Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:16 AM
z33_Umar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Recomendations

Yes yes, I know there are at least over 100 posts on here about Coilovers vs Shocks and Springs, but the only problem is that most of them are fairly old so ill keep this short and simple. Is there anything that you guys would recommend, no im not going to track my car, it will be daily driven. Its just that im at 85k on my 08 and its still got the stock shocks . I was thinking about getting Tokico D shocks and pairing them with some springs, but for the same price range I could get Ksport Pro Coilovers. Any and all input will be great
Old 03-27-2017, 07:29 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Stock?
I've driven my stock suspension 350z and one with tein(tien? tein?) lowering springs...mine felt 100x better than his.

The tein lowering springs felt like $25 honda "coilovers" so stiff and horrible. Only good for a track with a completely smooth surface
Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Best bang for the buck if you just daily, want it lower and to be able to say you have coilovers. Tien Basis, great setup until you start having Motorsports needs
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (04-04-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by z33_Umar
Yes yes, I know there are at least over 100 posts on here about Coilovers vs Shocks and Springs, but the only problem is that most of them are fairly old so ill keep this short and simple. Is there anything that you guys would recommend, no im not going to track my car, it will be daily driven. Its just that im at 85k on my 08 and its still got the stock shocks . I was thinking about getting Tokico D shocks and pairing them with some springs, but for the same price range I could get Ksport Pro Coilovers. Any and all input will be great
Daily drivers do NOT need coilovers... especially cheap ones. But that's my opinion only as lots of people love their coilovers.

I personally like my teeth. Laff...

S'far as the posts here are concerned, they may be old but not a lot has changed. The same shocks recommended 10 years ago are pretty much still the de facto recommendations...

Bilstein or Koni at the top of the price range

Tokico HP (Blues) at the "minimum", $400 level.

Tokico D-specs in between - if you can actually find them since they were discontinued a while back (but may be back in production, dunno). These get great write-ups and if you need adjustability, these or the Konis are the only game in town (for standard shocks, non-coilover)

Here's a thread to chew on rather than me ranting on about standard suspension versus coilovers (and while opinionated, there's objectivity in it as well with at least one member going from Bilstein to a coilover setup very nicely.)

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html
photo2u (01-22-2018)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

For a daily run drop springs and new struts.

Can probably pull all your info on the lowering spring thread for which you wanna try.

Koni yellow, and eibach are a common combo. Don't expect spammed tho. Your ganna need coils if you wanna do that.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM
z33_Umar

Default Re

Thanks very much appreciated, ive had my Z for over a year, and ive always been able to just search something on this forum and find the answer ive needed, so that's why this is my first actual post. The Tokico D's are for sale on carid as well as a few other sites. And no I do not want to slam my car, I just figured since im going down there, I might as well look into it. Thanks a lot for the input ill look into the Tokico Blues, and some springs to pair with it, eibach probably.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM
z33_Umar

So after searching and researching again, ive made a decision to go with the D specs, and Tein S tech springs. I don't want to slam my car anyways. No need to throw more money into coils, then UACs, Camber arms and ect. Appreciate all the help. Just one small question however. The pictures (that ive seen at least) it looks almost like the D specs are true style can someone just clarify this for me. Much appreciated
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by z33_Umar
So after searching and researching again, ive made a decision to go with the D specs, and Tein S tech springs. I don't want to slam my car anyways. No need to throw more money into coils, then UACs, Camber arms and ect. Appreciate all the help. Just one small question however. The pictures (that ive seen at least) it looks almost like the D specs are true style can someone just clarify this for me. Much appreciated
Good choice.... verify with vendors that they actually have them in stock. That's good news if they've brought them back from the grave! A good alternate.

They are conventional shocks (strut style front, separate shock units rear).

Actual 350Z application.

While you're at it, you might want to look at the Bilstein Pro-Kit setup. Bilstein HD shocks and Eibach springs (and on sale at at least one of our sponsor vendors)... $854 complete w/shipping. You can barely buy 'Steins separately at that price. By the time you add a good spring set to the D-Specs, you're way past that already.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 AM
AML225

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Good choice.... verify with vendors that they actually have them in stock. That's good news if they've brought them back from the grave! A good alternate.

They are conventional shocks (strut style front, separate shock units rear).

Actual 350Z application.

While you're at it, you might want to look at the Bilstein Pro-Kit setup. Bilstein HD shocks and Eibach springs (and on sale at at least one of our sponsor vendors)... $854 complete w/shipping. You can barely buy 'Steins separately at that price. By the time you add a good spring set to the D-Specs, you're way past that already.
That Bilstein Pro-Kit seems like a good deal. Would you recommend that to someone who daily drives their Z, wants a comfort level similar to stock, and will only maybe ever track the car / has no need for adjustments?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

a while back (2.5-3 years ago) the manufacturing plant that made d-specs went bankrupt and closed... they were not in production for a long time. not sure about now
Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by AML225
That Bilstein Pro-Kit seems like a good deal. Would you recommend that to someone who daily drives their Z, wants a comfort level similar to stock, and will only maybe ever track the car / has no need for adjustments?
Yes to all 3.

I may be biased a bit. I've had, uhhhh, I dunno, 8-10 sets of Bilsteins on a variety of cars (including present Z33) and EVERY application of same put smiles on my face.

