Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a Z. Drama.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
aki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure of the market there but you shouldn't pay even invoice on that car. remember invoice includes (typically) 3 months of interest "refunded" to the dealer. I paid about invoice or just below on my Touring in Feb 2003 - you shouldn't pay the same price now when the car is less a new thing.

if they're admitting damage etc then either get a lot more off their offer price ($1k? more?) or wait for the 06's. or if you want to be nice then negotiate something that doesn't cost them tons but would cost you something - like all scheduled maintenance for 36k or 48k miles or something like that - or free oil changes - etc etc.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aki
not sure of the market there but you shouldn't pay even invoice on that car. remember invoice includes (typically) 3 months of interest "refunded" to the dealer. I paid about invoice or just below on my Touring in Feb 2003 - you shouldn't pay the same price now when the car is less a new thing.

if they're admitting damage etc then either get a lot more off their offer price ($1k? more?) or wait for the 06's. or if you want to be nice then negotiate something that doesn't cost them tons but would cost you something - like all scheduled maintenance for 36k or 48k miles or something like that - or free oil changes - etc etc.
aki your your own worst nightmare. The only time a dealer will go that low on a car like the Z is when there is something wrong with it or its an unpopular color and they want to move it. Alot of times my old sales manager would discount certain cars bc they had been damaged and redone, he just wanted them off the lot before the problems started to crop up again and they had to be recovered by fill in paint. Unless your up north in the dead of winter a Z should always be sold for over invoice. Dealers are there to make money not give hand outs.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:15 AM
aki

Originally Posted by gatti-man
aki your your own worst nightmare. The only time a dealer will go that low on a car like the Z is when there is something wrong with it or its an unpopular color and they want to move it. Alot of times my old sales manager would discount certain cars bc they had been damaged and redone, he just wanted them off the lot before the problems started to crop up again and they had to be recovered by fill in paint. Unless your up north in the dead of winter a Z should always be sold for over invoice. Dealers are there to make money not give hand outs.
heh it was dead of winter (in fact it was snowing) and they couldn't get the Enth that I ordered 8 weeks before. I waited till end of March to drive the car home. I wanted a blue and it seems that up here silver and black are the most popular. I accepted frost interior. Based on my "search for your car" thing on Nissan's website, many dealers were sitting on Tourings in DB with Frost. Otherwise it's a 6MT so not weird or anything. I understand that dealers are not there to give handouts but at the same time invoice still gives them leeway. If they could bump their numbers for the month then there might be other incentives (whether from the dealer owner or from Nissan).

there's a long story too about me going to another dealer first but the rep left before I showed up (on time) and then screamed at me on voicemail (work + cell) about how irresponsible I am. wrote me an email too. So I decided that would NOT be the dealer I give my cash to and I went to this other dealer that, at one point, I actually applied for a job. They remembered me and treated me nice.

I've driven the car for 2 years and had three minor things - front tires, audio, windows - all fixed for free under warranty including two new front tires. Had a friend who does high end work auto restorations check out the car, it's fine (paint, bodywork, etc). Anyway the car's been great and I'm just itching to refer someone serious to the Good dealer.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:31 AM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by aki
heh it was dead of winter (in fact it was snowing) and they couldn't get the Enth that I ordered 8 weeks before. I waited till end of March to drive the car home. I wanted a blue and it seems that up here silver and black are the most popular. I accepted frost interior. Based on my "search for your car" thing on Nissan's website, many dealers were sitting on Tourings in DB with Frost. Otherwise it's a 6MT so not weird or anything. I understand that dealers are not there to give handouts but at the same time invoice still gives them leeway. If they could bump their numbers for the month then there might be other incentives (whether from the dealer owner or from Nissan).

there's a long story too about me going to another dealer first but the rep left before I showed up (on time) and then screamed at me on voicemail (work + cell) about how irresponsible I am. wrote me an email too. So I decided that would NOT be the dealer I give my cash to and I went to this other dealer that, at one point, I actually applied for a job. They remembered me and treated me nice.

I've driven the car for 2 years and had three minor things - front tires, audio, windows - all fixed for free under warranty including two new front tires. Had a friend who does high end work auto restorations check out the car, it's fine (paint, bodywork, etc). Anyway the car's been great and I'm just itching to refer someone serious to the Good dealer.

lol nice
Old 07-29-2005, 06:37 PM
RobDeep

Well... I bought it. I saw the old bumper. Yeah it was cracked, but that was it, and the new bumper is impeccable. Everything was finished beautifully.

