Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

StopTech's new rear caliper...it's getting closer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 06:50 PM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StopTech's new rear caliper...it's getting closer!

Hi guys,
Well, we're almost there. The first batch of our new ST-22 calipers has officially left the building. They will be run on a number of World Challenge BMW's this coming weekend at Mid-Ohio. The prototype 350Z version is next in the lineup to go on the mill for final machining. There should be at least 2 350Z's running these within the next 2 weeks (Axis wheels car and my own personal car).

Ok...on to the pics! These pics are the black anodized race version of the caliper debuting this weekend on the Turner Motorsports (seen in my sig) and BimmerWorld World Challenge Cars...

You'll see in this first pic, that we use our small logo on the face of the caliper...taken from the middle of our standard logo.

http://www.stoptech.com/images/stopt...showpiston.jpg

You can see the pad retention system in this next pic...we went without a bridge in this small caliper, because it was overkill. The shape of the caliper is smaller and forms a much tighter square 'box' than our ST-40 front caliper. Therefore, it maintains an extraordinary stiffness, even without the bridge. We decided to save the extra weight. The caliper weighs about 5lbs, and it is made from 2 halves of billet aluminum. It is a 2 piston opposed, fixed design.

http://www.stoptech.com/images/stopt...nt-with-cr.jpg

You can see in this last pic, that the caliper sort of teeters on the main body when lying at rest on the table. This is because the caliper was designed to integrate as closely as possible with the bracket in the rear, allowing for max wheel clearance. This also allows for the use of less material, which again saves weight.

http://www.stoptech.com/images/stoptech_st22_fronta.jpg

As of now, we're looking at this caliper, combined with a 328x28mm rotor. This combo should provide more than enough heat capacity than anyone will be able to throw at it on a Z. It will be a direct add-on to both of our current front kits (355mm and 332mm). The pad shape on this caliper is identical to the one on the rear of the Track Model 350Z...which means good friction options. Retail price will almost definitely be $1895 (cheaper than our cheapest front kit...as I promised months ago). Our initial discussions put the new 4 wheel kit pricing as follows:
332mm F ST-40 caliper and 328mm R ST-22 caliper $3890
355mm F ST-40 caliper and 328mm R ST-22 caliper $4295 (again, cheaper than the current 355mm kit...as requested by all of you!). THESE ARE NOT FINAL PRICES...but almost final.

Now for the big question...when can you get yours?!?!?Hmmm...tough to say. They are being tested on the race cars now...and I'll throw out an estimate of 6-8 weeks before everyone can get their hands on them. The response I've had has been overwhelming. I'm thinking of starting to take preorders in about a month. Talk to your local tuner and get in line for yours...the first run will undoubtedly be sold out almost immediately. No more incinerated rear pads.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:23 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for the update.

A couple questions about this piece:

What mechanism is used for holding the pad retaining clip in place? Are those Allen bolts like used on the front 13" kit to secure the bridge, or will they require a different tool to remove?

Also, will this kit bolt on as easily as the front kit, or will it require 'modifications' to the surrounding components?

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

Gary
Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Blue Liquid

Jeff, thanks for the update! I'm all sweaty waiting for these to come out! I had ordered a set of Porterfield R4 race pads for my stock rears, and they sent me the sizing to fit the track model Brembos by accident. I was going to return them, but I'll simply keep them for when this kit becomes available. Thumbs up.
-Gennaro
Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now if you could release such 4 wheel kit for the rx7.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:53 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, those look great. I need to save some money!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:58 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Wow Jeff.... Those look AWESOME!

Gotta have RED though......?

Old 06-25-2004, 12:25 PM
foobazco

What is the difference between this one and the current rear kit? Are the calipers not as good as the st-40's? Or is the only difference the 13" rotors?

Thanks