Originally Posted by jhc
Try these guys

Dynosty
http://www.dynosty.com
Phone number: 502-384-8882
13100 Middletown Industrial Blvd
Louisville, KY 40223
Show Location on Map
I tried them, they dont do body work and had no idea of anyone in town that does :/ may have to buy a roller and do it myself..
jhc (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

So over the weekend i put some eibach sport springs on my z. Everything was great but the back tires (275/35/19) rub on my fenders. I took the car to the shop yesterday along with an eibach camber kit I had to get an alignment done so my wheels would fit. Today I just got a call and they said theres no way theyll ever fit my wheels on unless I cut the fender or get wider fenders. Now heres the problem. I can either invest in wide fenders (expensive and I'm sure even more expensive to have intalled), I can try and sell my volks and buy some 17in wheels, or maybe roll my fenders? I could also go back to stock springs but thats a lot more work, i like these new springs, and if I returned them Id still have to pay 100 dollars for shipping and restock fees. Right now I think I'm going to get them to put the new camber bolts on (they seem reluctant cuz the z already has camber bolts in the rear) and when I get home ill probably start messing with them and see if I can get my wheels to fit (hopefully without crazy camber).

Any advice? Anyone?
Before you do anything crazy like selling your Volks for 17s just to make 'em fit, there's lots of things you should do first. (17s, 18s, 20s, 2xDeuces, with the wrong offset/size will rub just as much with a comparably wide tire anyhow.)

First off, check your wheel size and offset - not that you can change it if it's too small already - but at least you can see what others have done (most likely the next item.)

If you have Sportlines, you're down about 30-35mm. At that height, a modest roll should fix that.

An extreme fix would be to change your Volk inner (or outer, depending on size/offset) barrel ASSUMING modular wheels (you didn't specify).

A 275/35 should be a piece of cake to fit, one way or another. I run this size on both of my Z33s (on 10s and 10.5s) with NO fender work. But I'm not crazy low either.... 23mm and I'm fine.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-30-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:40 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Any advice? Anyone?
Hope you get it sorted! I've got a set of Pros in the garage going on this wknd. If you have tips, post up!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
Hope you get it sorted! I've got a set of Pros in the garage going on this wknd. If you have tips, post up!
ProKit? Right on, John, will be nice.
jhc (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 01:22 PM
louisville13

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Before you do anything crazy like selling your Volks for 17s just to make 'em fit, there's lots of things you should do first. (17s, 18s, 20s, 2xDeuces, with the wrong offset/size will rub just as much with a comparably wide tire anyhow.)

First off, check your wheel size and offset - not that you can change it if it's too small already - but at least you can see what others have done (most likely the next item.)

If you have Sportlines, you're down about 30-35mm. At that height, a modest roll should fix that.

An extreme fix would be to change your Volk inner (or outer, depending on size/offset) barrel ASSUMING modular wheels (you didn't specify).

A 275/35 should be a piece of cake to fit, one way or another. I run this size on both of my Z33s (on 10s and 10.5s) with NO fender work. But I'm not crazy low either.... 23mm and I'm fine.
Ok I will have to go try and measure the offset (the wheels came with the car so I honestly have no idea what they are). The wheels are volk gtv's (I think the rears are 19.5, I tried looking up but i was not expecting there to be that many options). And I am really hoping that I don't need a fender roll because I have called just about every body shop around louisville and no body rolls fenders. I really wasn't expecting this problem, it was only supposed to drop about 1.2 inches and I had a little more than a 2 finger gap in the rear. Would me not installing the camber bolts have anything to do with my problem?

Ok so I measure my wheel (well attempted to). The offset from the mounting pad to the back of the rim is 6.75" (i couldn't figure out how to convert that). The tires are on so this part was hard to measure but I believe they are 10.5" wide. From the lip to the lip it is 20.5" but i think where the tire is seated, it is right under 19". The tires are 19's so I guess thats the size of the wheel. Also on the mounting pad these were stamped- 19x J and then a 21 on another part. I really hope I measured it right, I googled a lot but it seemed kinda confusing since the tire was on.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:25 PM
louisville13

Originally Posted by jhc
AN IMPACT WRENCH! It took me forever breaking the bolts lose because I couldn't fit a breaker bar, but if you don't have an impact, take the handle of the floor jack or another tube and slip it over the handle of the socket wrench. Once I figured that out it was a piece of cake. The fronts were a pain in the *** but the rear springs are as easy as taking one bolt out and putting a different spring in. Oh and if you don't have an impact Id get a friend to help hold the shock while you try and loosen the nut to get the springs off. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Ok so I measure my wheel (well attempted to). The offset from the mounting pad to the back of the rim is 6.75" (i couldn't figure out how to convert that). The tires are on so this part was hard to measure but I believe they are 10.5" wide. From the lip to the lip it is 20.5" but i think where the tire is seated, it is right under 19". The tires are 19's so I guess thats the size of the wheel. Also on the mounting pad these were stamped- 19x J and then a 21 on another part. I really hope I measured it right, I googled a lot but it seemed kinda confusing since the tire was on.
19 x "what"? It should have another number next to that... 9.5... 10.5....

