Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear spring rubber seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:20 PM
ZbeginninG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear spring rubber seat

Hey, well I tried installing some used kW v3's on an 03 Z and ran into an issue. The rear spring would not fit over the OEM rubber seat. Has anyone ran into this issue and if so what solution was used? I've tried searching but have not found much. I have the installation manual but it's generic and not very helpful. This is my first time doing any thing like this on a car so a bit of a noob that is willing to learn and get my hands dirty. Any info would be appreciated.
This is how it looks. Tried to force it on but didn't work to well.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:57 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

there is a pif of KW's mounted in this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ic-thread.html
it looks like you mounted the springs the wrong way.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:42 PM
ZbeginninG

It is hard to tell from the photo but that is the larger opening. Here is a photo, again still hard to tell but the smaller diameter top and bigger bottom.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM
ZbeginninG

After looking at the photos in the link provided i undertsand now thg the springs were mounted wrong. Also called KW and asked to verify what spring goes on front and rear. Thanks for the help
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure those springs are not for coil overs?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 PM
ZbeginninG

Well the pictured ones did belong in the front so that would make them the front coilover. These are OEM style coilovers in the rear. But have it all figured out and they are on the car and they are sweet!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbeginninG
Well the pictured ones did belong in the front so that would make them the front coilover. These are OEM style coilovers in the rear. But have it all figured out and they are on the car and they are sweet!
This is a nitpick but a very critical distinction for a working suspension system.

The stock Z suspension does NOT use a front "coilover". It is an integrated component of the front suspension and is a modified Macpherson strut assembly. There IS a critical difference in the fundamental design despite their looking identical.

And the terminology "OEM coilovers in the rear" is totally off as the Z does not use any type of coilover or even a Macpherson or Chapman strut in the rear; it is a fully independent shock/spring arrangement. And it's there for a good reason... better handling than changing all the suspension pick up points and alignment settings.

What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? Not a damn thing. Coilovers are here to stay. I just hate how everyone seems to think that coilovers are the ultimate "shid" for the Z when in fact, they are actually a step down from the original design of the factory Z suspension system. Don't know why everyone pretends they're smarter than the Nissan suspension engineers.
The following users liked this post:
Bak3rme (03-26-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:08 AM
ZbeginninG

I see well looks like i have some reading to do. I was only using "oem" becuase i have read here about true coilovers and the "oem style," but thank you for the clarification. Any way thanks for the knowledge drop on this noob.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbeginninG
I see well looks like i have some reading to do. I was only using "oem" becuase i have read here about true coilovers and the "oem style," but thank you for the clarification. Any way thanks for the knowledge drop on this noob.
Nahhhh, no biggee. Just used your comment as an excuse to go into "old man rant" mode. Hahahahahaha!

Trust me, were I truly bothered by it, the rant would have been about 8 "scroll downs" long. Ask anyone who knows me.