Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

OMP Gas Pedal Mod: Make heel-toe easier

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Skrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Gas Pedal Mod: Make heel-toe easier

This is a mod for all you track rats.

After I did my Stoptech BBK and installed SS brake lines with ATE Super Blue (and bleed the crap out of the system) -- my brake pedal is now rock hard and very sensitive (perfect for me).

Gratuitous pic of BBK:

However, now that the brake pedal has much less travel -- it's even tougher to heel-toe downshift. It was already hard with the skinny stock gas pedal and wide spacing -- now it was very hit or miss. (BTW, I use the rolling outside of foot method rather than the true heel and toe method -- which I find uncomfortable).

So -- Jeff Ritter @ Stoptech turned me on to a great mod, that is cheap and easy (assuming you do NOT have a base model without the stock aluminum pedals). Here is a how to:

Step 1: Go here ... buy the 1863 package:

http://www.ompusa.com/pedals.htm

Step 2: Everything you need:

1 OMP Pedal Set
1 4mm hex wrench
1 10mm boxed wrench (to hold the nut while you tighten with the hex wrench)
A good flashlight also helps.

I didn't use the clutch or brake pedal as the stock ones are fine and probably better even (I like the rubber nubs). But the gas pedal and hardware are needed.

Step 3: Before ...

These are the two holes you will use -- the hardware fits nicely right through there.

Step 4: Install the pedal

This pic shows which holes to use in the new pedal -- these will line up with the highlighted holes above.

Carefully install the pedal using the hardware that came with the set. I will not lie ... it's tricky working the nut on to the back of the screw using feel alone -- but with patience -- it can be done. Once you work the nut on with your hand -- use the 10mm box wrench to hold it, and use the hex wrench to screw it down. Don't torque the screws down too tight until you have them both on (otherwise the second screw will be hard to get on). After everything is torqued down -- you're done.

It should look like this:

It may not look like much of a mod --- but by raising the level of the gas pedal and giving moving it an extra 1/2" to the left -- it makes a world of difference. Heel-toe is a lot easier now.

Note: Originally I installed the pedal using the far right hand row of holes on the OMP pedal -- it moved the gas pedal almost a full inch closer to the brake. But I found it actually to be too close (and I felt I may accidentally hit the gas while on the brake in a panic stop).

It's a cheap and easy mod for those of us who are track rats -- happy motoring.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:18 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the idea! This is great!