They are firm but forgiving and soak up bumps better than any other conventional shock I've ever used (dare I say "comfortable"?) but throw curves and uneven loads at them and they just do their jobs without complaint.

The Pro-Kit - IMO - is THE best deal on 'Steins, bar none. Go to any vendor and price out Bilstein B6 or B8 individually then look at the price of the Pro-Kit set-up. Uhhhh, can you say "free springs" (or close)?
photo2u (01-22-2018)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM
AML225

Yes to all 3.

I may be biased a bit. I've had, uhhhh, I dunno, 8-10 sets of Bilsteins on a variety of cars (including present Z33) and EVERY application of same put smiles on my face.

They are firm but forgiving and soak up bumps better than any other conventional shock I've ever used (dare I say "comfortable"?) but throw curves and uneven loads at them and they just do their jobs without complaint.

The Pro-Kit - IMO - is THE best deal on 'Steins, bar none. Go to any vendor and price out Bilstein B6 or B8 individually then look at the price of the Pro-Kit set-up. Uhhhh, can you say "free springs" (or close)?
How do they compare to Tockico blues with comparable springs? If I go with the Pro Kit, which lowers 1.2", would I need any other components to ensure proper wheel alignment? I was looking for something that lowers less than an inch, but that's only because most of the setups that lower more are associated with harsher rides. I daily drive this car in LA with its bumpy roads. I somewhat regularly bottom out entering parking lots with the stock setup.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:34 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

How do they compare to Tockico blues with comparable springs? If I go with the Pro Kit, which lowers 1.2", would I need any other components to ensure proper wheel alignment? I was looking for something that lowers less than an inch, but that's only because most of the setups that lower more are associated with harsher rides. I daily drive this car in LA with its bumpy roads. I somewhat regularly bottom out entering parking lots with the stock setup.
I dunno why they quote 1.2" lowering with Pro-Kit. I don't know anyone with Pro-Kit that ever took that much height out of it. More like 15mm or so. Bilsteins tend to raise a car about 4-5mm over other shocks. And that's empirical, not just talk. Every one of mine sat higher than the spring's advertised lowering. (And now that I have Koni Sports - long story - the car sits at a measured -19mm)

GENERAL rule of thumb: going more than 25mm drop, expect to run adjustable camber/toe gear to save your tires. On Z33, that equates to FUCAs of your choice and toe-bolt and camber arms in the rear. That will run from $300 to $800 depending on brand/quality. Even though I'm only at -19mm, I chose to run adjustable gear because I'm a nit about alignment settings, THE key variable even over choice of shocks/springs for real improvements in handling.

But, installing shocks/springs without the gear is OK under that one inch mark... you'll be at the extreme negative end of the camber range and still be OK with OE ability to adjust toe. Front caster, though, yer on yer own.

Tokico Blues - excellent shocks and IMO, the minimum shock ($400 range) to run. Not nearly the acuteness of damping afforded by Bilstein out-of-box or Koni with single ****, dual adjustability of jounce and rebound. But damm good OE replacement+ shocks.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 AM
AML225

I dunno why they quote 1.2" lowering with Pro-Kit. I don't know anyone with Pro-Kit that ever took that much height out of it. More like 15mm or so. Bilsteins tend to raise a car about 4-5mm over other shocks. And that's empirical, not just talk. Every one of mine sat higher than the spring's advertised lowering. (And now that I have Koni Sports - long story - the car sits at a measured -19mm)

GENERAL rule of thumb: going more than 25mm drop, expect to run adjustable camber/toe gear to save your tires. On Z33, that equates to FUCAs of your choice and toe-bolt and camber arms in the rear. That will run from $300 to $800 depending on brand/quality. Even though I'm only at -19mm, I chose to run adjustable gear because I'm a nit about alignment settings, THE key variable even over choice of shocks/springs for real improvements in handling.

But, installing shocks/springs without the gear is OK under that one inch mark... you'll be at the extreme negative end of the camber range and still be OK with OE ability to adjust toe. Front caster, though, yer on yer own.

Tokico Blues - excellent shocks and IMO, the minimum shock ($400 range) to run. Not nearly the acuteness of damping afforded by Bilstein out-of-box or Koni with single ****, dual adjustability of jounce and rebound. But damm good OE replacement+ shocks.
Hmmm okay. Thank you very much for all the help! It sounds like you would recommend getting the Pro Kit and getting adjustable front upper control arms, rear camber arms, and rear toe arms? It seems like it would be a pain to just get the Pro Kit, find out the car can't be aligned quite right, then have to buy and install those parts.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hmmm okay. Thank you very much for all the help! It sounds like you would recommend getting the Pro Kit and getting adjustable front upper control arms, rear camber arms, and rear toe arms? It seems like it would be a pain to just get the Pro Kit, find out the car can't be aligned quite right, then have to buy and install those parts.
Not that big of a deal to add later. Sure, some disassembly required but if you can wield a wrench (or can pay to have it done later, if needed), no biggee. When we did my kid's car (with my original Bilsteins, a set of springs), we decided to "wait and see". Car is fine.... could use adjustable gear but it's like I said, a bit close to the negative camber lower range but still within OE spec so all good. He may do it later but for now, car handles decently with toe set to spec.
photo2u (01-22-2018)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:25 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Best bang for the buck if you just daily, want it lower and to be able to say you have coilovers. Tien Basis, great setup until you start having Motorsports needs

I would get them again.