Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a 5AT! :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Landbarger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Why is then that all of the supercars now have a clutchless transmission??? I realize that our manual mode AT is far different from the F1 sequential manual gearbox, but neither have a clutch..."

Ok, let's all come back to reality for a little bit and not try to compare a 5AT Z to an Enzo/MC12/etc. I personally believe the sports car ideal is all about you and your vehicle, and being able to control all the aspects of how it performs. This idea of 'I'm in control' is a big part of both spirited driving and actual racing. Why is handling so important? Because if you're car has good handling characteristics and you can drive it at the limit, you're in more control than the next guy (assuming he has a lesser-performing vehicle). So why don't we all drive 20hp go-karts? Because the limits are so low, hence why we want a car that strikes a balance between power and handling: we want enough handling to function at the limits, but enough power to make those limits impressively high.

As far as purists go, I don't really believe the Z is a purist vehicle so much as a really good compromise, anyhow. The S2000 is more 'purist' than the Z, but less 'purist' than a Lotus Elise, which is less 'purist' than an Ariel Atom...until we're talking about an F1 car. So that whole idea is only about being relatively more 'purist' than the next guy. Guys who are 'purist' T2 and autocrossers don't necessarily see my A/C, radio, passenger seat, etc. as being necessary for the Z to have, but I don't mind that. The only real issue is that the auto and manual transmissions are a more obvious difference. It's a shame some people have been hassled for having a 5AT, I don't particularly like them, but see how they serve a purpose in the Z lineup. In any case, we shouldn't be highjacking this thread (a little hypocritical here?)...this guy obviously need a 5AT, since the woman is more important than either Z.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
tlewis

Originally Posted by Landbarger
It's a shame some people have been hassled for having a 5AT, I don't particularly like them, but see how they serve a purpose in the Z lineup. In any case, we shouldn't be highjacking this thread (a little hypocritical here?)...this guy obviously need a 5AT, since the woman is more important than either Z.
Well put. I personally prefer the MT to at AT (even though mine is the 5AT), but people shouldn't be flamed for choosing the 5AT.

jberzerker--I think the 5AT will suit you (and you wife) just fine. I don't think you are giving up too much, because this car can can still really move, and handle well with the 5AT... Don't let people flame you for not getting the MT, just because they are simple minded.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
CervanteZ

I say go with the AT, or MT if you're willing to sacrifice your Z trying to teach her how to drive it.

Last edited by CervanteZ; 08-18-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:52 AM
KShep

You should get the transmission that best suits the needs of the driver.

5AT here btw.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
jberzerker

Yeah well most likely I will be getting the 5AT, it will still be fun. With the SC she will still haul so thats cool with me.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:30 PM
jamnew

The sound the 6mt makes just kills everything else.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Low J.
Banned

5AT's in sports cars are there to appeal to the lowest common denominator.....that being someone who actually doesn't want to or can't actually drive a sports car properly. They sure aren't making automatics for sports car enthusiasts.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
MeetJoeAsian

tell her "sports car...AUTOMATIC? ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR FRICKING MIND???"....hehehe....then tell her "if you're gonna buy an automatic sports car, then might as well buy a Scion xB!!!"...and oh, who's car is this gonna be? if it's yours, then you should make the decision, so in the case when she's ready to buy HER new car, you will let her choose EVERYTHING in that car....otherwise, you'd have a say in HER car..tell her that....if she doesn't make you sleep on the couch for the night...then you're sweet....if you have to sleep on the couch, then it'll give her a night to think it over cuz she'd be so pissed, and then when she wakes the next morning, she'll realize how she was wrong and let you choose your car...
OR....
just go out and buy a 6 speed...and then come home and let her get pissed....hey, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
jberzerker

you sure beat that subject down to a pulp! I think its time to move on Lowj.

Last edited by jberzerker; 08-18-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:22 PM
jberzerker

Too many mixed messages, i'm going to the dealership tonight so I guess i'll have to figure it out in the next few hours.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:45 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by Low J.
5AT's in sports cars are there to appeal to the lowest common denominator.....that being someone who actually doesn't want to or can't actually drive a sports car properly. They sure aren't making automatics for sports car enthusiasts.
total troll post... you already made your point in this thread what good is adding this?

This is exactly the kind of immature bs I am talking about... are you sure you even want a Z? People might associate you with jerks like Low J.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
narkotic

My daily driver is a 5AT 350Z... I have a 6MT twin turbo G35 but sometimes I just prefer that put it in drive and go.. .and lemme tell you, it GOES. That auto is wonderful...
Old 08-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Aggro_Al

I think you should just go and test drive both and choose which ever you like the best. If both you and your wife are going to use the car and your wife can't drive a manual or doesn't wants to learn to drive a manual and you value your relationship then your decision is already made, it will be the 5AT. If after test driving the 5AT you can't see yourself enjoying the Z. Move on to another car that both you and your wife will be happy with.

