Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

350Z or G35?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005 | 04:02 PM
MidnightRun

Default 350Z or G35?

I have refrained from asking this question numerous times, but after browsing and searching the forums for the past couple of months, the time has come to make a decision. I am considering buying a new car right now, with the aforementioned cars at the top of my list. I keep going back and forth the more I read, so I need some feedback. Obviously I expect you guys to be a bit biased, but please be as honest as possible.

From the outset, the 350Z has really been in 2nd place because of all the problems associated with the earlier production years. Recently, I have read the the newer models have addressed these flaws and the Z is now making my decision extremely hard.

I am 22 and still in college, but I graduate in a year and then its probably off to law school. I have a steady nice paying job considering I am a full time college student, but price is of importance to me. I can afford both, but obviously would prefer the cheaper option in terms of total payout for the car and insurance if I can get the same satisfaction out of both cars! Insurance worries me, but I have an extremely clean record. No wrecks and no tickets!

So help me out here. Buy a G35 Coupe or 350Z? Here is my mindset so far:

G35 Pros
1) Preferred Styling
2) A Bit More Luxury All Around
3) Cheaper Insurance Rates?
G35 Cons
1) More Expensive? But How Much?
2) Back Seat: Nice to have, but I'll more than likely never use it.

350Z Pros
1) Styling Still OK
2) No Back Seat
3) A Bit More Sporty
4) Less Expensive? But How Much?
350Z Cons
1) Higher Insurance Rates?
2) Less Luxury

The decision between 5AT or 6 Speed has yet to be resolved. While I am swaying toward 5AT, the fact that I'll have a daily driver makes me want to go for the 6 Speed knowing I'll have the auto beater for going to work and school, etc. Getting a 6 speed would be more tempting with the Z, while getting a 5AT would be more tempting with the G.

Also worth noting is that I do qualify for VPP Pricing because of my job.

So what does everyone think? Please chime in! I know it will ultimately be my decision, but various perspectives is never a bad idea!
Old 10-18-2005 | 05:48 PM
FreeBaGeL

Honestly, I heavily prefer the Z mainly because it is more sporty and has IMO way better styling.

If you think the G35 has better styling, and since you can't decided on AT or MT it doesn't sound like you're a speed enthusiast, it sounds like the G35 is the car for you if you can afford it.

Again, the way I look at it is the G35 is the more practical/luxurious, but less stylish/sporty version of the Z. If the G35 has better style in your opinion, and if you're not overly interested in performace, it doesn't really sound like you have any reason to get the Z outside of $$.

Btw, if you don't mind my asking roughly how much are you bringing in a year (PM me if you wish, or don't answer if this question is out of line). I wonder because I've just graduated and started a full time job and am trying to figure out if a $27k or $28k car is something I can reallistically afford.
Old 10-18-2005 | 05:52 PM
cessna

Sounds like the G to me.....
That is if you want luxury, and the overall 2+2 seating yet want a ''sporty car'' all at the same time...
Regardless of G vs. Z, I'd go with the 6 speed....
Old 10-18-2005 | 06:41 PM
kpiskin

It's all personal preference. You should really try to look at both together at the same time. That will help a lot. I'd recommend that if you buy used, get the Z. If you buy new get the G. If you can only afford bare bones, just go with the Z, since you can get the basic package for a lot less.
Old 10-18-2005 | 07:19 PM
davidv

This is a 350Z forum so naturally we’re a bit biased. Both are fine cars. Drive both and buy the one that you like.
Old 10-18-2005 | 07:31 PM
MidnightRun

Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL
Honestly, I heavily prefer the Z mainly because it is more sporty and has IMO way better styling.

If you think the G35 has better styling, and since you can't decided on AT or MT it doesn't sound like you're a speed enthusiast, it sounds like the G35 is the car for you if you can afford it.

Again, the way I look at it is the G35 is the more practical/luxurious, but less stylish/sporty version of the Z. If the G35 has better style in your opinion, and if you're not overly interested in performace, it doesn't really sound like you have any reason to get the Z outside of $$.

Btw, if you don't mind my asking roughly how much are you bringing in a year (PM me if you wish, or don't answer if this question is out of line). I wonder because I've just graduated and started a full time job and am trying to figure out if a $27k or $28k car is something I can reallistically afford.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head as to where I currently stand. The G simply sounds a lot more practical to me. Reliability and comfort wise, the G seems like the better choice. These are the features I am currently swaying toward, so the G has the upside in that respect. On the other hand, will I really notice that big of a difference in this department compared to the Z?

Performance is of importance to me, but it's not a high priority. I plan on simply doing some basic mods, like wheels, suspension, exhaust, intake, etc. Nothing major performance or body wise. I invested tons of money into my DSM, and although I enjoyed it, it got old and I realized it was not worth the investment in the long run.

Concerning the AT or 6 Speed question, I originally found myself adamant on the 5AT, but realizing I would drive the G/Z only for fun made me rethink why I was avoiding the 6 speed with the new car. I am less likely to encounter the situations for which I demanded a 5AT. The only other big question then is the reliability of a 5AT, as opposed to the 6 Speed.

Originally Posted by cessna
Sounds like the G to me.....
That is if you want luxury, and the overall 2+2 seating yet want a ''sporty car'' all at the same time...
Regardless of G vs. Z, I'd go with the 6 speed....
I actually prefer the 2 seater. The only downsides are insurance rates might be higher going that route.

Originally Posted by kpiskin
It's all personal preference. You should really try to look at both together at the same time. That will help a lot. I'd recommend that if you buy used, get the Z. If you buy new get the G. If you can only afford bare bones, just go with the Z, since you can get the basic package for a lot less.
I'll be buying new since VPP is an option to me. I am looking at most of the mid-level packages for both cars.
Old 10-19-2005 | 12:43 PM
95snoozer

g35 6 speed
Old 10-19-2005 | 01:56 PM
TK2005

The performance difference is so small that it should not even be a concern. Pick the one that looks better to you. The Z puts you more in tune with the road. Whether or not that is a good thing is up to you.
Old 10-19-2005 | 02:21 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Drive both; choose one that floats your boat the most.