best big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ZxRage
I had the Wilwoods 14" Front BBK for a few months and I really wasn't that impressed with them. I also found out that they fade easily when slowing down from speeds of 100 to 65 mph on the highways. I realized that they weren't capable of handling the abuse I was going to put them through and sold them off for a loss.

Right now I am installing a set of 4 Wheel 14" Stoptechs on my car this weekend and will post my impressions soon after. I can say this, the Stoptechs seem like a more complete kit and everything is stainless as compared to some of the rusted bolts that were on the caliper of the Wilwood kit. Also, there is an INSTALLATION MANUAL included with the kit with the proper torque specs, that was something that the Wilwood kit did not come with.
Zx...that is really strange that you had a bad experience with Wilwood. The kit I recieved came with hardened stainless steel bolts, and everythign was top quality. The fitment was perfect...no shims or anything. Just one simple bracket, and a beautiful CNC machined ultra-light caliper.

I track tested them at Roeblin Road this past weekend, and NEVER saw a hint of fade. On the back straight, I accelerated to 147mph and mashed the brakes to 40mph to catch a sharp right turn. Not once did I feel any fade...even from such high speeds. My buddy is a track instructor, and made a few laps with my car (the car driving my car in my new sig), and he also commented on the feel of the brakes.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. In my opinion, its the best looking BBK out there, and the performance is terrific. And at $3500 for a 6 piston/4piston 14inch kit....its a steal!!

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 11-15-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:58 AM
PumpedVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the problem was you only had fronts on and it was the backs that were fading?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Oh, and I forgot to mention...I was running the mildest "Street" compund pads...and they were still AMAZING!

And...they make no noise, and virtually no test. YOu have to see my wheels after a week's driving to believe me. I would say the dust has been reduced to 5% of the level of stock.

Hth,
Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 AM
PumpedVA

Well I know there are GREAT BBK out there but seeing as I am going to put all my work thought jeff at evolution I am going with the Wilwoods
Old 11-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Tex Willer

Would the WILLWOOD fit on 18" BBS rgr?

18x8.5" +23
18x9.5" +25

I'd also like to have the impression of someone tracking the willwood BBK. How does it perform?

at least moderately serious tracking, not a one time sunday lapping.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by Tex Willer
Would the WILLWOOD fit on 18" BBS rgr?

18x8.5" +23
18x9.5" +25

I'd also like to have the impression of someone tracking the willwood BBK. How does it perform?

at least moderately serious tracking, not a one time sunday lapping.
The Wilwood should fit this wheel no problem. Our BBK also fit the stock 18" wheels.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

If you look at the pic I posted, you can tell there is mad clearance between the wheel and brake caliper. So even very tight offsets should still clear. My wheels are 27 front and 24 rear.

Regarding the track, I experienced no fade, even with the street pads. i also had my buddy/instructor drive the car, and he also felt the brake feel was excellent. He is known around here is a track-god....really a great driven...so I trust his opinion.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

Here you go Adam!

Oh yeah, Endless usually supplies the street pads with their brakes too that emits no noise whatsoever and just tons of stopping power!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
ZxRage

Originally posted by gq_626
Zx...that is really strange that you had a bad experience with Wilwood. The kit I recieved came with hardened stainless steel bolts, and everythign was top quality. The fitment was perfect...no shims or anything. Just one simple bracket, and a beautiful CNC machined ultra-light caliper.

I track tested them at Roeblin Road this past weekend, and NEVER saw a hint of fade. On the back straight, I accelerated to 147mph and mashed the brakes to 40mph to catch a sharp right turn. Not once did I feel any fade...even from such high speeds. My buddy is a track instructor, and made a few laps with my car (the car driving my car in my new sig), and he also commented on the feel of the brakes.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. In my opinion, its the best looking BBK out there, and the performance is terrific. And at $3500 for a 6 piston/4piston 14inch kit....its a steal!!
GQ,
I think that you benefited from not getting the kit with the first group buy. When I first got my kit, it seemed like all of the parts were just picked out off the shelf and thrown together. The rotors weren't even assembled. Anyway, I found out a few months later that there are shims for the brake pads and new stainless steel bolts that were provided with the new kits, your shims might have already been put on the back of your brake pads before you got them.

