Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Wilwood vs. rotora vs. stoptech

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally like the looks of the wilwood better....i don't know about quality or customer service on any of these brakes so i won't comment there....of course i would not make a decision based purely on looks in this instance. having been to many races i see more wilwood than any other manufacturer out there by far.....but a totally different application.

thx723...wilwood does have a front and rear kit
Old 06-30-2004, 11:31 AM
THX723

Thanks Road Warrior

I was under the impression Doc was also working on a 'matching' rear 13" set for this particular kit. Got any details/specs on it?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 AM
RIVET

Default AP and Brembo get little mention, how come?

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
Larger rotors = better heat capacity, more pistons = more evenly distributed brake clamping force

but, more pistons does not necessarily mean better braking performance. The size of the piston is the factor here.

Also Wilwood calipers have a reputation of "flexing". I don't know if I would want my calipers to "flex".
Let's be honest these two companies (AP, Brembo) by themselves dwarf all other competeing companies combined when it come to engineering know how and race experience. World sports car challenge? How about F1, WRC, NASCAR, etc. Honestly, if you want to be blown away get your hands on an AP or Brembo catalog, they are so far ahead of the curve when it comes to applying technology it's amazing.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Road Warrior

sorry thx723, but i don't have specifics on that 13" but check out this old thread for more info on the 14" front and rear wilwood ....that would be cool if they made a full set in a 13" too

Last edited by Road Warrior; 06-30-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 PM
J Ritt

Let's be honest these two companies (AP, Brembo) by themselves dwarf all other competeing companies combined when it come to engineering know how and race experience. World sports car challenge? How about F1, WRC, NASCAR, etc. Honestly, if you want to be blown away get your hands on an AP or Brembo catalog, they are so far ahead of the curve when it comes to applying technology it's amazing.
Rivet,
You're completely off base here. It is true that these companies do have extremely advanced setups for F1, etc., but that's not we're talking about here. Those components would never ever find their way on to a street or sportscar. That's an apples to oranges comparison. We've gone head to head with both AP and Brembo sportscar kits on many occasions, and we've won (magazine tests, 3rd party testing, and racing). The racers running our kits are free to choose...they chose us. Brembo's been around since 1961, so they have a bit of a head start on us...particularly on the motorsports and OEM side of things. We are on the right track though. Did you know that every Toyota Racing Development caliper sold is made by us? They rebadge our product, and they are one of the strongest manufacturers in existence. We're not on their F1 cars, but that doesn't mean that we won't be one day!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Default A few pix

Front 14" 6 Pistons

Rear 14" 6 Pistons

Top Japanese drifters using Wilwood 6 pistons kit (finished #1 in D1 in Cali)

N4Spd's G35 14" 6 Pistons slotted only

Jordan's Nitto Sponsored 350z - 6 pistons Blue finish

Minho NX sponsored 350z - 6 pistons Red finish

Last edited by Jeff@Evolution; 06-30-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:15 PM
schtebie

I apologize for coming off as a d-ck, J. That really wasn't my intention. I've been a member on this board for a while, just never thought to post because I wouldn't have any relevant input as a 350Z owner (because I don't own one).

I really wasn't trying to tell you what to do or say. I meant everything I said in the most courteous manner. I know that StopTech is a big name in the brake industry and I applaud you and your company for being able to uphold the good reputation that you have. I am not doubting the quality of StopTech products as I know of a few friends that run your brake kits. Just as a customer of Doc's, I can say that I am fully satisfied with the product he has put on the market and his helpful customer service has exceeded all my expectations.

Once again, I apologize for having aggravated the situation. Happy posting.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:27 PM
schtebie

Default Re: AP and Brembo get little mention, how come?

Originally posted by RIVET
Keep in mind that these brakes are going on a street car. Not F1, WRC, NASCAR, etc. True, Brembo and AP Racing have great reputations and are used widely across all forms of motorsports. The issue at hand is more along the lines of value for money. Sure if you could shell out the $2600-2700 for one of their GT kits, lucky for you. However, for all intents and purposes, chances are the car that these brakes are going on will not be in a 24 hour endurance race. It will boil down to comparable performance on the street and perhaps in track events or auto-x. Used for those particular purposes, is the Brembo or AP kit worth that extra $1000+?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:51 PM
RIVET

Default Really?