The "21" is likely the offset in mm. If that's the case, this particular wheel "should be" 19x8.5 +21 as this is the only 21mm offset Volk GT-V wheel (per Volk fitment chart). I'm doubting this is right because an 8.5 (for an aftermarket wheel) is way too small for the rear of a Z and running 275s is a clear no-no for this "narrow" of a wheel.

But bottom line: if it is truly an 8.5, it should not be presenting this type of clearance problem so guessing it's an anomaly and is a larger wheel making my Volk chart in error.

I suggest you take a close up photo of the wheel front and backside and post those up.

In any event, the clearance problem will still exist even after measuring; so concentrate on finding someone who will roll your fender lip or buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Fende...hVNn~M&vxp=mtr

Personally, I find the concept of fender rolling cringe worthy.... actually bending something on my car ON PURPOSE just to make something fit.... like fingernails on a chalkboard. Yeeeeeeeeeeee.......

------------------------

For future reference...

The 6.75" you measured from the mounting face to the rim edge (yes, I said rim, folks.... the rim of the WHEEL ) is called the "backspacing". Somewhat irrelevant to this topic even though it plays a substantial part in proper wheel fitment.

Suggest you read this to better understand what you're measuring:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...t-novices.html

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-30-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:08 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

AN IMPACT WRENCH! It took me forever breaking the bolts lose because I couldn't fit a breaker bar, but if you don't have an impact, take the handle of the floor jack or another tube and slip it over the handle of the socket wrench. Once I figured that out it was a piece of cake. The fronts were a pain in the *** but the rear springs are as easy as taking one bolt out and putting a different spring in. Oh and if you don't have an impact Id get a friend to help hold the shock while you try and loosen the nut to get the springs off. Good luck!
Amen to that! ^^^

I can't run my air tools in my garage because it's right underneath one of my tenants' bedroom and my compressor is too f'n noisy. So.... solution (until I find our dream house):

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-h...nch-68099.html

BUT..... I mention this only as concept, NOT RECOMMENDATION of this unit. It works great BUT the socket drive doesn't have a good way of retaining the socket (like a spring ball on other better units) and the sockets and/or extension always fall off when removing lug nuts/bolts. But at least since I know this, I grab hold of the socket when removing stuff. Shoulda bought that MacTools unit....

One thing I miss about managing a big shop.... air supply with no one to bish about the noise.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

We do not have all the information here, or even the actual/accurate information.

We need this for the wheels: size and offset; and we need tire size. We also need a recent (contemporary) alignment chart.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:34 PM
louisville13

I don't have an alignment chart, they measured the alignment today but it was with the stock wheels and they didn't give me a copy... Heres some pics hopefully it helps. I really appreciate all the help guys I've been stressing like crazy over this

it says 19x then under is a j.<br/>the other part says 35317 with a 21 under it

Tire size

stock wheels are on the bottom for reference (yes I know i need to buy new tires after i figure this all out)

Tried to show the depth

tried to show the depth

Only pics I have of the tires on the car, idk if it helps show fitment

Old 03-30-2016, 06:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Presuming those are pics of car BEFORE lowering because that can't be a 30mm drop.

From the pics, I can tell you for certain, those are NOT 8.5" wheels despite what the Volk chart says. I run exact same size tires on my 10.5 Volks and the fit on the wheel looks identical.

Strange markings on the wheel.... I'm totally perplexed. Never seen a Rays wheel that wasn't properly marked.

Fix your fender clearance issue by rolling, get some new tahrs and call it a day. That's about all the advice I can give you at this point, sorry.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 PM
louisville13

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Presuming those are pics of car BEFORE lowering because that can't be a 30mm drop.

From the pics, I can tell you for certain, those are NOT 8.5" wheels despite what the Volk chart says. I run exact same size tires on my 10.5 Volks and the fit on the wheel looks identical.

Strange markings on the wheel.... I'm totally perplexed. Never seen a Rays wheel that wasn't properly marked.

Fix your fender clearance issue by rolling, get some new tahrs and call it a day. That's about all the advice I can give you at this point, sorry.
Ok thank you for the help i really appreciate it!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Very nice, sir! Thx for the advice, post up pics!