Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Are Big Brake kits worth it? Look @ these results

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 12:34 PM
toothlessracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Are Big Brake kits worth it? Look @ these results

Here's an interesting find for those considering Big brake kits or just upgrading the rotors or calipers. You be the judge.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm

these guys tested a Performance and Track model Zs. And three StopTech set ups. the third i wont include since that vehicle had aftermarket suspension and tires.

the stopping difference @ different speeds are

Performance Z Track Z Stoptech 332mm StopTech 355mm
@60 118ft 117ft 115ft 115ft
@80 210ft 208ft 206ft 206ft
@100 335ft 328ft 326ft 326ft

these are averages. The difference ofcourse is fade and temperature.

What do you think?
Old 08-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the advantage in a BBK has never really been in its single stopping distance numbers....a good set of pads, braided lines and fluid is all you need there.

However, the BBK's offer superior feel, and most importantly, can offer that feel and the above stopping distances time after time after time after time....lap after lap.

Try doing a 30 minute track session at a brake intensive track with stock Z brakes and you'll quickly see why they are a worthwhile investment

adam
Old 08-08-2004, 06:39 AM
toothlessracer

Most members here do drive faster than the normal driver but from what I've seen on this site most members dont go to a road course type track.

it seems the 1/4 mile track is more popular and @ those events the runoff it quite long besides you get plenty of cool off time in between runs.

Which makes me think how many of us would actually benefit from the big brake kit as opposed to a good set of brake lines, pads and lube. where the difference is price is serveral thousands.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:47 AM
2003z

you are correct toothless. To the average Z driver, a big brake kit is for show only. It is really only needed on the racetrack, where they make a huge difference. That being said, the stock brembos work good enough for me on the track, because I don't come anywhere near pushing my car to its limits when I'm out there.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually know far more Z owners who road race, even if only a few weekends per year, vs drag...I don;t see many Z drag racers out there (at least not among our customers).

That being said, the stock Brembo with some good pads, lines and fluid is surely enough for most people out there. For many of us though, we have a non brembo equipped model (ie mine is an enthuasit, which I imagine is what most people bought, though could be wrong). For those people, a BBK is a far more ecomonical means to go than the usual costs of retrofitting the Brembo's.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I get what he is saying but a lot of people want them for looks too. Why else do you think people buy rims? it's not for perforance reasons, thats for sure. BBK look nice, just like rims, and body kits, thats what it is about for most people, including myself.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:37 PM
toothlessracer

The reason I put this up is that many members are getting the BBK who dont go to the track at all and are under the impression that their braking distrance will be greatly improved with the BBK.

If their after the looks and want to increase their stopping power why not get Slotted or Drilled rottors, braided brakes lines, good quaility pads, fluid and powder coat their calipers all of this for well under !k as opposed to 2.5k -5k for the BBK.