Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help with Tein EDFC install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 06:06 PM
nwind21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gt3
nwind21, thanks for the reply. Do you remember whether your holes in the rear strut tower are bigger than the ones shown in Jason's photos?

Also, I spoke to my installer. He said when he tried to mount the front struts with the servo motors on them, he was unable to tighten the bolts due to lack of clearance. Does this sound correct? Is he doing something wrong? Once again, all your help is really appreciated.
They look about the right size. the connector you have to push through BARELY fits the hole. I had a buddy with a needle nose grab the connector as I pushed it up to the hole.

I'm not sure what Jason is referring to "cutting wires/voiding Tein warranty". You might wanna check with him what that means? The wires TEIN supplies are more than adequate to run through the car with plenty extra to spare. I tucked all my wires behind the AC unit plate (there's a lot of space there).

To access the firewall hole you need to remove at least the plastic on the left-hand side of the engine (if you're looking at the engine from the front. After you remove the plastic you'll see a big rubber booty and a huge bundle of wire running into it. You'll need to carefully slice open the wrapping up to the booty, scrape the black rubber sticky waterproofing gunk, then route the wires down. You should also pick up some electrical tape and some "black rubber cement" to reseal/waterproof that area. Also that area under the plastic where the windshield wiper tubing goes is the ideal place to route the wire coming from the right front servo motor. You don't want to leave that wire in the engine bay.

That hole will drop you around the passenger side and you can then route the wires wherever you want. I have my EDFC in the nav compartment (requires drilling for wire access) and my nav door DOES close. It's definitely a tight squeeze.

Hope that helps. GL on the install.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the motor unit, there is a short wire hanging off with the connector on the end... its the connector that we couldnt fit through the holes and even we called TEIN and they said on the Z you need to cut the rear bar... They said cutting the wires before the connector and then re-connecting them after the wires are run through would void the warranty on the motors...
Old 03-08-2004, 09:40 AM
nwind21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
on the motor unit, there is a short wire hanging off with the connector on the end... its the connector that we couldnt fit through the holes and even we called TEIN and they said on the Z you need to cut the rear bar... They said cutting the wires before the connector and then re-connecting them after the wires are run through would void the warranty on the motors...

Oh ok. I'm pretty sure what we did as a workaround was connect the stubby servo wire to the main wire before passing it through the hole. The small connector which connects to the EDFC can fit through the hole.