If you are worried about performance, the 5AT performs just as well as the 6MT. If you factor in driving skill, then there are very few who have the skill to consistently outperform the 5AT with the 6MT. One thing you might want to consider if you are getting the 5AT is that the tranny is driver adaptive. It learns the characteristics and driving style of the driver. When the car is tuned to the driver it makes it much more fun. If two or more people share the car frequently it never really adapts to one driver.

As far as the car enthusiat thing, this is my opinion. A real car enthusiats finds a way to appreciate and even enjoy any car that they are presented with. Some may find it in the pride of ownership. Some may find it in the history and legacy of the car. Some may find it in the technology or whatever else floats their boat. My point is that regardless of the car or, even less so, the transmission there is something to appreciate about any car and be enthusiastic about it and that everybody derives their pleasure in different ways. I personally find my pleasure in being able to learn the essence of each car I drive. My fun comes from learning and mastering the timing, rhythm and coordination of the car regardless of type of car and it's transmission. There are things that you may not like about a particular car and that is fine but don't attribute your dislikes to a person or group of people you don't even know with deragatory remarks and put downs. It is the car you dislike and hopefully not the person. Just enjoy the ride.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlewis
Why is then that all of the supercars now have a clutchless transmission??? I realize that our manual mode AT is far different from the F1 sequential manual gearbox, but neither have a clutch...

Good Point! Remember the old school Ferrari Testarossa's with the Manual Tranny that had the gated shifter, like the one Don Johnson used to drive in "Miami Vice"?? LOL Crockett used to grimace everytime he had to shift gears

No wonder Ferrari went with the paddle shifters.....Do they still make a true manual shift with those type of super high-end exotic sports cars anymore??
Old 08-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Aggro_Al

According to the guys at Top Gear, 9 out of every 10 Ferrari's sold have the automatic F1 Shifters.

I think the Porsche Carrera GT still only comes in manual. I think most of the new exotics have F1 type or Tiptronic type automatic shifters now.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 08-18-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by hypeiv
total troll post... you already made your point in this thread what good is adding this?

This is exactly the kind of immature bs I am talking about... are you sure you even want a Z? People might associate you with jerks like Low J.

Don't be a retard......my post is true......don't try to just cast aside my opinion by calling me names......talk about immature. If you think that automatics are not put in sports cars to appeal to the lowest common denominator of car buyers then you're just ignorant.......because that means you probably don't even know what lowest common denominator means.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
According to the guys at Top Gear, 9 out of every 10 Ferrari's sold have the automatic F1 Shifters.

I think the Porsche Carrera GT still only comes in manual. I think most of the new exotics have F1 type or Tiptronic type automatic shifters now.

The big difference here is that those cars do not have automatic transmissions....they have manual trannies with F1 style electronic gear selectors. I have no problelm with those mechanisms....hell, anything that can allow me to shift quicker is fantastic and I'd love to have it. It's the slushboxes with full auto that I think don't belong.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:44 AM
dcmidnight

Originally Posted by hypeiv

Ignorant troll post at that. I drove manuals all my life when I lived in NH. There's a big difference between driving a 5 speed on open, empty backroads with no one in sight and commuting 2 hours a day in Beltway traffic. Trolls like you are what give Z drivers a bad name and actually scare people off from buying what is a great car - AT or MT. Just because I didnt buy a MT doesnt mean I'm too stupid to walk on the same ground you walk on nor does it mean I cant drive a MT. It means AT makes the most sense for me.

Buy the transmission that makes the most sense in your situation, thats the bottom line.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:25 AM
maxipad96

I am in the same boat as alot of people. I would prefer to have the MT and have driven MT's my whole life, but my new job and rest of my proffessional career is 40+ miles of city driving away. There is absolutely no way I could sit in standstill traffic and deal w/ the MT. So I bought the AT and only regret it every blue moon. Overall there was no other choice for me. So Z "purists" look down on me if you like. I really don't care I love the car, don't get a sore knee everytime I drive it and its just as "fast" as your MT.

On a side note. I actually had a valet parker give me **** about my AT. I pull up with my GF in the passenger seat, he opens the door looks in and goes.... oh its an auto that sucks. I was like WTF do you drive, yeah thats right you little punk. So the the attitude against auto's is beyond just the Z forum, the funny thing is most people think their civic 5-speed is faster than an auto Z just cause its a MT. Needless to say that little ***** didn't get a tip that night.

Last edited by maxipad96; 08-19-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:27 AM
crjpilot

I like how MT Zealots act as if driving a manual is one of the hardest things to do and only a select few can do it..

It's very easy, it's just a pain in traffic if you have to do it every day. I've done it for too long, and now I don't feel like I should have to. In response to the argument "Then why buy a sports car?": Well, the auto is still very quick, and you can still open it up on back roads. Thats why.

It's been my experience, like alot of you have seen, that the only people who make fun of autos are guys who:

1) Don't drive a manual to begin with.
2) Got their MT Z bought for them.
3) One with really low self esteem. Makes them feel better and more of a man to drive a standard.

It's been discussed to death, the MT vs AT.. Which is better? The one that YOU want is better. Thats the real answer.

Quick Reply: Buying a 5AT! :(