Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

GReddy brake kits *chrome/gold calipers*

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:48 AM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look flashy, but how do they perform? Have they been tested extensively on the Z? Have they been proven under race conditions? Most manufacturers don't use the same parts for race and street applications.
Are they using the common one-size fits all approach (i.e. Use a set of calipers that you use for every other platform with a set piston size, and apply to a bunch of different platforms)? If they are using this approach, front to rear balance will not be optimal most likely. If I had to guess, I'd bet the piston sizes in those calipers are the same for every single one of those listed applications...which is a big no-no.
How much are replacement pads and rotors? Are there many street and race compounds in that pad shape? What kind of tech support will you receive if you buy them? If there is a problem, will you be able to get straight answers from the people that designed and made the parts? Are the hats fully floating?

This is interesting..."In addition to the classic Grex gold color, we also offer a stylish chrome polish finish, to meet your fashion needs." If I told my engineers that I was going to use that in our marketing, they would probably try to have me fired.

At any rate, Alcon does make some good stuff. As I mentioned above though, their street parts aren't necessarily what you see on the race cars that run their products. They are about $700-$1000 more than our front 355mm kit. That is a lot of money. I couldn't comment on their value unless all my questions above were answered satisfactorily. They do look pretty though...you could even fix your hair in them.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:59 AM
bobowah

Jeff,
you should check out to see if your powercoater can do a "gold" color on your guys brake calipers.

-Jeff
Old 06-09-2004, 10:13 AM
al503

Default floating rotors

Just confirmed with a vendor that they are 2 piece floating rotors.

J Ritt brings up some very good points testing, pad availability, customer service, etc. If only your 14" kit would fit under my stock (G) wheels
Old 06-09-2004, 10:48 AM
J Ritt

Bobowah,
We don't actually powdercoat our calipers...they all use a 2 part paint process. We have actually been talking about doing the Gold Calipers...would be the same color as the stock Track Model. We just need to source a high temp paint in that color. I can't put a time frame on it now, but it almost definitely will happen at some point.

Al503...have you verified that our kit definitely won't fit? You can print a template here: http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchart/infiniti.htm
Directions to use the template are here...click on "how do I use these charts":
http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchar...hart_index.htm
Old 06-09-2004, 11:35 AM
al503

Originally posted by J Ritt
Al503...have you verified that our kit definitely won't fit? You can print a template here: http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchart/infiniti.htm
Directions to use the template are here...click on "how do I use these charts":
http://www.stoptech.com/wheelfitchar...hart_index.htm
Yes. Did the template and there was about a credit card width (1 mm) between the caliper and the wheel. Eagle1 did a test fit with the actual kit and wheels and found the same thing. Doesn't rub but statically, but too close for comfort for any kind of movement.

If you could tell me that stoptech would come out with a 14" kit that would work with the stock G 18" wheel, I would wait. I know that the 13" kit would probably be more than I needed but I need the bling that comes with the 14"s.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:02 PM
J Ritt

I would run a small spacer (3-4mm). If properly designed, you shouldn't have any significant ill-effects with something that small. I've been referring people to Fred at http://www.wheeladapter.com

Everyone I've sent there has been happy with what he's done for them.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
al503

clearance with the spokes is not the problem. It's the actual rim itself. If you guys could take shave off about 3mm off the top of the caliper, it would work great.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:02 PM
ThreeFitty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats up fellas, my GREX kit has arrived, Jeff @ evolution and his crew will install it next week. Its the gold kit to match the Volk center caps. We'll post pics when its done.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:09 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Originally posted by ThreeFitty
Whats up fellas, my GREX kit has arrived, Jeff @ evolution and his crew will install it next week. Its the gold kit to match the Volk center caps. We'll post pics when its done.
Hurry up man, I want to see it!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 PM
al503

Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering if you guys were able to get the brakes on?
Old 07-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by al503
Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering if you guys were able to get the brakes on?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:22 PM
ThreeFitty

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails GReddy brake kits *chrome/gold calipers*-side-brakes.jpg  
Old 07-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Mr B

Is Grex still using Alcons? I heard that they were looking to use another manufacturer to provide their calipers/parts.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:26 PM
ThreeFitty

As far as I know they still are. Does anyone else have this kit? And if so are you having some problems with vibration when braking? Like the brakes are pulsing, almost like the antilock is kicking in.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:05 PM
staggered_IS

Another pic
Your car is fu*king amazing