I am wondering if I didn't call up about my dissatisfaction with my kit if I would have ever received the "upgraded and now standard" pieces.

GQ, how long have you had your kit? Wait a few months and tell me if you don't start to notice any rust buildup on the allen bolts that are on the calipers. All of mine, including the ones that mount the caliper to the bracket, were starting to rust. If I didn't get the "upgraded" bolts when I called up, then the ones on my rotor would still be rusted as well. Oh yea, and get this, when I went to replace the bolts on my rotors, a few of them were rusted so bad that they snapped off, I ended up having to pay to get a new hat sent to me. The explanation I got for having to pay for a new hat myself was that since I put the hat on the rotor in the first place, it was "MY" installation error. Because the kit didn't come with directions and because I had to assemble the hat and rotor with shitty bolts I was found to be the one who had to PAY in the end. You don't have much leverage when working with someone who won't help you out and your car is off the road waiting to be fixed.

Another thing I notied was that my SS brake lines were kinda stretched out with a sharp bend before the go into the caliper. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have to get replaced after a year or two because they started to leak.

GQ, I am not flaming you or your decision and I am happy that you enjoy your brakes. I am just letting you know what I went through and I am glad I made the change to Stoptechs and I will post a write up soon. I did not get the customer service I was looking for and I made the decision to go with a better company.

With the Wilwoods, I got what I paid for...
Old 11-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looks sweet dude thanks....still trying to decide
Old 11-17-2004, 07:33 PM
racin

Roebling Road is easy on brakes. Not saying yours won't work fine elsewhere, just that Roebling is no test for them. We use milder pads there, or half used ones that we need to finish off.
I have to add a vote for StopTech.

Originally posted by gq_626
If you look at the pic I posted, you can tell there is mad clearance between the wheel and brake caliper. So even very tight offsets should still clear. My wheels are 27 front and 24 rear.

Regarding the track, I experienced no fade, even with the street pads. i also had my buddy/instructor drive the car, and he also felt the brake feel was excellent. He is known around here is a track-god....really a great driven...so I trust his opinion.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
looks sweet dude thanks....still trying to decide
decide? TS bodykit?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on a new front bumper
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
on a new front bumper
o, try amuse men
TS is nice too, but u'll need intercooler to fill the space!
o, damn, i'm just too bored.
sorry the thread starter, i just hijacked your thread
Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Roebling Road is easy on brakes. Not saying yours won't work fine elsewhere, just that Roebling is no test for them. We use milder pads there, or half used ones that we need to finish off.
I agree completely. There isnt a lot of repeated hard braking areas....I think I posted this in my other thread on this topic. But scrubbing 110mph of speed from your car is certainly a good test of braking power and feel. Stock brakes will fade tremendously...even with one hard stop...especially down towards the end of the deceleration zone.

I'll be doing another, more technical trackday, in the next couple of months, and will advise how they feel.

I think that you benefited from not getting the kit with the first group buy. When I first got my kit, it seemed like all of the parts were just picked out off the shelf and thrown together.
ZX, I think you might be right. Any new product is going to go through some growing pains. But I just dont want people to hold that against Wilwood. The kit I got was FULLY assembled. The hats were attached to the rotors. There were no extra shims that I needed to fiddle with. It was one of the most straighforward installations I have even done. Litereally 4 bolts per caliper. Two to hold on the mounting adaptor, and two to hold the caliper to the mounting adaptor.

I have had the kit for about 2 months now, and nothing has rusted...or even remotely discolored. And It has been raining quite a bit here in NC.

Stoptech makes great products, and I know the guys there...quality people. I just want others to know there are other good track options out there, and then folks can make their own decision.