I ended up getting the car the car at invoice plus a extended warranty for only $1030. 5yr/75k

OTD $33,950.

I have no complaints. I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Racer Z
Banned

I would STILL have it checked by a mechanic that you TRUST....Just to be sure! Put the Z on a lift and get the underside throughly examined...IMO.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:58 AM
RobDeep

Originally Posted by Racer Z
I would STILL have it checked by a mechanic that you TRUST....Just to be sure! Put the Z on a lift and get the underside throughly examined...IMO.
I had them check the alignment, and they inspected pretty much everything along with me. I think I'm in good shape.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:06 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Gotta admire a man that can make an informed decision. Nice job. Enjoy the ride & welcome to the club!!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:23 PM
MADDOG`

Have the dealer pay for an independent inspection of the car, by a body shop or an insurance adjustor, before you buy it to make sure there are no hidden damages behind the rear fascia. The collision system parts may need to be replaced.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Blurr350z

When buying my Z, I got about $3000 off the list price (I think the base lists at 28.5G, I got mine for about 25.5G), 1.9% financing, $500 more than the KBB value of my truck, and a Nissan factory car cover for free. If I can get that deal, then you should reconsider your deal if you're paying 500 bucks more than the list. Also, my car was hit and run while it was parked at a bar about 3 months ago. The rear bumper cover was not cracked, I guess you could say it was "creased". Well it took alot of paint off, and really gouged up the plastic. When I looked at it, I said yeah that def. needs to be replaced. Well I took it to a local Nissan dealership body shop, and they insisted that the bumper could be repaired for half the cost of replacing it. Well I said thats a load of BS, and I took it to a highly reputible Mercedes/Porsche body shop that a friend knew, and he was shocked that the Nissan shop even suggested repairing the thing. It was replaced and all fixed up, and now the paint matches the rear quarter panels better than the factory bumper cover did.

All I'm saying is, make sure they replaced that bumper cover, they might have just heated the damaged part and tried to reshape it. If thats the case, the plastic will be so brittle that in the future it will crack, cause paint to crack, whatever. So I would talk them into a better deal on the car (for cryin out loud, not many people are buyin cars now since gas shot up, so they should be pretty desperate), and even try to get money off the list even more for the car having been damaged. Car salesmen are a different bread of people, most of them will pull fast ones on you if you don't watch out. Good luck, hope my advice can save you a few thousand on your future Z.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:36 PM
paco3131

dude its only a scratch and you know these people
Old 07-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by paco3131
dude its only a scratch and you know these people
I agree if it's only a scratch if he gets something off of the price of the car. But let me say that I've working in car sales and it doesn't matter if you know the people or not the only thing that matters is the sale. They will do their best to fix it I'm sure but that doesn't mean that taking a damaged car for the same price is a good deal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
RobDeep

Originally Posted by Blurr350z
When buying my Z, I got about $3000 off the list price (I think the base lists at 28.5G, I got mine for about 25.5G), 1.9% financing, $500 more than the KBB value of my truck, and a Nissan factory car cover for free. If I can get that deal, then you should reconsider your deal if you're paying 500 bucks more than the list. Also, my car was hit and run while it was parked at a bar about 3 months ago. The rear bumper cover was not cracked, I guess you could say it was "creased". Well it took alot of paint off, and really gouged up the plastic. When I looked at it, I said yeah that def. needs to be replaced. Well I took it to a local Nissan dealership body shop, and they insisted that the bumper could be repaired for half the cost of replacing it. Well I said thats a load of BS, and I took it to a highly reputible Mercedes/Porsche body shop that a friend knew, and he was shocked that the Nissan shop even suggested repairing the thing. It was replaced and all fixed up, and now the paint matches the rear quarter panels better than the factory bumper cover did.

All I'm saying is, make sure they replaced that bumper cover, they might have just heated the damaged part and tried to reshape it. If thats the case, the plastic will be so brittle that in the future it will crack, cause paint to crack, whatever. So I would talk them into a better deal on the car (for cryin out loud, not many people are buyin cars now since gas shot up, so they should be pretty desperate), and even try to get money off the list even more for the car having been damaged. Car salesmen are a different bread of people, most of them will pull fast ones on you if you don't watch out. Good luck, hope my advice can save you a few thousand on your future Z.

I got the invoice from the body shop on everything that was done to the car. It's all good. Thanks for the feedback.