Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a 5AT! :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 PM
jberzerker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 5AT! :(

Well i'm buying a Z in a couple days and my wife is giving me the gears on how much she doesn't want a 6spd. I'm unsure about the decision because the auto would be nice in traffic, but the Stick would be hella fun. So I told her if I buy an auto, i'm buying a SC right away. I just have one question, can you break the tires off the line with an auto??? I mean without breakstands or anything?? I have an IS300 auto with e-shift and its boring as hell slow. I just don't want to waste my money if i'm not feeling the power. Oh and i'm totally open to flaming because of the Auto! Feel free haha Also i'm not going to be doing any track racing or anything maybe a little drag, I just want to have a fast nice car.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
VQ35DEV6

Hey what's the sad face for? YOUR BUYING A Z!!! 6 speed or Auto, they are both great, but the 6 speed will always be faster, than the stock auto gear box. Don't ask on the board ask yourself what you really need. The majority of the census will tell you 6 speed straight up. But if there's too much traffic you should get an auto, but at the same time, if you have no room to floor your baby once in awhile, whats the point of buying a sports car? It's all up to you bro, think about what you want and what you need, that's the best advice I can give you. Enjoy your new Z, either way it will still be a Z!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:08 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have your heart set on a manual you will never like the auto no matter how much power you have. People are going to tell you the sport shift is great, but i disagree, it really sucks.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Sensation350Z

Drive them both, convince your wife. If you don`t have kids, get the manual and tell your woman to drive the beater
Old 08-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Act of God

I bought an S4 with the tiptronic and hated it from like the second day I owned the car. Biggest mistake ever, thank god those bastards stole it out of my driveway!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Desimale

Tell your wife who wears the pants in the family lol. I think you will seriously regret getting the z in an auto unless you spend 3 hours a day in bumper to bumper traffic. You will feel much less connected to the car.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
B-Unit

For my 2000th post, im going to say something noble.

"FOLLOW YOUR HEART. IT'LL NEVER LEAD YOU WRONG"
Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
rockinbboy

buy the manual and then teach her to drive stick.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:15 PM
MADDOG`

Depends on what you want, who is going to drive the car the most, whether or not you are going to rely in the Z as a daily driver (have a Track/6MT, had to drive mine daily for about a week while my daily driver was in the shop - no fun in stop and go traffic) but for giggles and grins, weekends or days off driving on the open road or on a track, the 6MT is the only way to go. Of course, I could be prejudiced. <G>
Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM
FLZ_Boy

My boss asked me one day if I drive manual with my Z. I said "yes." She said, "Sports cars should be manual only. What's the point in having an automatic?" I agreed with my boss. (okay, so I didn't want to get fired).
Old 08-17-2005, 08:34 PM
MADDOG`

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
My boss asked me one day if I drive manual with my Z. I said "yes." She said, "Sports cars should be manual only. What's the point in having an automatic?" I agreed with my boss. (okay, so I didn't want to get fired).
hehehee...but I ascribe to the same ethic. Sports cars just aren't as much fun with an AT, IMHO.

Is not getting fired the only reason you agreed, FLZ_Boy?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:41 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by MADDOG`
hehehee...but I ascribe to the same ethic. Sports cars just aren't as much fun with an AT, IMHO.

Is not getting fired the only reason you agreed, FLZ_Boy?
The boss is always right. The more amusing part, she doesn't drive any type of sports car and prefers automatics.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends if you're going to be driving it two hours a day in stop and go traffic doesn't it. As "fun" as a stick is (wow a clutch!) depressing the clutch 20 times a minute for an hour at a time is a whole lot of fun.

For me the choice was made easier by the accident I suffered aboard a warship on December 31st 1999. I fell down into Main Machinery Room #2 on the starboard side catching the toes on my right foot on a pipe. They got pressed back about five inches further than they should/could go.

Pain in my ever constant companion now.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
B-Unit

PS paul, are you interested in cruising down to anaheim with me and a few other 909'ers?? Lemme know.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHO'S car will it be?? If YOU are the one doing most or all of the driving, definitely get the 6spd and skip the AT. She can always learn to drive a stick on a used beater.

Sounds like she wants to be able to drive the Z when she wants to, but can't drive a 6spd....what's the story, bub?

Last edited by Racer Z; 08-18-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 AM
DZ2005

I love drivin a stick cuz everytime a chick gets in the car they always look at you like you know wtf ur doin and they seem to think it's cool or something, yeah you guys know what i'm talkin about.....Anyways, guess that doesn't apply since ur married but I always love that feeling, if you can drive a stick pretty smooth girls love it-
Old 08-18-2005, 04:08 AM
sigsauer87

Originally Posted by DZ2005
I love drivin a stick cuz everytime a chick gets in the car they always look at you like you know wtf ur doin and they seem to think it's cool or something, yeah you guys know what i'm talkin about.....Anyways, guess that doesn't apply since ur married but I always love that feeling, if you can drive a stick pretty smooth girls love it-
+1

Even though I do have a 5AT...I know what you mean, since I have owned previous manual sport cars. But some of the girls that get in my car are just retarded (and hot). In the Z I usually use the tiptronic mode and some of the girls that get in look at me and always ask "so is that a 6 speed ". HAHAHA...

Funny thing is...some of those chicks that asked me that drive stick
Old 08-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
buy the manual and then teach her to drive stick.
+1......it's not hard......I'll never understand the whole deal with women wanting automatics. My wife is the opposite....she refuses to own any car with an automatic......my wife rocks!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 AM
crjpilot

I'm going to need to agree with most of the previous posts here. If it's your car and you want a manual, go for it. You can always teach her how to drive one if she needs to use the car, it's really a no brainer and it can be taught in a few minutes honestly.

But.. I will tell you this. I use my Z as a daily driver, and there are many many times I'm very thankful to have an automatic. Manuals get REALLY old, REALLY quick in heavy traffic. Yeah, there is that occasional time when I'll wish I had the MT... But not enough to overcome the times I'm glad I'm in an auto.

So just give it some real thought. Bottom line is it's your car, and none of us here can decide what you want.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:04 AM
jberzerker

She will be the one who actually drives is everyday to work and home. I have a truck for work so I will only be driving the car maybe in the evenings and weekends. I just don't want her to crash the damn thing because of inexperience.

Quick Reply: Buying a 5AT! :(