Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Clunking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:08 AM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clunking Sound

Hey please do read through the entire thread before replying. I will post in detail as to what is going on...

2008, 112k miles on it. Pretty everything suspension/steering wise is factory stock and hasn't been replaced since it was built.

So whenever I go slowly over small bumps, I hear this clunking sound coming from the front left of the car. I have checked everything, all my ball joints are fine, my end links have no wiggle in them, and the boots look fine. There's no play in my tie rods, control arms, or sway bars. Nothing is rusted, bent, or broken.

Here's my dilemma, firstly, the noise is beyond annoying. Also I have noticed that ever since the clunking has occurred, my car has slightly more roll to it when turning right going through an on ramp. Secondly, and this just occurred today, and was a bit odd. I was going ~30-40mph and turned left, through an intersection, I've done this before and the car handled just fine, but this time, my steering wheel jerked hard to the left, and my right tired felt like it was buckling, almost as if my tie rod was going to snap....

I'm sorry, I know it's hard to give advice without actually seeing the car in person. I'm most likely going to take it to a mechanic to see what they can tell me.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:13 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

You should limp to the nearest shop - immediately if not sooner

You said "Nothing is rusted, bent, or broken." ...I'm thinkin your diagnosis is incomplete. - So, if you can't fix it, get it in

Last edited by carbuffguy; 04-02-2017 at 04:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Theminatar (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Theminatar

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
You should limp to the nearest shop - immediately if not sooner

You said "Nothing is rusted, bent, or broken." ...I'm thinkin your diagnosis is incomplete. - So, if you can't fix it, get it in
Yeah, that's my prognosis lol. I have a ton of pictures of every single part, and I just keep looking over and over and I can't find anything..
Old 04-03-2017, 07:16 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Betting on shocks.

The ones that gave up the ghost 65,000 or more miles ago. Never known an OEM shock to go anywhere over 50k. If that.
Theminatar (04-04-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:06 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I had a clunking sound (like in parking lots; low speed) from front corner about 2 yrs. ago. Ended up it was the end links, replaced both fronts and it was solved. Good luck with it all!

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-03-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Theminatar (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Theminatar

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I had a clunking sound (like in parking lots; low speed) from front corner about 2 yrs. ago. Ended up it was the end links, replaced both fronts and it was solved. Good luck with it all!
That's what I was thinking too. But the endlinks aren't broken, or loose at all.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
NickNunez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't just look for signs. Take the joints off and feel how they move. My guess is it's the lower ball joint. They're highly prone to going out on this car and cause a bad clunk when braking slowing down or going around corners. If that's it you have to press in a new one or break out your wallet for a whole new knuckle. Take out the lca and see if the joint flops around. If not check your compression rod ball joint and bushing to make sure they're not walked.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:36 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like you have eliminated a lot of the possibilities. you could also check the strut mounts. that could cause your problems