Nothing personal J Ritt but if your gonna make statements like these, "Our calipers are hands down the stiffest of anything out there, and our patented AeroRotors flow the most air of anything out there. " be prepared for a rebuttal. I personally find your comments about Willwood products "off base" . As for your statement"It is true that these companies do have extremely advanced setups for F1, etc., but that's not we're talking about here. Those components would never ever find their way on to a street or sportscar." That particular product may not be used on the street but I guarantee that the technology pioneered in these top level racing classes absolutley will. Why do you think companies do this, sure to get exposure but also to develop technology that will trickle down to where the real money is made, the average consumer. I just figured a litlle perspective was necessary. Also, have you ever noticed how the original Stoptech 6 piston caliper looked exactly like the pioneering Brembo F-40 caliper, weird huh?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:16 AM
J Ritt

Rivet,
Fair enough. I hear you on the trickle down thing. I understand that completely. My only point is that the components on an F1 car are at best a distant cousin to what is available for a 350Z street car. I do stand by my statements however...let me rephrase...for sportscar applications (not F1, etc.), our calipers are the stiffest out there, and our AeroRotors flow the most air. We have tested this...it is in fact true.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:14 PM
4myZ350

Well here I go ! I read a mag. story that compaired the roadster & z3 BMW and it tested both 70 to 0 and the z3 stopped 20 feet sooner. how can we get are Z's to stop that fast?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:39 PM
350ZCJC

It seems to me that after doing a little research that you really cant go wrong with either the stoptech, or the wilwood. The only thing that makes me kinda skeptical about the stoptech was the lack of use of it on E46 M3's (had one till it got stolen two weeks ago)i was on the forums a lot over at m3forum.com and it just seemed like nobody there used them. It was mainly wilwood's or brembo's. Brembo had 14" and even 15" available. This doesnt mean the stoptechs a bad kit i was just wondering why not many people used them on their bimmer's? Im currently trying to decide which kit to get, unless brembo decides to come out with a rear kit to match the fronts, then ill have to go that route.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:15 PM
4myZ350

I'm bumping this to see if anyone will adress my last question.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:06 PM
J Ritt

Well here I go ! I read a mag. story that compaired the roadster & z3 BMW and it tested both 70 to 0 and the z3 stopped 20 feet sooner. how can we get are Z's to stop that fast?
You can't do this sort of magazie/bench racing. There are loads of factors that play into the stopping distances...tires, temps, pads, etc. The single biggest determinant would be the tires that were used though. Throw on some R compounds, and it's a whole new ballgame in terms of stopping distances. In other words, all stopping distances are limited by tire adhesion, period.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:17 AM
4myZ350

thanks for answering---- please add "the cars were box stock"will that help to get a better anwer?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by 4myZ350
thanks for answering---- please add "the cars were box stock"will that help to get a better anwer?
i believe he answered your question....so whats the big fascination with getting your z to stop better than a beamer anyways ....i would rather put my moneys towards making my z faster
Old 07-09-2004, 07:21 AM
chubbles

Hello all, I found this to be an interesting post as I read through. Many people are going to support the product they have on thier car usually so it creats some what of a bias. Then when vendors are thrown in the mix they have bias too. Anyway my opinion.

I am a suspension and brake enthusiast by all means. I have worked with brakes for 8 years and suspension for 8 also.

I have worked with Brembo, Stoptech, Rotora, Endless, Wilwood, Baer, Project Mu and many more.

For Street and Track opinion...for the non sponsored! (1-10best)

Brembo - Great brakes at a horrible price. We all know brembo is just the coke of brakes everyones heard of them but not everyone can afford them - 7

Stoptech - A dream to work with the people and the brakes. Stiff and excellent venting. they squeak a little bit until they warm up which is my only complaint but it is a small one 9

Baer - Good brakes just no there yet - 7

Rotora - Excellent quality. Stiff but i think they are a bit much for this car... - 8

Endless - Another fine tuner - 8

Wilwood - Great brakes great pricing 7.5

Project - Excellent if you're a rich guy... 8

If i had to suggest any brakes for the Z - Stoptech would be the ones! Rotora a close second....

I have used Brembo, Wilwood, Rotora and Stoptech on this one car and all have been street and track brakes.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-09-2004, 07:38 AM
chubbles

J is right though, i forgot to mention this, change the tires to a tire with r comp on the roadster and that would for sure make up a lot of footage compared to that z3