Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Track Brembos swap or hold out for BBK

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:08 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Track Brembos swap or hold out for BBK

Who here has switched from stock brakes to Track Brembos? What about Brembos to BBK (Stoptech, etc)?

I am in the position to maybe get some track brembos for a decent price, but I have been kinda looking at other BBK until now.

I dont track the car hard enough to get the BBK for 100% performance reasons, but when I do track it it will be very nice. Also I have yet to really find fault with my stock brakes (both street / race pads and AP fluid) when running them hard on a track (setting ).

Does anyone who have put the brembos on, felt they should have just put that money towards a complete BBK?

Thoughts? Really for the money it is not a bad deal for me, I just never really thought about paying someone for the brembos when I can get a BBK for a little more. This deal will probably be one too hard to pass up . . .it will save me money that is for sure.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:26 AM
azrael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this recently as well. As far as I can tell, these are the deciding factors:

Price
- Brembos are going to cost ~$2300 used for all 4 wheels
- Stoptech fronts are ~$1800 for 13" fronts, and about ~$2000 more for 12.9" rears, shipped.

Performance
- If all you care about is performance, the 13" front stoptechs are enough to combat brake fade, and $500 less than OEM Brembos. They're significantly larger than the OEM Brembos, resulting in more heat capacity.
- OEM Brembos are sufficient for most recreational track days. As your abilities improve, even the OEM Brembos eventually fade. The Z is a very heavy car, and that takes a big toll on the brake system.

Looks
- The OEM Brembos would fit all 4 wheels, so you have the BBK 'look' on all 4 corners.
- StopTech BBKs allow you to choose your own color.

I'm looking at the 13" StopTech front kit for now, and I'll add the 12.9" rear kit later. I only care about performance, and I'd like to improve my skills over time, possibly beyond the capabilities of the stock Brembos.

As a side note, an intermediate setup between these choices would be the OEM Brembo calipers with StopTech Aerorotors. The aerorotors have improved cooling over the OEM Brembos, which should help improve fade resistance.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 AM
StaticCling

I went the Stoptech BBK upgrade route and have a front 13" kit. I did this under the assumption that the rears would be out sooner or later and be less money then the front kit. Since this is not the case (rears retail at $2200 fronts at $1995) and since the rears use the same brake pad size and only a slightly larger rotor then the brembos, I am not happy with my upgrade path.

If I had to do it again, I would either get a different BBK or get the brembos. Most likely I would get the brembos and if I wanted to upgrade the fronts later I could buy a 14" or 13" front kit and sell the fronts (since the rears alone cost more then a set of used brembos). Especially since Stoptech has two piece replacement rotors for the brembos.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:42 AM
VandyZ

thanks guys, I will let you know what I decide.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:39 PM
JimRHIT

If you wanted a set of Brembos ... mine may be for sale
Old 10-05-2004, 01:03 PM
hfm

I seem to remember a comparison between Stoptechs and Brembos and between 14" and 13" as well as front only and front and rear set-ups. I think stopping distance was mere inches or a couple of feet maximum between just the 13" Stoptech fronts and a full four wheel set-up. I came to the conclusion that the best value for performance was the front 13" Stoptech kit which you can get for under $2,000.00.

When I'm done with a relatively new set of front rotors in 40-50k miles, I'll probably do the 13" Stoptech fronts and leave the rear OEMs. Sorry, I don't recall where that comparison chart is. JRitt could probably dig it up.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 AM
VandyZ

Ok, I took the deal as it was too good to pass up. I am pretty excited. I need to get SS lines and some Carbotech Bobcats (if they make them) for the brembos. Time to call carbotech! That was the one thing that I was worried about . . .I love my bobcats.